Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

Excellent thoughts Hawk and thanks for the feedback. I was lucky enough to hit the 5 iron as well. The demo was only supposed to be for the 7 iron but I talked the Titleist rep in to letting me sneak a few with the 5. To me, this is where this set really shines. I LOVED the 5. I felt like it was as easy as my current 7 iron to hit. Which is saying something. It almost swayed me to the AP1 over the AP 2 to be perfectly honest. Then I hit the AP2 5. Either way, the long irons in this set shine something fierce.

Funny you say that. My 'confidence' iron is usually the 7 iron. It's the one I use in lessons and the bulk of my practice. I'd agree with you 100% that the 5 gives off that same vibe for me.

Funny you say that. My 'confidence' iron is usually the 7 iron. It's the one I use in lessons and the bulk of my practice. I'd agree with you 100% that the 5 gives off that same vibe for me.

A two iron confidence difference is NOTHING to ignore.

A two iron confidence difference is NOTHING to ignore.

True enough.

This set has surprised me quite a bit. We all have our ideas of what things will offer before we try them, and I've been pleased with the output. They are contenders for my 2014 iron set for sure, and I wasn't exactly expecting them to be that. I have put the TM GI irons on a pedestal the last couple generations, but they've got a strong competitor here imo.

Placed two great rounds together with the AP1's this weekend. I'll share more later but the key takeaway is the pure confidence I have with these irons. I can go after the shot and trust the club will do its job if my swing holds up.

These dont look nearly as bulky as the previous versions have to me.

True enough.

This set has surprised me quite a bit. We all have our ideas of what things will offer before we try them, and I've been pleased with the output. They are contenders for my 2014 iron set for sure, and I wasn't exactly expecting them to be that. I have put the TM GI irons on a pedestal the last couple generations, but they've got a strong competitor here imo.

So odd how on the same page we are with these and this line up of the 714. I didn't expect them to be on my radar. I got to look at them early in pre release from a friend of mine and immediately was interested. Then I hit them, both this set and the AP2's and my interest went through the roof.

These dont look nearly as bulky as the previous versions have to me.

This is exactly what I thought. For a GI set, they are slim and super attractive. As stated before, they even look better at address than you anticipate.

Placed two great rounds together with the AP1's this weekend. I'll share more later but the key takeaway is the pure confidence I have with these irons. I can go after the shot and trust the club will do its job if my swing holds up.

This is all you can ask for. Repeatable, expected performance. Glad to hear this man.

So odd how on the same page we are with these and this line up of the 714. I didn't expect them to be on my radar. I got to look at them early in pre release from a friend of mine and immediately was interested. Then I hit them, both this set and the AP2's and my interest went through the roof.

No doubt about it. I already had my 2014 set pretty much picked out once testing started to wind down. Always have to keep reminding myself not to jump the gun.

I had a chance to swing one of these on an LM at EW yesterday. I really liked them. They're larger than my JPX 800 Pro but nothing that feels shovel-y.

No doubt about it. I already had my 2014 set pretty much picked out once testing started to wind down. Always have to keep reminding myself not to jump the gun.

Dude I wasn't even going to think about another set of irons till I hit this lineup. I was (and am) very happy with my current iron set. Just looking for something a little more forgiving for the future. This lineup (ap1 and ap2) fits BEAUTIFULLY into that criteria.

I had a chance to swing one of these on an LM at EW yesterday. I really liked them. They're larger than my JPX 800 Pro but nothing that feels shovel-y.

That's the thing. You set these down and you forget how much forgiveness you have in your hands.

Anybody tried the AP1 with the graphite shaft? Any feedback?

I should get mine with R flex graphite this week sometime so I can give a little feedback when I do.

I should get mine with R flex graphite this week sometime so I can give a little feedback when I do.

Can't wait to hear it my man. I think this lineup is going to really open some eyes

How are the 714 ap2 comparing? Wow, I read these reviews with a drool rag by my side. Oh man I want to hit these.

swing your swing

I cannot wait to get mine in, ordered them on the 8th so im hoping they come in this week.

