The Wife Made Me Do It

JohnnyO3478

Reaction score
Thanks for the add ....

Just turned 58 - living in K-ville, TN for coming up on 30 years. Tried golf as a kid in NE Ohio - no instruction. Tried golf as a young adult - crappy instruction, never approached even semi-decent results. Moved on to tennis for about 13 years - hurt my back. Took up cycling (fixes backs to a degree) - did that the next ten years at about a 5,000 mi/year clip - until I developed vestibular neuritis and lost a good portion of my balance. Always kinda hoped that I'd find my way back to golf - as I loved the game - but I just sucked at it. And it always bothered me that other people could play it and I couldn't.

The wife stuck with tennis for long after I left the game - and she had very little interest in cycling. Over the past couple of years - she kept bringing golf up as something we should try together. I slow rolled my response - on purpose - because I knew that once I went down the hole again - I'd be all in. And I wanted to be in the position to be able to say at the first sign of any complaints about my comittment - "this was your idea". Kidding, of course. The wife is very cool about my individual hobbies and never complains about any time we spend pursuing other interests. But she was right - we needed something to do together. So, in the winter/spring of 2022 I acquiesced.

I pulled my old set of clubs down from a very tall shelf in my warehouse and we went off to Edwin Watts to buy her a starter set - by Strata - $500. Then we hoofed it over to the local practice facility, took a tour and joined that. The plan was to hit balls, take some lessons, get fit for good clubs then hit an actual course once we were kinda sure that our presence would not make it suck for the real golfers .....

I think I started playing on a course around the end of June and she was willing to give it a go around Septemberish. We'd do a date night 9 on Friday - then usually play 18 on Sunday morning each week. I started out at about a 30 H.I. and she was about maxed out in the 50s, IIRC. But we were good pace of play folks, right out of the gate, doing everything in our power to not be the slow group. We lucked out with a real nice public course within 2 miles of the house - that also offers a membership which covers all your golf and range time. You have to pay for carts - but we are walkers 99.8784% of the time. So when January came around - we did the family membership (10% off if you pay before Jan 10 ....).

Winter of 2022/23 was a wet one for us. And the outdoor range at the practice facility was closed on all the days I wanted to hit balls, it seemed - and this company called Rapsodo was advertising some fancy new upgrade to their affordable launch monitor - so I started to look around the house - and figured I could do a workable practice facility set up in the garage - for not much more than the yearly membership at the practice place. So I did that.

As predicted - I am deep down the rabbit hole. I practice something or play just about every day. I take lessons at a pace where I think I'm ready to take another step. Unfortunately, with physical limitations and my apparent golf learning disability - I have what can only be classed as maybe a slightly faster slow swing speed and still miss on the toe, and come over the top, and hit a bunch of approach shots left .....

As far as equipment goes - we both ended up getting fit for essentially full bags of PXG stuff. Edwin Watts deserves a shout out - for offering us full purchas price credit on trade for the wife's starter set - and we took advantage of that (got her a Ping bag, an Odyssey putter and her absolute favortite club - Smart Sole Chipper). I am in the process of changing my irons to Cobra Forged Tec X and am going to a wedge fitting tonight - as I lost my 58 on the course last week.

As it stands today - I'm rocking the heck out of a 19 point something H.I. and the wife is down to about 30. She practices zero and takes no lessons and still plays a ton of tennis. We will renew our course membership for 2024.

Welcome to THP! Glad you picked up the game again!

Welcome to THP.

:welcome:

Sounds like a really fun way for you and your wife to spend time together. That's great.
THP is a great place to learn about clubs and/or just shoot the bull with a top-notch community of like-minded people.
I hope you enjoy your time here!

Welcome!

Welcome aboard! Love the background info and y’all’s adventure together. My wife has taken a few lessons and I’ve gotten her to the range a few times. We have a net with good mats and a green that she has fun with.

Rock on!

Welcome to THP and you're just down the road from me!

Welcome to THP and back to the game.

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to THP and back into golf.

Welcome to THP

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!

Welcome :thp:

Welcome to THP!

Welcome to THP!!!

Wow, that was quite the intro! Welcome back to the game, and

Welcome to THP... I am sure there is some great stuff in that post.

Welcome to THP!

Welcome! You may want to see a physical therapist who specializes in golf to see it there is swing that will accommodate your balance issues.
I completely redid my swing two years ago when I started playing as an older adult.
I had a stroke 25 years ago but after twenty years of rehab I'd gotten enough balance to comfortable on a ladder again!
Then I discovered that there are short courses where I could reasonably reach the green in two strokes!
I started with rotational swing that reduces the need for balance. It also didn't bother my back any!
Two months ago I got my first birdie! I've gotten a few more since then.

Back