The Road to the 2020 Grandaddy! Captain MattyD-MPLS aka Dimples

Nice start Cap. Can’t put too much stock into one round. We all know improving is a process so stay the course and continue to execute your long term plan and your game will be in good form come December.

I know you're only one round in, but what area of your game will receive the most focus between now and December? Or is it a moving target depending on how your game is going?

Alright the dust has settled a bit and youve probably had some time to process everything. I have a few questions for ya!

If you were fit today at the ECPC based on the current line of clubs/shafts, what do you think your bag would look like?

Would also love to see @dacatalyst41 respond to this question too!

Alright the dust has settled a bit and youve probably had some time to process everything. I have a few questions for ya!

If you were fit today at the ECPC based on the current line of clubs/shafts, what do you think your bag would look like?

What's up my man! Hard to say what I would be fit into considering how wonky my swing got that day at ECPC, but on an average day, I'd say my bag would look similar to what I'm gaming now.
Mavrik 9* in Ventus Black 7S or Ventus Blue 7something
Mavrik Max 3w and 5w in Ventus Blue 7s
Mavrik 3H for sure!
Mavrik Pro irons 5-AW maybe? I've hit them better than the Mavrik irons, but possibly some because the profile is closer to what I'm gaming now.
Not sure what shafts I'd be fit into as I've made some significant swing changes since I was last there.
MD5 54* and PM Grind 58*
Putter is a tough question. I lean toward the TT Ten because it's SO GOOD but the TT Marxman has my eye and rolls really well.

Okay back to the man of the thread, Captain Cold!

I know you're only one round in, but what area of your game will receive the most focus between now and December? Or is it a moving target depending on how your game is going?

Right now it is going to be getting off the tee. It cost me dearly yesterday. All of my over par holes were because of bad tee shots. That usually isn't an issue for me so it will come around. The bulk of my prep is going to be done on or around the green. I want to be more confident playing different kinds of pitches, chips and flops if necessary. Like everyone's game, there will be times I need to focus on different things. Here is to 7 more months of prep to do THP proud on and most importantly off the course.

This is something that I have had fun with every day. It is hard not to dream about what my bag is going to look like.

My current thoughts are:
Driver: Mavrik 9* Fade setting - Ventus Black 6 or 7x.
3 Wood: Mavrik Sub Zero 3+ - Ventus Blue 7x
5 Wood: Mavrik 5 - Ventus Blue 7x
Epic Forged 4 or 5 Iron Depending on Gapping - Thinking GD Tour AD DI 85X
Irons: Apex Combo Set 5-pw - KBS CTaper Lite X
Wedges: Jaws MD5 Tour Grey with Black Onyx Dynamic Gold s400 48 and 54 bent to 53
Pm Grind Tour Grey with Black Onyx Dynamic Gold s400 60*
Putter: Triple Track 10S 34"

What's up my man! Hard to say what I would be fit into considering how wonky my swing got that day at ECPC, but on an average day, I'd say my bag would look similar to what I'm gaming now.
Mavrik 9* in Ventus Black 7S or Ventus Blue 7something
Mavrik Max 3w and 5w in Ventus Blue 7s
Mavrik 3H for sure!
Mavrik Pro irons 5-AW maybe? I've hit them better than the Mavrik irons, but possibly some because the profile is closer to what I'm gaming now.
Not sure what shafts I'd be fit into as I've made some significant swing changes since I was last there.
MD5 54* and PM Grind 58*
Putter is a tough question. I lean toward the TT Ten because it's SO GOOD but the TT Marxman has my eye and rolls really well.

Okay back to the man of the thread, Captain Cold!
The mav pros are so good, wouldn’t surprise me at all to see you game some of those! And the putters in this release are so good, I’m wanting to purchase a few extras just for fun!

Right now it is going to be getting off the tee. It cost me dearly yesterday. All of my over par holes were because of bad tee shots. That usually isn't an issue for me so it will come around. The bulk of my prep is going to be done on or around the green. I want to be more confident playing different kinds of pitches, chips and flops if necessary. Like everyone's game, there will be times I need to focus on different things. Here is to 7 more months of prep to do THP proud on and most importantly off the course.

This is something that I have had fun with every day. It is hard not to dream about what my bag is going to look like.

My current thoughts are:
Wedges: Jaws MD5 Tour Grey with Black Onyx Dynamic Gold s400 48 and 54 bent to 53
I loved doing this last fall especially as we started to hear some leaks of what was to come out in 2020.

