Titleist Tour Speed Golf Ball Review

Confirmation of @Jman review by TXG:

Based on the excitement from the @Jman review, I got two sleeves of these to test out. I love the idea of Titleist finding a better price point and competing with the QST and RX of the world. I had one out on my Sunday round but the combination of never ending rain and closed greens made the results essentially meaningless. But I’m going to get one on the Quad tonight and see what I can do with launch and spin.

My package came in for testing!!
The current weather forecast makes on-course testing very difficult for a little bit but I will definitely get these on the launch monitor ASAP.

I really like the alignment aid on this Tour Speed ball. Here’a one picture that compares this ball to my current gamer, Srixon Q-Star Tour.

40A27EC1-F6EE-400B-B017-5CFA30152FDF.jpeg
I look forward to giving these a roll pretty soon to see which design works for me.

I was not part of the original test group, however my buddy got a dozen over the weekend and gave me a sleeve. I currently play the AVX(and a few others) so I really can't compare it to those, but I can compare it to the QST and for me the Tour Speed is better, not only around the green but they feel softer putting as well. Distance wise between the QST and the TS they're about the same. Off of irons the TS seemed to perform better and really had no issue stopping the ball, but it wasn't the hop/stop kind of stop it did has some roll out. Even though it's a urethane ball, it feels different that lets say than the AVX urethane. All in all a very good ball and probably will be played some.

NOTE: Balls are getting to be so good and consistent, it's very hard to get a distinction between different brands and types of balls unless it something glaring and obvious.

I was not part of the original test group, however my buddy got a dozen over the weekend and gave me a sleeve. I currently play the AVX(and a few others) so I really can't compare it to those, but I can compare it to the QST and for me the Tour Speed is better, not only around the green but they feel softer putting as well. Distance wise between the QST and the TS they're about the same. Off of irons the TS seemed to perform better and really had no issue stopping the ball, but it wasn't the hop/stop kind of stop it did has some roll out. Even though it's a urethane ball, it feels different that lets say than the AVX urethane. All in all a very good ball and probably will be played some.

NOTE: Balls are getting to be so good and consistent, it's very hard to get a distinction between different brands and types of balls unless it something glaring and obvious.
Yeah. There are definitely a LOT of really good options out there now more than ever.

In the urethane balls they are mostly converging around a fairly narrow range of ball speeds and spins off the driver and a slightly wider but still not huge range of spins off wedges. The various brands and models all differentiate themselves on the amount of spin off iron shots along with sound/feel and to a certain extent flight trajectory.

The good news about that is you can get the price, feel, trajectory and iron spin you like without giving up much (if anything) on driver and wedge shots.

I got back from my round this evening and these were waiting. I will try to get skytrak numbers this week before we go on our beach vacation. I will compare against my gamers (TP5x and Snell MTB-x) and possibly the Maxfli tour ball which has worked well for me in recent testing. I've hit some putts and short chips and they feel /sound good. I was thinking they would be a harder ball but they feel soft to me. 20200901_150522.jpg

In the urethane balls they are mostly converging around a fairly narrow range of ball speeds and spins off the driver and a slightly wider but still not huge range of spins off wedges. The various brands and models all differentiate themselves on the amount of spin off iron shots along with sound/feel and to a certain extent flight trajectory.

The good news about that is you can get the price, feel, trajectory and iron spin you like without giving up much (if anything) on driver and wedge shots.
In our testing we have seen over 750 rpms of spin difference with driver between balls. That might not be a lot for some, but we would classify that as a pretty darn big change.

In our testing we have seen over 750 rpms of spin difference with driver between balls. That might not be a lot for some, but we would classify that as a pretty darn big change.
On driver spin? I would find that hard to believe.

I think various models differ by more than 750rpm on iron shots, which is a lot. That seems to be where a lot of competition among different balls happens. If one ball spin 6000rpm off a 7-iron and another 6750rpm that will definitely affect distance, ball flight and stopping power.

Some probably differ by 750rpm on full wedge shots but the difference in, say, 9000rpm vs. 9750rpm isn't as big a deal.

On driver spin? I would find that hard to believe.

