Titleist 714 AP1 Review Thread

A solid combo for sure. These irons are big time sleepers of 2014 IMO.

I'd agree. I'm taking them to my lesson tonight. I want to see how well I can hit them after 30 minutes with the instructor. I'm thinking good things are going to happen and I already am a huge fan.

I'd agree. I'm taking them to my lesson tonight. I want to see how well I can hit them after 30 minutes with the instructor. I'm thinking good things are going to happen and I already am a huge fan.

Each year there is a line that I don't feel gets enough attention. Last year it was the cobra amp cell pro line. Not one person I play with in MA had seen or hit them till I got mine. To me, even though Titleist is a big name, this specific line, the AP 1, is it. This line kind of gets lost alittle because of the speedblades and maybe the x2hot line, but I feel like they should be mentioned right along with them. Or even before them....

EDIT - except Arydolphin!!

Each year there is a line that I don't feel gets enough attention. Last year it was the cobra amp cell pro line. Not one person I play with in MA had seen or hit them till I got mine. To me, even though Titleist is a big name, this specific line, the AP 1, is it. This line kind of gets lost alittle because of the speedblades and maybe the x2hot line, but I feel like they should be mentioned right along with them. Or even before them....

EDIT - except Arydolphin!!

I think you're right, even though these are the best selling iron in Titleist's stable.

Before reviewing them I really struggled to see where they fit into the market. My initial impression was that they would be shorter and less forgiving than other GI irons, bit still have a larger look than players irons fans would want, which made me wonder who they'd really appeal to, as opposed to the AP2's for example.

However, testing really changed that perception. Like a complete 180°.

I think you're right, even though these are the best selling iron in Titleist's stable.

Before reviewing them I really struggled to see where they fit into the market. My initial impression was that they would be shorter and less forgiving than other GI irons, bit still have a larger look than players irons fans would want, which made me wonder who they'd really appeal to, as opposed to the AP2's for example.

However, testing really changed that perception. Like a complete 180°.

Right. Exactly. They will sell, that is a given. I just think they should sell even MORE than they will. Many people who gravitate towards the AP2's should give these a serious look.

Right. Exactly. They will sell, that is a given. I just think they should sell even MORE than they will. Many people who gravitate towards the AP2's should give these a serious look.

Agreed, but many won't lol. Not in internet land at least.

90% sure these will be my 2014 gamers. May change shafts, depending on what I see in the coming weeks after a few lessons.

Totally agree. Its amazing how many people I see playing Ap2s who have no business playing them. But to each his own, if playing them makes them happy more power to them. I found the long irons in the 712 AP2s that I played to be very demanding.

I also found it shocking that the Ap1s are their highest selling irons as like you, I rarely see people using them. Would have bet a lot of money Ap2s were their highest selling.

90% sure these will be my 2014 gamers. May change shafts, depending on what I see in the coming weeks after a few lessons.

Nice dude. I expect great things out of your iron game then this year!

Totally agree. Its amazing how many people I see playing Ap2s who have no business playing them. But to each his own, if playing them makes them happy more power to them. I found the long irons in the 712 AP2s that I played to be very demanding.

I also found it shocking that the Ap1s are their highest selling irons as like you, I rarely see people using them. Would have bet a lot of money Ap2s were their highest selling.

Exactly. I don't know who is buying them- at least around me. I see TONS of AP2'S. And a smattering of CB/MB combos but not nearly as many of these as I feel I should see.

Borrowed my buddy's speedblades and went to the outdoor heated range during lunch. compared them with my ap1s. would hit 2 balls in a row with one club, then switch to the other and compare. A couple quick thoughts.

I think the stock stiff shaft in the speedblades is too light. I have a pretty smooth swing/transition, and even for me I had to be very careful to not get too quick with them. If I decide to go with them, I would definitely put in new shafts. Something similar to the XP95s since I dont think Taylormade offers them, maybe the Tour 90s. Even though weight is only 10 grams different I think, it seemed to have a big effect on me.

I think the longer irons in the speedblades are a better fit for my game, specifically the 5 and 6, and maybe even 7 irons. They launch higher, go further, and are similar in forgiveness. However, I prefer the scoring irons in the Ap1. I felt I was much more in control and dialed in with the Ap1 short irons. the short irons in the speedblades felt a little wild to me. Maybe that would be fixed by putting in a heavier shaft.

