Thrashers Move To Winnipeg

Doesn't really affect me either way, but I do think the market would be way better up there.

Oh nice, that definitely reaches you eh Dent!!

I think it's hilarious the NHL fought tooth and nail to keep Phoenix where they are, yet basically shrugged when Atlanta said they were moving.. It's great because I hear there is really good potential that the Blue Jackets are moving to the East, which would really suit their game.

It is really tough to say it is official, TSN is saying that is a false report.

Personally I don't like the name "Jets" or even the colours... if the Thrashers came here i'd like to see a whole new name and design.

Weird... it's so hard to say without an appearance from Bettman confirming it.

Maybe they can leave my Coyotes alone now.

My son just started his summer league hockey today. He'd be crushed if the Coyotes left town. His #1 goal is to be a professional hockey player.

I feel bad when teams leave cities, but they leave for a reason..

Phoenix had a pretty sweet team this year, and there seemed to be very little interest.. Maybe it was all the threat of leaving, but I have some serious concerns about whether they can become a viable franchise. I hope for your kid they do.

The NHL has to go where the money is, so I say it's about time. Bummer for teams to leave cities, but what are they really worth to those cities if they can't afford to keep star players?

Anyway, good for Winnipeg. I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets back in action. It would be interesting to see if they move this team to the West and another to the East. I know that Detroit would like to be in the East too, as would Columbus - easier travel schedules, and arguably weaker conference.

I'd think that Quebec City would be next in line for a team... looking at you Phoenix... ;)

Wow thrashers? Neat. I hope they become the JEts again.

Evander Kane gets to finally go home?

Anyway, good for Winnipeg. I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets back in action. It would be interesting to see if they move this team to the West and another to the East. I know that Detroit would like to be in the East too, as would Columbus - easier travel schedules, and arguably weaker conference.

Yeah, I think it would be pretty comical if Detroit got to move. They are one of two original six teams in the West, and they are clearly more West (and North) than Columbus.

Even though its my home team.. I hate the name "Jets" and think their jerseys if brought back would rank among the ugliest jerseys in the NHL.

Yeah, I really hope they don't name them the Jets. But an even worse decision would be the Moose.

And I really hope the team isn't named Manitoba Whatever. It should be Winnipeg Whatever.

Personally, I like the Winnipeg Falcons.

This is a very exciting time for hockey fans in Winnipeg, and for the entire city in general.

I'm a big Thrashers fan, and I think the reports are false. There is also a group trying to buy the team and keep them in Atlanta. I guess it's just who will offer the most money. Tom Glavine is trying to keep them here. Also, I see that Winnipeg has already had a team named the Winnipeg Jets. So didn't they already fail to keep a team because of finances? What makes them think the attendance would be so much better there? No one wants to see a crappy team. Put a good team on the ice and you will have the fan support. Also, the Red Wings will most likely be moved into the Eastern Conference if the Thrashers move which means all of their rivalries will be destroyed. This is just a terrible move for the NHL, in my opinion.

I'm a big Thrashers fan, and I think the reports are false. There is also a group trying to buy the team and keep them in Atlanta. I guess it's just who will offer the most money. Tom Glavine is trying to keep them here. Also, I see that Winnipeg has already had a team named the Winnipeg Jets. So didn't they already fail to keep a team because of finances? What makes them think the attendance would be so much better there? No one wants to see a crappy team. Put a good team on the ice and you will have the fan support. Also, the Red Wings will most likely be moved into the Eastern Conference if the Thrashers move which means all of their rivalries will be destroyed. This is just a terrible move for the NHL, in my opinion.

Josh, while I hope this doesn't happen either, there really hasn't been any talk lately about owners who would keep the team in Atlanta. Hockey could succeed in Atlanta given the right owners, but no one seems to be stepping up and taking that opportunity. Glavine was only willing to become a minority share of an ownership group.

The main reason the NHL will let this happen is the $70 million relocation fee that the new owners will have to pay to take the team up north. Someone else can speak to this better, but the Jets didn't fail due to lack of fan support, their owners ran south for the promise of a new arena and money back in the 90s.

