Titleist Tour Speed Golf Ball Review

I wonder if this is the result of the EXP.1 ball that was out last year?? There were feedback cards in those boxes for research purposes. I think it was about the same price....
Didnt even open the box. Still sitting on my golf shelving.

@Jman I understand what you're saying, but aren't most people better educated now on all consumer products? With google, amazon reviews, etc. you don't think that the average golfer does some research before purchasing? There is a segment of golfers that sees Titleist plastered all over TV and then sees the price and will automatically associate them with being the "best" because of name and price. But, aren't there just as many guys that stop into Wal-Mart or Dick's and grabs a box of whatever they deem is affordable...probably >$25?

I think generally speaking you are probably right. Although I still think there is far too much misinformation on golf balls out there.

the manufacturers need to understand that all we are looking for is a ball that goes exactly where we intend it; feels incredibly good regardless of where on the club it is struck; comes in a dozen great colors; lasts for months and costs $5 a dozen.

I think generally speaking you are probably right. Although I still think there is far too much misinformation on golf balls out there.

I think forum members would be shocked at the lack of understanding towards golf balls. I think it may be the most misunderstood piece of golf equipment.. I get it though. SOO many options. Names like Super soft, tour soft, pro soft, E6, E12, Prov1, Prov1X, the bridgestone balls that all kinda have the same name. Don't even get me started on "ladies balls" etc etc etc. It can be hard to tell the difference.

If you look at the back of the box it can be even harder. Many all kind of say the same thing. Just slightly different..

@Jman I understand what you're saying, but aren't most people better educated now on all consumer products? With google, amazon reviews, etc. you don't think that the average golfer does some research before purchasing? There is a segment of golfers that sees Titleist plastered all over TV and then sees the price and will automatically associate them with being the "best" because of name and price. But, aren't there just as many guys that stop into Wal-Mart or Dick's and grabs a box of whatever they deem is affordable...probably >$25?
I think they know Titileist is the #1 selling ball brand in golf, because it is, and that’s all the education they want or need. And that’s OK, to each their own.

as a fan of the AVX, this is very interesting....look forward to trying some out.

Thanks for the great write up @Jman. I am very surprised Titleist made this move, but I guess it makes sense as they have had to adjust with the great amount of competition and price points these days.

as a fan of the AVX, this is very interesting....look forward to trying some out.
Quiiiiiite different than AVX as I’ve been hitting them against each other a bit. The AVX is kind of a freak with its spin and launch window haha

Simple answer is no. I’m willing to bet people would see a Titleist golf ball for $35 a dozen and think they are getting something more than a two piece ball thinking they’re getting something WAY more than a 15 box of Super Hot’s strictly on price and name. Name can go a long way when it comes to price.

Interesting release for sure. Not sure I'll buy any but would be fun to test.

I think this has the potential to be a big release for Titleist. I'm really curious how they'll market it though and how they separate it from the ProV1 lineup without making it sound like a lesser ball. I haven't been too interested in the last couple new models from Titleist but this one actually has my attention.

I think this has the potential to be a big release for Titleist. I'm really curious how they'll market it though and how they separate it from the ProV1 lineup without making it sound like a lesser ball. I haven't been too interested in the last couple new models from Titleist but this one actually has my attention.
It’s the part of the story I’m most curious to see play out. Could be big, could simply take some share from others in this segment, could have no impact. I could make a case for all three results, makes it fun to se show it’s received for sure.

Quiiiiiite different than AVX as I’ve been hitting them against each other a bit. The AVX is kind of a freak with its spin and launch window haha

yeah, not gonna lie...i was kinda anti-titleist but the AVX got me all in...we'll see how the CSX shapes my opinion, tho...the feedback is unreal.

It’s the part of the story I’m most curious to see play out. Could be big, could simply take some share from others in this segment, could have no impact. I could make a case for all three results, makes it fun to se show it’s received for sure.
I personally think they priced it too high. Five bucks less and it’s in line with the ERC which is still five higher than the DTC market. But that goes with having your products at all the big box stores and pro shops.
I don’t know what the profit margin on golf balls are but it’s got to be good for Vice and Snell or they wouldn’t be doing it.