Making my first post here. I play to anywhere between a 4 and 7 index depending on the time of year here in MI. Usually play "players" irons. In fact I recently was fitted for and bought the MP54s. Have played about 20 rds with them and overall really like them (some things I like more than others). We are moving soon and I was ordered by my wife to sell all my old golf stuff in the basement. I ended up with a ton of credit and decided I wanted to try a more forgiving iron and one that would give me more distance. Hit the 6 iron ap1 on the launch monitor with the XP95 in stiff shafts. Ball flight was nice and high which is important for me since I tend to be a low ball player. Dispersion was much tighter than I expected. I probably hit 50 shots and most would have found the green which is all I really look/hope for for in the 160-170 range. I ended up purchasing the 5 iron through GW, paying all of $100 for the set due to trade ins. Will hit them on the range and hopefully get at least a few rds in here before it starts snowing. Not sure what I will end up choosing as my gamer between these and the mp54 since they are quite different, but I will say I was extremely impressed with them so far (granted it was off a launch monitor) and I am aware of the stronger lofts etc. Will gladly answer any questions and give feedback. Have been lurking here for a while before deciding to post.

Making my first post here. I play to anywhere between a 4 and 7 index depending on the time of year here in MI. Usually play "players" irons. In fact I recently was fitted for and bought the MP54s. Have played about 20 rds with them and overall really like them (some things I like more than others). We are moving soon and I was ordered by my wife to sell all my old golf stuff in the basement. I ended up with a ton of credit and decided I wanted to try a more forgiving iron and one that would give me more distance. Hit the 6 iron ap1 on the launch monitor with the XP95 in stiff shafts. Ball flight was nice and high which is important for me since I tend to be a low ball player. Dispersion was much tighter than I expected. I probably hit 50 shots and most would have found the green which is all I really look/hope for for in the 160-170 range. I ended up purchasing the 5 iron through GW, paying all of $100 for the set due to trade ins. Will hit them on the range and hopefully get at least a few rds in here before it starts snowing. Not sure what I will end up choosing as my gamer between these and the mp54 since they are quite different, but I will say I was extremely impressed with them so far (granted it was off a launch monitor) and I am aware of the stronger lofts etc. Will gladly answer any questions and give feedback. Have been lurking here for a while before deciding to post.

Welcome to THP and thanks for the post!

I reviewed the 54's prior to these and definitely agree - very different irons. I don't think the 54's come anywhere near these on performance. It's a huge divide imo.

Thanks Hawk. I read your review of the 54s and agreed on most points. The feel of the MP54s is definitely nicer than the ap1s. However I was not turned off by the feel of the AP1s as much as I thought I would be. the look at address is very nice and the offset and top line did not bother me at all. There is no question the ap1 is easier to hit, especially in the long irons. I am very interested to see how well I am able to attack pins with the ap1s. I am not an overly long hitter, usually around 240-250 off the tee, and the strength of my game is my short irons. With the mp54s I have been very impressed at their accuracy in the short irons (8-pw) so I am hoping I will not lose much in that area with the ap1s and it will be a winner all around. Golf is hard enough, so if I can find an iron that performs better, I am certainly willing to set the ego aside and use more of a GI iron.

I tend to think you're not going to lose much in accuracy, but of course that's a fitting thing too. I certainly haven't.

Great thoughts man! Here's hoping you post more frequently AND continue to enjoy your AP1's

Tried the AP1 714 with an Advanced Fitter, comparing the (1) stock graphite Kuro Kage 65, (2) stock steel XP95, and (3) Nippon NS Pro 970. Also had tried the Nippon NS 850 shaft at Titleist-Oceanside in August right before the 714s came out. Graphite had more dispersion with no distance benefits for me, whereas the Nippons were more accurate with no distance loss. Ended up ordering the AP1 714 with the Nippon NS 850 shaft, as both fitters recommended.

My previous set was the AP1 712 with the stock Dynalite Gold XP softstepped twice -- great but a bit heavy for me.

About time to gather all my thoughts and write this one up. Maybe today if I find the time. I think these will stay in the bag for now. I like a little junk in the trunk and these do it an attractive way. Like the distance the offer, they seem forgiving enough, and can play a lot of shots with them.

I notice that the AP1 graphite shaft for the japanese market uses Fujikura MCI60 shaft. How is this shaft compared to mitsubishi kuro kage?

Back