Someone else can speak to this better, but the Jets didn't fail due to lack of fan support, their owners ran south for the promise of a new arena and money back in the 90s.

Basically we had a terrible owner who decided he didn't want to own the team anymore. Our arena was in terrible shape and he didn't want to spend the money to either upgrade it or build a new arena, so he gave up. He couldn't get support from the government either.

It's actually a very similar situation as to what is happening in Atlanta right now, and while I feel for the Thrashers fans that are out there and understand why they weren't supporting the team, I am still thrilled to be getting an NHL team back in Winnipeg.

The NHL needs more Canadian teams. It's not due to lack of support, as I'm sure they would sell plenty of tickets. Keep in mind that the American advertisers may not count Canadian TV ratings. Advertising revenue is a huge part of the value of the league. I'd be surprised if the league didn't do everything in it's power to keep the team in Atlanta, but I guess we'll see.

Not really sure why the NHL would work in Atlanta the second time around. Anyone remember the Atlanta Flames?

Not really sure why the NHL would work in Atlanta the second time around. Anyone remember the Atlanta Flames?

Yeah, they moved to Calgary. :smile:

Of course that would also argue that the NHL shouldn't allow them to move to Winnipeg since they already had a team. Don't know how it'll end up working out. The Wild seem to be doing ok in MN after losing the North Stars to Dallas and of course the Avalanche in CO after losing the Rockies to NJ also seem to be doing ok. Other than Ottawa I'm drawing a blank for 2nd chance cities. It seems that the 2nd chance cities actually do better the 2nd time around except Atlanta.

I can tell from commuting back and forth to Atlanta for the past 9 months that there are some that love that hockey team in Atlanta. I've never been to game but I hear they are always fun. Not sure if they sell out but ppl seem to like them in the ATL.

The Hawks are also on the sales block

Not sure if this is 100% true yet, but it's the talk of my home town right now...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/atlanta-thrashers-moving-to-winnipeg/article2029179/

What do you all think?

The Thrashers actually have an ardent group of supporters, but there are too few of them. If the team was even semi-competitive over the last few years, attendance would have been fine. The fans got disillusioned that the owners/GM would do nothing to improve the team (in fact they traded away the good players they did have), and the fans quit coming. Philips Arena that they played in was very nice and new at the time or since they came into the league.

The ownership group was beyond inept. They fought amongst themselves, had a deal with a new owner and screwed him out of that deal (which the new guy won $200+ million for in court). That court case has only been over for five months, and the Winnipeg rumors started immediately (so they didn't make any real attempt to sell locally).

The real thing that annoys Atlanta fans is that the NHL has gone out of their way to keep the Coyotes in Phoenix, but has not done anything for Atlanta.

It sucks for them, but the fans will move on.

I hear there is really good potential that the Blue Jackets are moving to the East, which would really suit their game.

I don't know how I feel about that yet...I'd have to stay neutral the six times a year they would play the Penguins if they were put in the Atlantic Division.

Of course that would also argue that the NHL shouldn't allow them to move to Winnipeg since they already had a team. Don't know how it'll end up working out. The Wild seem to be doing ok in MN after losing the North Stars to Dallas and of course the Avalanche in CO after losing the Rockies to NJ also seem to be doing ok. Other than Ottawa I'm drawing a blank for 2nd chance cities. It seems that the 2nd chance cities actually do better the 2nd time around except Atlanta.

Pretty much every situation where a team leaves a city is a different situation. Minnesota lost their team because the owner basically said, "screw you, I'm moving" and then went to Dallas. That was a situation that had nothing to do with the fans. Minnesota sold out every single home game they played since they came back into the league. The streak ended this season with fans growing frustrated at management's inability to ice a competitive team, but the fan support for an NHL team and NHL hockey has always been there.

NHL teams are a business first and foremost, and if the owners of a business are bad businessmen, the business is going to fail.

I don't know how I feel about that yet...I'd have to stay neutral the six times a year they would play the Penguins if they were put in the Atlantic Division.

I'd love it! A Penguins game in Columbus = a home game for the Penguins.

Back