I think various models differ by more than 750rpm on iron shots, which is a lot. That seems to be where a lot of competition among different balls happens. If one ball spin 6000rpm off a 7-iron and another 6750rpm that will definitely affect distance, ball flight and stopping power.

Some probably differ by 750rpm on full wedge shots but the difference in, say, 9000rpm vs. 9750rpm isn't as big a deal.
We just put up a video showing 1200 rpms of difference in 7 irons by changing balls. @Canadan

We have absolutely seen 750rpms with driver. Compression differences matter and when you bring in Less than perfect impact the number can be even greater.

Agree with the putting feel I thought they were going to be a bit hard basednon feel and they measure very nicely with rx and QST. The arrow works even though not my go to alignment

I’ve been a Z Star XV guy but I’m gonna try these next time. Cost the same so will they give me the same performance? Be worth trying.

I plan to try these. I bought a dozen TM Tour Response balls last time I bought some, basically on a whim. These will be more on purpose. I sometimes wonder, where were these guys 50 years ago when I was gaming Spalding Blue Dots!

So this ball in Massachusetts. :oops: Titleist isn’t playing around when it comes to keeping and even taking market share.

I got on the Quad against my gamer, the RXS. I saw some pretty impressive (and true to target demo) numbers with an increased ball speed of 2 mph, a 1 degree increase in launch, and a 650rpm drop in spin on a 7 iron. On the driver, I saw a 500 rpm drop on the driver and the ball speed was about the same but the highest ball speed was a full 3 mph higher (but it could be a fluke because, again, the averages were basically the same). Wedges were spinning a fair bit less.

I’m no fan of the cover because it doesn’t strike me as a Titleist ball. The cover feels different and I HATE that alignment aid. Thankfully the performance is what matters.

I got on the Quad against my gamer, the RXS. I saw some pretty impressive (and true to target demo) numbers with an increased ball speed of 2 mph, a 1 degree increase in launch, and a 650rpm drop in spin on a 7 iron. On the driver, I saw a 500 rpm drop on the driver and the ball speed was about the same but the highest ball speed was a full 3 mph higher (but it could be a fluke because, again, the averages were basically the same). Wedges were spinning a fair bit less.

I’m no fan of the cover because it doesn’t strike me as a Titleist ball. The cover feels different and I HATE that alignment aid. Thankfully the performance is what matters.

Is that the current RXS? I saw my fastest ball speeds ever with my 7iron when I tested that ball. If this keeps up with that kind of speed, I might have a new battle for that spot in my bag.

Is that the current RXS? I saw my fastest ball speeds ever with my 7iron when I tested that ball. If this keeps up with that kind of speed, I might have a new battle for that spot in my bag.
It is the current RXS, yes. It dropped the spin down to (essentially) the same as the RX.

Received my test sleeves yesterday and had the chance to get out for 9 tonight. Weather was nice, temp around 80 with low humidity.
Overall physical feel, the cover was slightly tacky, not slick, which I prefer. There has been a lot of talk about the alignment aid, it’s bigger than some but to me it’s not obnoxious or overbearing. It actually worked quite well tonight.

Distance off the driver was good, it was comparable to my normal gamer (QST). Feel off the driver was equal to the QST as well, you knew when it was struck solid compared to out on the toe. Mis-hits held their line and did not lose too much distance either.

Impact on iron shots felt good. Sound was a nice “crack” not clicky at all like a lower grade ball. Shots into the green had a bit of roll out, 3 - 4 feet, very comparable to the QST for me. So it was a very easy adjustment switching to this ball and being able to trust my distances.

Feel off the putter was solid. I was a bit concerned here after reading other reviews, some had said these were a bit “clicky” off the putter. I did not find this to be the case. In fact I thought the Tour Speed had a solid feel off the putter Which allowed me to gauge distances fairly easy.
Overall, I was very pleased with the performance of this ball tonight. It helps that I was swinging the clubs well.
As far as a comparison with my gamer ( Srixon Q-Star Tour), I would say right now they perform equally.
I definitely look forward to putting this back in play.