Anyway, still havent made up my mind yet. Have tested them enough with the naked eye and where I was able to see the ball flight etc. Will hopefully get on a launch monitor soon and compare them. Hope it helps for someone else making a decision between the two. The more I hit them, the more it confirms they are both great irons.

Congrats beardog on your new irons.

I'm picking up my set tomorrow 5-w2 with the Aerotech i95 steel fiber shafts. Can't wait. I got them based on Hawk's review and hitting this combination recommended by the Titliest clubfitter that was at a demo day I went a month ago. In fact the whole bag is going to be Titliest except for my putter.

Congratulations, beardog, I'm jealous! I hope they work as well for you as I am anticipating mine will when they eventually arrive. Don't forget a performance report.

Congrats beardog. Lot of guys going with those i95's. Makes me ponder!

Only one way to find out for sure... :golf:

One more thought, I actually do see quite a few AP1s in my corner of Florida. I also see a good many AP2s, often in the hands of people that would be better served by AP1s but get an ego boost from "player's clubs." I'm not complaining though, they make it easier to get a skin.

I'm still pondering the 3-iron for the top end of bag. The lower loft and hotter face is certainly intriguing to me.

Hawk you have me wanting these. Wouldn't mind trying them with Recoil 95s, which Titliest recently started offering.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

My fitter and coach has a set of these with Regular flex Kuro Kage shafts in them that I'm sure they will be able to be had at a good price due to a screw up in Titleist's custom/repair shop. PM me if you'd be interested

My fitter and coach has a set of these with Regular flex Kuro Kage shafts in them that I'm sure they will be able to be had at a good price due to a screw up in Titleist's custom/repair shop. PM me if you'd be interested

Thanks for the offer, appreciate it, but going to get on the fitting cart at work and see if I can't find a setup. I'm still unsure where my bag is going this year.

Thanks for the offer, appreciate it, but going to get on the fitting cart at work and see if I can't find a setup. I'm still unsure where my bag is going this year.

No problem, thought I'd throw it out there for anyone interested in them.

It looks like my injury is healing up and I'll start swinging a club again soon. That being said, I'm in a bit of a pickle on these clubs.

I have hit the AP1, but not in the PX5.5 shaft I've been fitted in on the mizuno cart. It's looking like it will be *very* difficult to hit that exact combo anytime soon. There is nothing within 90 miles of me and, even then, it may be difficult to get any launch monitor numbers, etc. At Bayonet / Blackhorse in December I focused on the AP2's, which I'm beginning to see are too far above my head - even thought the pro fitting me liked them. The AP2's were with the PX 5.5's.

That being said, would it be a fair extrapolation to say that I hit the EZ forged and AP2's well and the shaft will carryover to the AP1's? Is that just silly? I suppose I can continue to wait, but it'll be freaking June by the time I get new sticks.

Talk some sense, folks...

I don't know that anyone can give a definitive answer. I would think that it is a very good sign that the PX 5.5 works well with two other heads, but that leaves the question somewhat open ended. When I did my fitting last week I was surprised at the differences in ball flight I got with various shafts. Of course, I had not been fit into any other clubs, so I don't have that reference point. The Titleist web site shows two advanced fitting centers in or near Sacramento; I think I'd try to invest the time to make the drive for a full fitting.

It is a little tough to say chico, but I'd lean towards saying you'd be just fine.

ya, good points. I'll wait until I'm cleared to swing and things are pain-free with my existing sticks and go from there.

Thanks again...

Good luck. Wish I could have been of more help to you.

Good luck. Wish I could have been of more help to you.

no sweat..in hindsight, I was asking people to be fortune tellers, which is ridiculous.

I'll see if I can get to SAC for a full titleist fitting. If not, i'll pull the trigger. I think it'll be fine either way. Anything is an upgrade over my 15 year old Tour Edge Comp 950's ;)

after talking to a few more folks, I went ahead and took the plunge. 4-PW, Project X 5.5, 0.5* upright, Std. length, standard Golf Pride Tour Velvet grips. I'll probably change the grips out for something else, but thought I'd just order stock for now until i get a deal on something else. I'll get the new yardages figured out and then decide whether to fill in with 3rd party wedges or order their wedge. We'll see.

Should be a week or 2, I imagine. Payed $89/club for $668 after tax (yay, CA) from local pro shop. That is, unless they come back with an up charge for the shafts :)

Congrats chico! Let us know how they are working out for you. I'm going to do a reshaft into a shaft I like better next week, which is pretty exciting for me.

Back