Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

I just finished reading this thread and just wanted to say thanks to Hawk and the participants for such great reviews and feedback. Well done.

Appreciate it t4k.

Titleist is designing some great looking irons recently. I saw last years model up close a lot on the course last season and really liked them, these look even better.

I love seeing all of the praise that these are getting. Mine with the Steelfiber i95 shafts are truly amazing. I just need this snow to melt so I can get off the mat and on some grass.

Congrats chico! Let us know how they are working out for you. I'm going to do a reshaft into a shaft I like better next week, which is pretty exciting for me.

nice, what are you changing to? Isn't reshafting cost prohibitive?

Just went and bought these today. I went in full intending to buy the JPX-EZ but the Salesman suggested that I try these out so I did. And boy and I'm glad he did. The ball just seemed to jump off the face and although I couldn't get exact distances because I was just hitting to an outdoor range without a monitor it seemed to me that they were flying. By my vantage point it looked like I was hitting the 6 iron 175ish which is good for me, especially considering it is only 40 degrees out here in Michigan. That's normally where I'm at in the humid summers and I was hitting that consistently in cold temperatures with an inferior ball. Also even though I was hitting off mats I could tell that these will benefit a steep swinger like me, I have the tendency to dig in the turf from time to time leading to a little fat shots but I don't think that will be a problem. Anyway I can't wait to actually take them out on the course and give them a full test drive and I'm hoping that they are as good as the experience I had with them today.

Just went and bought these today. I went in full intending to buy the JPX-EZ but the Salesman suggested that I try these out so I did. And boy and I'm glad he did. The ball just seemed to jump off the face and although I couldn't get exact distances because I was just hitting to an outdoor range without a monitor it seemed to me that they were flying. By my vantage point it looked like I was hitting the 6 iron 175ish which is good for me, especially considering it is only 40 degrees out here in Michigan. That's normally where I'm at in the humid summers and I was hitting that consistently in cold temperatures with an inferior ball. Also even though I was hitting off mats I could tell that these will benefit a steep swinger like me, I have the tendency to dig in the turf from time to time leading to a little fat shots but I don't think that will be a problem. Anyway I can't wait to actually take them out on the course and give them a full test drive and I'm hoping that they are as good as the experience I had with them today.

It was 40 and a blizzard while I was Carl's for my driver fitting today. Where were you hitting.

It was 40 and a blizzard while I was Carl's for my driver fitting today. Where were you hitting.

I was actually at Carl's too but the Plymouth St. John's location. It was actually pretty nice out when I went, well relatively speaking.

Cool. Congrats on the new irons. I love mine more each time I hit them.

nice, what are you changing to? Isn't reshafting cost prohibitive?

Tour 90's.

Shafts are pulls from a friend and I do the work myself, so won't cost me much at all.

Tour 90's.

Shafts are pulls from a friend and I do the work myself, so won't cost me much at all.

Resourceful for the win!!

Ha you got that right!

Soon Hawkster. Soon.

Hawk/Jman time is a little relaxed. No worries my friend!

Hawk/Jman time is a little relaxed. No worries my friend!

Haha, it is relaxed. But they are sitting next to me too. :alien:

Woohoo!

Very impatiently waiting for my set of these to come in. Based of these reviews and a brief hitting session I ordered these with Nippon NS Pro 950gh Regular, .25 short, 2 degrees flat in 5 - both Gap wedges. I had just recently purchased some Rocketbladez with kbs 90s in them but within 3 practice sessions my elbow pains started to come back (they felt very head heavy). Went to the local shop to swing some AP1s in graphite but just couldn't adjust to that light of a shaft, everything was going short and dead right on the monitor. The fitter stuck in the stock XP95s and it was immediately down the middle. Decided to go with the Nippons as that was what I played last year in my Nike VRS Forged so it was a known entity and had alleviated the arm pain the first time.

Hope they show up soon NM.

Very impatiently waiting for my set of these to come in. Based of these reviews and a brief hitting session I ordered these with Nippon NS Pro 950gh Regular, .25 short, 2 degrees flat in 5 - both Gap wedges. I had just recently purchased some Rocketbladez with kbs 90s in them but within 3 practice sessions my elbow pains started to come back (they felt very head heavy). Went to the local shop to swing some AP1s in graphite but just couldn't adjust to that light of a shaft, everything was going short and dead right on the monitor. The fitter stuck in the stock XP95s and it was immediately down the middle. Decided to go with the Nippons as that was what I played last year in my Nike VRS Forged so it was a known entity and had alleviated the arm pain the first time.

Nice choice. If I didn't get the Steelfibers, the 950gh would have been my shaft of coice too.

Anybody else have thoughts on going 3rd party quality wedges vs the ones from the set? I was thinking the 3rd party would have better feel, etc

My set is 5-PW. The stock PW fills the gap between the 9i Andy 48* SM4 wedge nicely. I now have almost perfect distance gaps from my 5i to my 56* SW.

Oh, that's good to hear. I at least know the likely path...

Anybody else have thoughts on going 3rd party quality wedges vs the ones from the set? I was thinking the 3rd party would have better feel, etc

I think I'll end up playing the 48° GW from the set and go into my wedges from there. I liked the the 52, but I can get a little more versatility out of my other wedges I think.

Nice, OH. Those are probably my three favorite iron sets out there oddly enough.

Back