Edit: I have to add, they fail the swim test. When hit into water, they sink straight to the bottom. 😊

Last edited:
I put the last one I had in to play last night and I was really pleased with the performance.
The course was wet so I can't talk about the green side spin however off the driver I had no issue drawing the ball and I got good distance from my irons.
Picked up 2 more dozen from Budget Golf Today. Going to play them as the weather cools down.

I have not had a chance to try the Tour Speed outside yet; however, I have spent the last two nights putting with it on a PuttOut mat. I alternated between the TS and QST yellow (my gamer for last two years) about every five putts. I also used two different putters, a Special Select Squareback 2 and an Odyssey Oworks 3T. While putting, the TS felt and sounded a bit more firm off the putter face (particularly the Scotty) than the QST. The differences in feel and sound were very minor and not in a negative way. I like the TS so far and I am looking forward to playing a round with it. Anxious to see how it compares to a QST with driver and wedges.

I was just breaking down some of my data from last night and this ball is incredibly playable and would be ideal for someone looking to lower their spin numbers. I saw a plenty of spin and launch on short irons and full wedge shots to not worry about stopping the ball. It actually took my spin numbers too low for my current driver setup, which is always a load of fun on the simulator - monster distance or monster hooks.

I received my Titelist Tour Speed balls in the mail earlier this week. I’ve used two balls through 27 holes. So far here are my thoughts on the ball:

Off the driver I have not seen significant gains. When I have connected with the center of the club face the ball flight has been great and penetrating however I do think I have lost about 10 yards of distance while comparing it to my chrome soft.

While using this ball I have seen the most significant gains while using irons. When connecting on the center of the club face this ball is a very consistent ball flight and has a very controlled landing. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve hit a shot thinking it will overshoot my target because of the penetrating ball flight however this ball has check. It does roll out a little bit but it seems very consistent.

My wedges and chipping I haven’t seen any noticeable differences however as mentioned earlier I do like bounce the ball has. It’s easy to control.

My putting has been atrocious with this ball. I think this is more of a user error on my end. I am use to watching a truvis roll as of recent and switching back to the white ball has me pushing putts. I don’t really care for the alignment arrow, but it doesn’t bother me really either.

Overall my first impression of this ball is that it is a very good quality ball. The ball feels heavy off of the face at times for me, but when hitting the correct shot this ball will carry with a ball flight that is consistent enough to score well during your round. I don’t see a serious sacrifice of spin around the greens and this is a ball I may start buying.

Tomorrow I plan on posting some videos during my round!

So, I spent some time with this ball today. My initial thoughts upon opening them is that they look like a quality ball. 20200902_230314.jpg
The font looks a tad thicker than the "Titleist" font on the ProV1. As far as the alignment arrow I don't use a line or arrow when putting so it doesn't do anything for me.
20200902_230253.jpg
I started with a bunch of putting with my Cleveland Huntington Beach 11s on my mat and it felt good off the putter face. At times it sounded a tad bit clicky but it feels soft and rolls nice.

I then decided to try some half shots with my 58* Cobra MIM lob wedge on my skytrak versus my current gamer balls. I took 10 shots with each. This is a shot I've worked on a bunch with my coach. I play it when I'm 45-50 yards from the flag. I try to land it 40-45 yards and have it check then roll out a bit.

First up is the Taylormade TP5x which has consistently performed the best for me especially in windy conditions. This was consistent and the details are below but it averaged 6,001rpms and carried 43 yards and rolled out to 46 yards.
20200902_215628.jpg

Next up is the Snell MTB-x which has been really good for me lately and is one of the best balls for the price in my opinion. The detailed numbers are below but on average it had 5,349rpms of backspin and carried 44 yards and rolled out to 48 yards.
20200902_230119.jpg

Finally I hit the Titleist Tour Speed ball. It felt good on these short shots but sounded a little higher pitch than the the other two balls. The details are below but on average it had 5051 rpms of backspin and carried 44 yards and rolled out to 48 yards. This performance will work fine on the course.
20200902_230214.jpg
I plan to do similar testing with a mid iron and also with driver. Is there anything else you all would like to see? I'm going to the beach with my family in a couple days so some of the data will come after that trip. I am planning to play a round or two with friends over the beach vacation and will bring a couple of these balls to try out on the course.

Back