Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 Fairway Woods and Hybrids

@Topper7073 and myself will be playing a course today in STL that he will be playing an amateur tournament next month in and I will be caddying for him in. Going to go down and get a look at it. Older course, actually the oldest standing public course west of the Mississippi. So the CBX 119 will probably get some work today. Will be getting some action shots and possibly a vid or two hopefully...

Well we didn't end up getting to test Saturday at this course. We showed up and were floored on how terrible the conditions were. We walked off after 9, and he is going to call today to get his money back for the tournament next month.

So the buzzkill of the course kinda killed our testing.

But, I did have a good range sesh yesterday morning mainly concentrating on iron play. But, I hit this in between clubs to break the routine up and again the ball just goes straight and having my grip and taking an inch off the butt end really helped with comfort level at address. Unless I put an ignorant swing on it, its turning into a really satisfying option for a straight ball. I still prefer a slightly bigger head at address, but its still clean and simple. I kinda migrated away from a 3 wood here as of late but im starting to enjoy hitting one again. I didn't hit any off the deck, just off the tee.

More to come....

Not gonna lie, that course completely killed my mood that day.

Look forward to hitting this. The shaft that's in it isn't close to what I need but we'll see how it goes.

At the range right now. Gonna see if I can get a couple people to try this 3w.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looking forward to the feedback kevin81002. Really enjoying what I am reading so far.

Couldn't get anyone to try it. Oh well... I have my regular Saturday game coming up. I'll get the guys on the range there to take it for a spin.

I was doing some comparisons between the cbx119 and my F9 I just finished building a new shaft for this morning. CBX is 16.5*, and I have the F9 set at 16*. My CBX is set up with a HZRDUS smoke 60g 6.0 shaft, and the F9 has a Tour AD BB 7X, both came in at D2.5 on my swingweight scale. From where I was hitting from today, the net at the end of the range scoped at 255yds. The cbx was 1 hopping to the fence with a nice flat trajectory. Launch angle was really good, and the ball just stayed on a rope... didn't climb much. The F9 started out on a little lower initial launch and climbed to about the same height. I'm guessing the spin was slightly higher with the F9. I did hit a few with the F9 that carried to the lower part of the fence, so carry distance was a little farther with the F9, but not by much. Honestly, with the shaft being firmer and heavier, I felt like I could go after the F9 a little more. Misses with the cbx119 were minimal and very playable. My tendency was to hit it straight to a slight draw. I like the way it feels, but if I were to play it regularly, I feel like I would need a heavier shaft.

More to come on Saturday with some fresh perspectives from my playing partners.

Last edited:
I played 2 rounds and used the CBX 119 several times off the tee both rounds. When I was putting good swings on the ball it was performing really well. I played 2 very wet courses, so I didn't see if it would chase out at all with the reduced spin. It was launching a little bit lower than my Epic SZ.

Last edited:
I got to play at my brother's club tonight and a few of his buddies. I showed one the CBX 119. He hit a few shots and absolutely striped them. He is buying one.

As I sit here getting ready for my training class this morning, I was going over some thoughts from my time testing the CBX119, and researching the current pricing of the CBX119 in comparison to other newer offerings on the market. Here are my thoughts all wrapped up...

Pros:
*I like the sound at impact. It provides great feedback to where you strike the ball, without being too dull or too harsh.
*Looks... Looking down at the club, it sits very square to the ball, and that sleek all black look with the HZRDUS Smoke shaft is awesome. I actually prefer there to be no alignment mark on the crown. It keeps everything looking clean. If you can't figure out where the center of the face is without an alignment mark, take up tennis instead. :D
*Distance... This thing is hot. With the tester they sent being 16.5* loft, the ball launches high and just keeps going. Nice flat penetrating ball flight.

Cons:
*Adjustability. There is none. Considering it's up there in price with some of the premium offerings that have a ton of adjustability, I would have liked to see an adjustable hosel to dial in the ballflight. One size does not fit all.
*Spin... For me, this would be a tee only option. Hitting it off the turf is really easy, but with the lack of spin, there's no way I could get it to stop coming in to a green. The only way I'd be looking to use this off the turf on a course is if I hit a poor drive on a par 5 and had a ton of yardage left, where it had the room to roll out. I went down to my local golf shop yesterday and borrowed their GC2 to compare the CBX119 to my Cobra F9 Fairway wood. Total distance and ball speed were pretty close, but the spin and carry distance were lower on the CBX119. Spin for me was almost 1k rpm less.
*Price... I was thinking for some reason the premiuim OEM fairway woods were a little higher priced. Not the case actually. Once you take the Honmas, XXIO's and the TM M5 out of the mix, It's priced the same or slightly higher than everything else on the market. And there are a TON of great fairway woods on the market right now. I'm just thinking something with no adjustability would be more on the lower side of the spectrum... not right along with the big boys that have all the adjustability you could want.
*Shaft Weight.. This might only be a con for me, but the shaft feels really light. Looking at the data on the Smoke 60 6.0, it's 59g. I'm used to playing something closer to the 80g range in a fairway wood.

