Titleist Tour Speed Golf Ball Review

Its been a long time since I have worked at Acushnet (now owned by Fila Korean unless there has been another change). At the time of my departure (along with 149 others in the club plant in SOCAL); the Professional was their top of the line ball. A lot has changed and even more layoffs/force reduction including John Pavin (brother of Corey). The company is evolving with this latest offering and a bit surprising given the lower price point, but quite welcome. As for club design, I was not too impressed with The Howitzer, but in retrospect, it was an innovation (sorta) at the time in use of Titanium.

Hmmm, I wonder if they are still using my data base design used for build pulls and component tracking? Probably not as it was pretty rudimentary. At least I got a sense of satisfaction of converting an Excel Spread Sheet into an Access Data Base.

Last edited:
I feel like PV1's went to $46.99/dz from $42.99/dz so that they could fund the R&D for something I never wanted. :confused:

Well written @Jman

But....no yellow....no bueno !

Would especially like to hear the sheer strength on this cover material. What is it, exactly?
Wedge data and driver data are probably what a lot of people were wondering with such a release.

Well when Srixon runs the BOGO two dozen for less than 39.99 is tough to beat. These are interesting. With Velocity and Tour Soft being meh, do you think Tour Soft Speed replaces Tour Soft or will they coincide in perpetuity?

I'll give them a shot. I have plenty of Pro V1x & QST balls on hand, but I'm always interviewing prospective golf balls!

Would especially like to hear the sheer strength on this cover material. What is it, exactly?
Wedge data and driver data are probably what a lot of people were wondering with such a release.
I made the decision in my article and video that providing a tiered feedback in the section of the bag where you see the change occur from distance focused to precision focused was superior to just giving the same regurgitated driver and lob wedge data that everyone and their dog gives was the more informative path for readers and viewers. Titleist is billing this ball as lower spin and distance/speed heavy in the longer clubs but with a cover that makes it amply playable and consistent spin wise into the scoring ones, so the 5/7/9 data gives, in my opinion, direct feedback on that story.

In the years of doing this I’ve always believed most the goal of reviews shouldn’t be how a product fits me, but rather if it is doing what the marketing is claiming it is.

For this ball, it’s my opinion that it is. As always, it’s up to the individual to go out and try them for their personal game, and I can’t wait for that feedback to trickle in as it will make excellent and interesting conversation imo.

Well when Srixon runs the BOGO two dozen for less than 39.99 is tough to beat. These are interesting. With Velocity and Tour Soft being meh, do you think Tour Soft Speed replaces Tour Soft or will they coincide in perpetuity?
It’s a great question on the Tour Soft. I dont know the answer sadly.

As to the BOGO’s, I’d say for people like us on the internet, sure, but the reality is the non Internet forum people see Titleist in a different light than Srixon golf balls. That’s not a knock at all on Srixon as my thoughts on them are WELL known (my HS teams play them), but it’s the perception imo.

I made the decision in my article and video that providing a tiered feedback in the section of the bag where you see the change occur from distance focused to precision focused was superior to just giving the same regurgitated driver and lob wedge data that everyone and their dog gives was the more informative path for readers and viewers. Titleist is billing this ball as lower spin and distance/speed heavy in the longer clubs but with a cover that makes it amply playable and consistent spin wise into the scoring ones, so the 5/7/9 data gives, in my opinion, direct feedback on that story.

In the years of doing this I’ve always believed most the goal of reviews shouldn’t be how a product fits me, but rather if it is doing what the marketing is claiming it is.

For this ball, it’s my opinion that it is. As always, it’s up to the individual to go out and try them for their personal game, and I can’t wait for that feedback to trickle in as it will make excellent and interesting conversation imo.
What's the cover material? Thermoplastic, but with improvements?
Sheer strength is important for wear with the wedge grooves.
The speed and lower spin fits in with driver dynamic very much.

So no play on course yet with it?

What's the cover material? Thermoplastic, but with improvements?
Sheer strength is important for wear with the wedge grooves.
The speed and lower spin fits in with driver dynamic very much.

So no play on course yet with it?
It’s a non cast urethane specifically for this ball, and different than that on the ProV’s.

Titleist isn’t going to push out a ball, especially one that will draw as much talk as this one, with lacking durability.

Sure, it does, but again as I said, I chose what I did because it shows a progression and not just simply an extreme that is going to vary arguably the most player to player based on swing speed, style, and general profile.

Ive had them on the course plenty, and that will be part of the continued discussion in here.

It’s a great question on the Tour Soft. I dont know the answer sadly.

As to the BOGO’s, I’d say for people like us on the internet, sure, but the reality is the non Internet forum people see Titleist in a different light than Srixon golf balls. That’s not a knock at all on Srixon as my thoughts on them are WELL known (my HS teams play them), but it’s the perception imo.

haha I get perception. My company uses Titleist Velocity and Pro V1 /X to give out to client / prospect during golf. I give out the velocity and use my Srixon Z Stars and cannot count the number of times they laugh and say its too bad you have to give out the nice balls to us.

It’s a non cast urethane specifically for this ball, and different than that on the ProV’s.

