Tiger not exempt for upcoming US Open

Louis_Posture

Reaction score
From a technical perspective, Tiger is not exempt into the field for the upcoming US Open at Pinehurst. So, to be a part of the field he will need to make it thru a Sectional qualifier or receive a special exemption from the USGA.

I think it's been stated a few times he would get the exemption, hasnt it?

Bored Bugs Bunny GIF by MOODMAN

I think it's been stated a few times he would get the exemption, hasnt it?
I have no idea if a representative of the USGA has offered Tiger an exemption and, or implied he would receive one. But if Tiger does not play PGA Tour events my guess is that the US Open, British Open, and PGA Championships will offer him exemptions for a year or two but not more than that.

I have no idea if a representative of the USGA has offered Tiger an exemption and, or implied he would receive one. But if Tiger does not play PGA Tour events my guess is that the US Open, British Open, and PGA Championships will offer him exemptions for a year or two but not more than that.
Well he's exempt for life at the PGA and Masters, and can play The Open until he's 60 based on being a past champion.

Well he's exempt for life at the PGA and Masters, and can play The Open until he's 60 based on being a past champion.
The PGA Championship offers lifetime exemptions?
The British Open offers past champions exemptions to past champions until they turn age 60?

The PGA Championship offers lifetime exemptions?
The British Open offers past champions exemptions to past champions until they turn age 60?
Yes to the PGA.
I believe The Open is making a change that starts either this year or started last year when they changed it to 55, but that age was change was moving forward from that year on. Previous champions that were exempt till 60 could still play until 60.

@ddec with the big brain of knowledge

youre not elected charlie brown yawn GIF by Peanuts

The US Open will garner a lot more interest if TW is playing in it.

Tiger will be here to receive the Bob Jones award in a ceremony on Monday night weather he is playing or not. But he always drives ratings up when he is playing.

We are volunteering on Tuesday and Friday morning and then Saturday PM and Sunday the mid-shift (it's the early shift, but starts late since we are on 18 and nobody will be coming through there until later).

Hahaha it’s not a matter of if Tiger will get an exemption. It’s more, when do we announce he’s committed already?

If Tiger can play the US Open, the USGA will let him play.

Oh yeah but they won't give one to Talor Gooch.......is 15 majors and 80+ PGA wins really THAT much better than 3 LIV wins. Like really if you think about it

the PGA gets no love for their past champion lifetime exemption.

Because so many think it's the worst major. Which I disagree with.

And Tiger will get an exemption if he choses to accept it.

TW just has to say I am ready and the exemption will be granted.

So I imagine is he is given a special exemption, this would this would force the next closest qualifier out of the tournament. He needs to hang it

Because so many think it's the worst major. Which I disagree with.

And Tiger will get an exemption if he choses to accept it.
which is too bad, I feel like they get the course setup right way more times than the USGA does. It just always ranks 4th.

He doesn’t need an exemption for The Open he can play until he’s 60.

which is too bad, I feel like they get the course setup right way more times than the USGA does. It just always ranks 4th.
Agreed. Also has the deepest field typically.
I think people are tired of the PGA Pro part of it.
Sure there was a time many of these guys were teaching pros at your local country club. That has long since past and these guys are grinders all year long for their shot.

Damn! Dean with the Knowledge Nuke in here!

Back