The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember that there are ups and downs, and that the goal is long term overall improvement.

I've been stuck in one of those downward trends, but I'm climbing my way back out. The upside to that is that each time I have to find my way back out, it helps me build a better understanding of what I need to do and why, rather than the good shots just being a mystery lurking somewhere waiting to come out.

Putting and irons this week, though I want to keep the driver swing going as well. Not happy with my approach shot performance at all right now. I hit some greens and made some ok shots, but wasted too many opportunities yesterday.

I spent a few hours on the range this morning at Reunion. Basically driver, wedge, and putter. I really focused on going through a solid routine before each shot and it was a tremendous help. If I only found that chipping area earlier I would have spent more time there this weekend. They have a spot that is 5x5 mat that is over sand so you don't destroy the grass when you practice chipping. I think this is something I can build in my back yard easily and it would be so much fun to practice on.

My right ring finger has a large growth on it that rubs raw and bleeds when I hit balls too many days in a row. Any experts know if maybe this is from a bad grip? It's right where the 2 hands meet up. I may just start going 2 gloves

I get a sore spot on my right index Chunky. I tape it up before I put a glove on today and it was good to go.

i tape the bottom of my right index, as well as the top of my right ring finger.
if not, major blisters....i assume it's from gripping the club slightly incorrectly or because i'm awesome. either way, i'm not changing my grip because of it.

athletic tape works great or even that self adhesive mesh tape is ok, both in my bag.
i buy the 1.5" or 2" and then just rip it in half to cover both fingers....lasts forever that way.

Definitely beats two-gloving it. I've done that and it stinks.

dcbrad and i ventured out for 36 on Saturday and it was great work.
and i think the drunker we got, the better we played....good times.

my short game was hot. hopefully it stays as such.

Definitely beats two-gloving it. I've done that and it stinks.

i've got those nice FootJoy Rain gloves, which are great
but even in rain or cold weather, i just can't get the right feel with 2 gloves on...

i've got those nice FootJoy Rain gloves, which are great
but even in rain or cold weather, i just can't get the right feel with 2 gloves on...

I have some forged Mizzie rain gloves, but even they leave something to be desired.

dcbrad and i ventured out for 36 on Saturday and it was great work.
and i think the drunker we got, the better we played....good times.

my short game was hot. hopefully it stays as such.

Lol, Berry Weiss Leinenkugel is wonderful, but it was nice to enjoy a few beers out on the course and play. I think my scrambling percentage was at 80% on that last 9 we played. Who needs to hit a GIR anyways?!

Lunch break session today, and I'm finally coming out of the woods from the month long plague of tops and shanks.

Every club in the bag felt great today, even my 5I (which usually gives me fits). I focused on maintaining my spine angle and rotating around it instead of the sway that I couldn't tell I was doing before. Everything came back together like it was never gone, and even my tremendous driver slice disappeared.

Nice work Sharkman!

I got in a little Texas wind range session today. Worked on solid shots with the PW with a strong L/R wind. It started out rough, but finally came around. Broke out the 8i for the second bucket, and I started the same. Once I finally got that correctly, I was hitting some good shots. All it takes is one little mistake in my swing and I have the hardest time getting back on track. I am definitely ready to get back into lessons. Just not sure how I can get it worked into the schedule.

I got in a little Texas wind range session today. Worked on solid shots with the PW with a strong L/R wind. It started out rough, but finally came around. Broke out the 8i for the second bucket, and I started the same. Once I finally got that correctly, I was hitting some good shots. All it takes is one little mistake in my swing and I have the hardest time getting back on track. I am definitely ready to get back into lessons. Just not sure how I can get it worked into the schedule.

All you Texans and your winds.....

Need more work on my tempo this week. My work paid off this past weekend, just need to keep it going.

Lunch break session today, and I'm finally coming out of the woods from the month long plague of tops and shanks.

Every club in the bag felt great today, even my 5I (which usually gives me fits). I focused on maintaining my spine angle and rotating around it instead of the sway that I couldn't tell I was doing before. Everything came back together like it was never gone, and even my tremendous driver slice disappeared.
I love it when those days happen, it feels really grooved, nicely done!!!