My initial reaction was precisely what I mentioned in the hypothetical thread ... that a lower priced urethane Titleist ball has the potential to cannibalize Pro V1 and AVX sales. After further consideration, however, I'm a lot less concerned. The golfers I know who play Pro V's aren't looking for a cheaper ball by Titleist or anyone else -- whether they need the tour level performance or not. Right or wrong, the Pro V is viewed by many as the best ball available, so that's what some golfers will play. So while I believe Titleist might lose a small percentage of their current tour ball customers to this new offering, especially during the launch cycle, it seems they're more likely to see a net gain drawing customers from other brands.

As for me, I'm willing to try them, but they'll have to be pretty special to pull me away from Srixon or Snell balls that fit my game really well and can be had at the same price or better. They're also $5 a dozen saltier than TaylorMade's urethane Tour Response, which I have yet to try.

I personally think they priced it too high. Five bucks less and it’s in line with the ERC which is still five higher than the DTC market. But that goes with having your products at all the big box stores and pro shops.
I don’t know what the profit margin on golf balls are but it’s got to be good for Vice and Snell or they wouldn’t be doing it.
But they’re Titleist, they don’t, in their eyes or the eyes of most I’d wager, need to put them at a lower price. They’re already technically doing that though compared to the other three urethane offerings anyway.

Vice/Snell sales are a fraction of Titleist, they don’t need the types of margins that those startups do.

WHOA. How did I miss a new urethane golf ball release? Someone needs to dock me a few points.

Great write up @Jman. I don’t know about this release at that price point. First, their description of mid price and mine are $10-$15 a part. If I’m a Titliest guy I’m spending the extra $10 of the ProV1. If I’m feeling smarter that day I’m buying the Bridgestone offerings for only $5 more. So that in mind it’s 10% difference from mid to high end? I don’t know, for me I won’t even bother trying this ball unless they hand em out for free like they did the Tru Feel. I don’t know the market share numbers, but I’d suspect the Titliest strangle hold is slipping away.

you know what, what the heck, I’ll purposely go into the pro shop and open a sleeve and see what these are. if they feel and look worth a darn I’ll try them out, I’ll just buy a sleeve regardless. I can’t fathom these being even remotely close to a prov1.

Nicely done on the review @Jman . Good read.

you know what, what the heck, I’ll purposely go into the pro shop and open a sleeve and see what these are. if they feel and look worth a darn I’ll try them out, I’ll just buy a sleeve regardless. I can’t fathom these being even remotely close to a prov1.
They’re not designed to be a ProV1 though.

And again, I assure you, they’re not at all “rocks”.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

3 piece urethane on paper is the same construction of the Pro V1. With that said, it is a different compression and different urethane material than that ball. I am looking forward to your thoughts as to what you see as the differences found.

Great write up @Jman. I don’t know about this release at that price point. First, their description of mid price and mine are $10-$15 a part. If I’m a Titliest guy I’m spending the extra $10 of the ProV1. If I’m feeling smarter that day I’m buying the Bridgestone offerings for only $5 more. So that in mind it’s 10% difference from mid to high end? I don’t know, for me I won’t even bother trying this ball unless they hand em out for free like they did the Tru Feel. I don’t know the market share numbers, but I’d suspect the Titliest strangle hold is slipping away.
I don’t think people grasp the difference/gap from #1 in golf ball market share (Titleist) to #2, it’s more than significant.

As discussed in @Jman previous hypothetical thread, the success of this ball will come down to successful marketing. The price point does make sense as it is higher level than the Tour soft and right in the wheelhouse of competitors like the ERC and RX.

I believe the majority of ball sales is not by members of forums like this, but off the shelves of big box retailers and golf shops. Everyone that picks up a golf club knows the Titleist name. We all probably purchased DTs in our younger days. Associated with Titleist, but affordable. There are those that’ll drop $40 for that Titleist name but cringe a little at $50.

I do wonder about the impact on the Tour Soft from this new ball. And the naming convention. Other manufacturers have used the speed and soft or spin names before. And for them, they were different sub categories of the same line, not the case here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think people grasp the difference/gap from #1 in golf ball market share (Titleist) to #2, it’s more than significant.
I’m sure it’s rather large but nobody likes their piece of pie being nibbled on. ;)

Back