And it’s funny...have you seen my setup? Well if you haven’t, you basically have it listed right here lol

I’m in a SZ driver though and a regular 3wood and 3 hybrid over a 5wood. I think you’d really like the x forged UT too in place of the EF driving iron. Apex combo is deadly and you wouldn’t go wrong there but the Mav Pros might also be something you’d probably get along with. Love it Matt!

My current thoughts are:
Goodluck with all your Grandaddy prep. If I was in your shoes every time I was out on the course I'd have a huge smile on my face knowing what I was working towards!

I loved doing this last fall especially as we started to hear some leaks of what was to come out in 2020.

And it’s funny...have you seen my setup? Well if you haven’t, you basically have it listed right here lol

I’m in a SZ driver though and a regular 3wood and 3 hybrid over a 5wood. I think you’d really like the x forged UT too in place of the EF driving iron. Apex combo is deadly and you wouldn’t go wrong there but the Mav Pros might also be something you’d probably get along with. Love it Matt!

I am completely open to what works best and the fitter thinks. I wouldn't be mad at a Super Hybrid either. :)

Goodluck with all your Grandaddy prep. If I was in your shoes every time I was out on the course I'd have a huge smile on my face knowing what I was working towards!

I am definitely smiling from ear to ear most times of the day. I played the ball in my avatar hoping the guys I played with asked me about it!
HAHA

I am definitely smiling from ear to ear most times of the day. I played the ball in my avatar hoping the guys I played with asked me about it!
HAHA
Awesome! Anyone ask?

Unfortunately, no! They weren't very serious golfers, more of just trying to get out and play.
And I have to keep in mind that the G only has a special place for those that know the Grandaddy. So many custom Truvis options out there, this might just look like any other one to the untrained eye.

HAHA
I should've gone more @init.6 on that stash. I did not come home with as many as I should have.

I should've gone more @init.6 on that stash. I did not come home with as many as I should have.

Me too, I think I only got a dozen but I was concerned with weight limit on my travel bag and I had to bring all my THP Championship Swag back.

Unfortunately, no! They weren't very serious golfers, more of just trying to get out and play.
Haha I tell literally every golfer I play with about the grandaddy. Some don’t care or maybe just don’t believe me. Others ask multiple times if I get to keep the clubs 😂

@Duffer Waldorf, I was not messing around! As soon as Finley said he would prefer not to have to lug them back, I had to take my shot at seconds. I'm sitting pretty on these G's waiting for golf season to start so I can brag about hitting the island green in one.

(OK, the fringe in one... on the second day... and 2 putted. Whatever!)

HAHA
I told a friend about the TEEm and they just said I was lying and I bought a new driver... I would hate to even try to explain the awesomeness of the Granddaddy, but Boy would I love to tell them before I went and then show them pictures after!

First real range session of the year tonight. It was good to get out and have balls go in the general direction you want them to.

I also spent a lot of time working on 8 iron bump and runs. I haven’t used that shot in a long time and it took some time to get distance control down.

18 months to go.

Week 2 of league play went much better! Got off to a slow start bogeying 3 of the first 4. I rebounded nicely hitting every green and fairway the last 5, playing them in 1 under with a nice 2 putt birdie on the last.

6 of 7 fairways
7 of 9 greens
18 putts

We have one of our weekend “majors” Saturday and looking forward to that.

That chevron is going to take a beating!

A few nights ago I was flipping thru the channels and saw a Michael Breed show and being the golf sicko that I am, I watched a few minutes and found a very helpful tip on the takeaway.

He sliced a 2 tone nerf football so that he could get the center of it on his shaft so that one of the colors is on top and one is on bottom. He wanted the top color to always being pointing at the ball. If you opened the face too fast it would show the bottom color. I didn’t buy a nerf football but I got the gist of the drill.

I took it to the range tonight and hit most shots exactly how I wanted to. Hopefully it can transition to the course on Sunday in a course vs course event.

A few nights ago I was flipping thru the channels and saw a Michael Breed show and being the golf sicko that I am, I watched a few minutes and found a very helpful tip on the takeaway.

He sliced a 2 tone nerf football so that he could get the center of it on his shaft so that one of the colors is on top and one is on bottom. He wanted the top color to always being pointing at the ball. If you opened the face too fast it would show the bottom color. I didn’t buy a nerf football but I got the gist of the drill.

I took it to the range tonight and hit most shots exactly how I wanted to. Hopefully it can transition to the course on Sunday in a course vs course event.
I like listening and watching him, he explains things easily in a very understandable way.

Back