Got in a range session between storms today. Went really well. Starting to really stoke the ball well.

Spent an equal amount of time on chipping today. Trying to dedicate time to certain things and not every day being a "total workout" so to speak.

Wednesday will be 20-50 yard shots.

Went to the range and hit full shots with my PW, 6 iron and Driver. The last time out the course I was losing everything right. Today at the range I was much straighter. The only bad thing was I'm still hitting my PW way too high. Probably losing 15 yards because I'm hitting it too high. Weird thing was I was hitting my 6 iron a perfect trajectory. The Driver was the real winner of the day. After struggling with it early in the season I think I got things figured out and I was crushing it dead straight with a perfect trajectory shot after shot. I don't know what is up with my PW though, I guess I'm not de-lofting the club enough. I need to figure things out and get that trajectory down.

I hit the ball better today than I have since November. It was such a simple fix. I hate myself for wasting 5 or so months.

Also, my full swing with wedges is coming around. I've been trying to model it after Tiger's, and it's really starting to work. I am able to really coil up my upper body and then just release it. I'm finding it easier to square the face back up at impact and I'm seeing really good distance and spin.

Couple of clubs in the car today for a session at the range after work tonight, hoping to hit the ball better than I did last week (which shouldn't be too hard to do) but the session is mainly to get a feel for the new shoes I picked up yesterday before I have a round at the weekend

Went over to our practice green and hit 200 greeside chip shots. Really need to improve this area of my game to drop my index.

I need to spend some time reading through this thread but I was just wondering if you guys write out or visualize a "practice plan" before you go practice?

I just got the R1 yesterday and I am heading to the range right after work. I am in the middle of GolfTec lessons so I have a number of drills that I want to use today but just wanted to get some feedback about how best to use my time while at the range, chipping and putting practice areas.

Thanks in advance.

I don't tend to visualise a practice plan or write anything down, I usually work on a few things every time I am there and then anything else that I struggled with when I was last out on the course, but that can be difficult as I don't have access to all the facilities that some of you have

Usually my routine consists of

1. Some time to stretch first and loosen up before even hitting any balls
2. Using a short iron and hitting a handful of balls to continue a warm-up (not worrying too much about line or distance, just to make sure I am making a decent swing and hitting the ball nicely)
3. Working my way randomly around the 'scoring' greens at the range which are 50yds, 75yds, 90yds, 125yds and 150yds - I do this randomly so I am not hitting the same shot over and over, I will normally hit 2 or 3 at each green then swap to another and vary the type of shot I want to play
4. In between the scoring irons/greens I will try to hit a handful of balls with my 3W or 5W depending on what I have taken with me
5. Midway through the basket of balls when I am nicely warmed up and in a bit of a groove I will spend time with a particular shot or club that I was having problems with when I was last out on the course
6. I am also considering some gentle stretching to finish as a bit of a 'warm down' to see if this helps in any way...?

The range also has a large putting green and short game chipping/bunker area but you are only allowed to use these if you are a member of the club or are playing a round there. I think the course I am playing at the weekend has a limited chipping/putting area as well as a range so I will have to check that out when I am there as it would be good to find somewhere that I can go locally to practice these aspects of my game more

Went over to our practice green and hit 200 greeside chip shots. Really need to improve this area of my game to drop my index.

Awesome! I worked on that A LOT two days ago as well. And yesterday it was working really well for me.

Here's what I do when I'm not being an idiot, so 65% of the time maybe?

Start with stretches.
Some air swings to get loosened up a little more.
Mini swings. I think they are like a 9-3 drill, but teacher never called them that.. I want to see the ball curve left.
Throw in a couple drills that I'm working on to get the feel for what I'm trying to do.
7 iron - preshot routine and hit the ball. Rinse/Repeat.
Once I'm fine with the way I'm hitting the ball I usually play some mock holes at a course I know well. If there's a club that I'm consistently poor with I'll stop and take extra shots with it.
Lately, finishing with pitch shots to avoid taking a bunch of tired swings that leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back