Titleist isn’t going to push out a ball, especially one that will draw as much talk as this one, with lacking durability.

Sure, it does, but again as I said, I chose what I did because it shows a progression and not just simply an extreme that is going to vary arguably the most player to player based on swing speed, style, and general profile.

Ive had them on the course plenty, and that will be part of the continued discussion in here.
OK. Thought on-course observations would be part of it.
I don't doubt it will be a fine ball. It's just the market that you, I, and many people did not expect them to chase after.
I played some Precepts years ago that were a super fun ball that were the "lower tier" thermoplastic option at the time and they spun like mad if that was what you were after. Sometimes when the cover material does "give way" that can make for fun results too. (y);) That's part of the premise of the top tier urethane engineering now with "spin skin" or whatever the newest acronyms are at present. Lots of engineering.
My point stands that I would have preferred PV1/AVX @ 42.99 if it meant this one never came to fruition. :LOL::cool:

OK. Thought on-course observations would be part of it.
I don't doubt it will be a fine ball. It's just the market that you, I, and many people did not expect them to chase after.
I played some Precepts years ago that were a super fun ball that were the "lower tier" thermoplastic option at the time and they spun like mad if that was what you were after. Sometimes when the cover material does "give way" that can make for fun results too. (y);) That's part of the premise of the top tier urethane engineering now with "spin skin" or whatever the newest acronyms are at present. Lots of engineering.
My point stands that I would have preferred PV1/AVX @ 42.99 if it meant this one never came to fruition. :LOL::cool:

They’d never do that price wise when they don’t have to, ProV’s basically print money, and they’ll sell at any price, even a higher one like you often see at resort courses.

As to the feedback, as I mentioned it’ll be in here as I keep working with them. We believed people would appreciate any immediate feedback on release day rather than a generic press release with nothing, hence the data in the article and video.

Definitely appreciated. (y)I just have questions. I like questions. :cool:
I'm not looking to make huge club changes right now, so all the ball choices on the market are fun to follow.
They just went where I didn't expect them to. Does it muddy the waters just a tad more?
I drive less than ever. MPG's aren't top priority. So PV1/AVX if I get to play, price won't stop it.
I am guilty of being a notorious consumer of previous year closeouts for everyday rounds so long as it was the top tier urethane ball.
That puts this ball in comp with such options like Srixon being mentioned.

I'm going to wait for the Tour Speed X, because I like red numbers on my golf balls. :)

Nice write-up @Jman . I know it says Titleist on the ball, and to a lot of people that's a big deal, but if they are going after the Q-Star Tour performance level, $40 is still a bit much in my book. Sign of the times I guess, when $40 a dozen is considered a mid price point.
Titleist is always a little too proud of their stuff when it comes to pricing, IMO.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to present an honest and thorough article about this new ball offering. I don't need any balls for this season. But, I will continue to follow any reviews from people who have put it in play.

Titleist is always a little too proud of their stuff when it comes to pricing, IMO.
I don’t disagree, but, if people are willing to pay, then why not? And based on market share, people are definitely willing to pay.

I really like everything I read in this article! Great video @Jman ! The $30-40 dollar market is strong with the Srixon's 3 tour balls (Z,ZX,Q-Tour), TM Tour Response, Callaway ERC Soft, W/S Duo Professional, and DTC offerings like Snell! I understand Titleist has name power and a pedigree which includes top market pricing, but I don't know if I would pay the same price for the Tour Speed (a lower tier ball) as the Z-Star?! But, the Tour Soft is $35 so there isn't a lot of wiggle room there.

I really like everything I read in this article! Great video @Jman ! The $30-40 dollar market is strong with the Srixon's 3 tour balls (Z,ZX,Q-Tour), TM Tour Response, Callaway ERC Soft, W/S Duo Professional, and DTC offerings like Snell! I understand Titleist has name power and a pedigree which includes top market pricing, but I don't know if I would pay the same price for the Tour Speed (a lower tier ball) as the Z-Star?! But, the Tour Soft is $35 so there isn't a lot of wiggle room there.
Gotta remember, if you’re here, then you’re more educated than most golf consumers out there, way more I’d argue. For most it’s all about name, and Titleist is the premier name in golf balls based on numbers.

haha I get perception. My company uses Titleist Velocity and Pro V1 /X to give out to client / prospect during golf. I give out the velocity and use my Srixon Z Stars and cannot count the number of times they laugh and say its too bad you have to give out the nice balls to us.
Okay, that's freaking funny! :ROFLMAO:

I guess it's like Jman said - for most it's all about the name, and Titleist unquestionably has the brand recognition for most golf consumers. They don't know the differences between a Velocity and a Z Star, all they see is that little script on the ball. Titleist could re-brand a one piece Top Flite distance ball and people would buy it based on the name alone.

@Jman I understand what you're saying, but aren't most people better educated now on all consumer products? With google, amazon reviews, etc. you don't think that the average golfer does some research before purchasing? There is a segment of golfers that sees Titleist plastered all over TV and then sees the price and will automatically associate them with being the "best" because of name and price. But, aren't there just as many guys that stop into Wal-Mart or Dick's and grabs a box of whatever they deem is affordable...probably >$25?

Back