I'm sure results will vary from person to person. But this is what I'm seeing, and what my thoughts are based on my usage so far.

Last edited:
Great thoughts there Kev

I cant wait to try this in a couple weeks

Ok, I have spent quite a bit of time with this club and I wanted to go ahead and give a full write up on it.

I received the Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 15* fairway wood with a Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft at 60g and 6.0 flex. The grip was a standard Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip in black.

Looks:

Upon unboxing the first thing I noticed was the finish of the head. It looks well made and it has a premium finish. The sole is a bit plain but some may enjoy that compared to the edgy designs employed by the other manufacturers. The headcover was really well done and I thought added to the look of the club in the bag. The next thing I noticed was the compact size of the head. I had already seen these on their website and they looked like they were thinner from face to the back of the head than most clubs but in hand this thing is really small compared to most other fairway woods I have had in my hand. At first I thought it might have a driver shaft on it when I set it down like I would at address, but in comparison to my Steelhead they are the same length, the small head just seems to make me perceive the club to be longer. I find myself wanting to grip down with this when I have it in play. The next thing I noticed was the deep face. This is a tall club from sole to crown. It also has a track feature on the sole for turf interaction. I feel with the small size of the head this is necessary to help you really go down after the ball when hitting off the deck.

Performance:

This club was made with distance in mind and it performs as expected. The center of gravity on this club is noticeably close to the front and center of the face. On center face contact the launch and ballflight are extremely satisfying and the ball goes a long way with some rollout. On toe and heel misses you get the feedback and miss that you deserve. This club is made for a ballstriker and they will really enjoy having it in the bag. Off the tee this is a club that would perform admirably as a driver replacement or a workable club on shorter par 4's. Off the deck you need a bit more concentration and you must trust the sole design to do it's job, but if you do the reward is again a very nicely launched ball that gets plenty of distance. I found myself at first trying to pick the ball of the turf with this club which did not work, it's really made to go right after the ground and ball.

Feel & Sound:

I always put these together because the feel of a club is 90% the sound it makes imo. You hit a club that goes thwack and it feels soft, you hit a club that goes ting and it feels harder. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the softest thwack and 10 being the hardest ting this club is probably a 6.5. I think the feel is nearly identical to the Ping G400 series of clubs. If you like the feel of those, this will be very familiar. Center face contact gives a satisfying smashing feeling with a slight metallic sound to it. As for feedback, I thought it was easy to tell when I had gone toe or heel, I could not get a good read on high or low misses though. I am a bit of a picker so I never really get high on the face with any club except a wedge or driver, but I miss low a lot. The only way I could tell when I had caught this low was the ballflight, there was not a lot of feedback from feel.

Forgiveness:

This club is not very forgiving with regards to left and right misses. You lose distance and it can get off line in a hurry if you hit a slice or hook. That is the trade off for the extraordinary distance you get on well struck shots. Where there is forgiveness is low on the club face. The low spin means a low miss really goes a long way whether it launches very well or not. You get a lot of rollout. This would not help when there is a hazard to carry obviously, but on a lot of holes this forgiveness was much appreciated by me.

Value:

I want to be as fair as possible, this is a really good club, but I am not sure it's a $299 club. There is no adjust-ability and the only shaft available is the Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft. This feels more like $200-$250 offering to me. I think Tour Edge is kind of in that spot where they want to send a premium signal with their price. I think given the lack of adjust-ability they could have still done this at a lower price point.

Will I use this club?

This is the main question I think reviews come down to. The pros compared to my gamer are that I can hit it further. On well struck shots I get about 10 extra yards. The cons are that it is harder to strike well and I don't get as much distance on poorer strikes. The Smoke Black shaft is also not optimal for my swing. I feel like I really have to go after it to load this shaft and get a good strike from this club. Unfortunately my game is not in a spot where I will get better overall results from using this club over my current gamer so I will not be making the switch.

Who would love this club?

This could be a good club for a driver replacement, but I think the player who would really like this club is a solid ballstriker who only plays one fairway wood. This would give them a great option off the tee on shorter holes or where they wanted to avoid trouble while also giving them a really long option from the deck on par 5's where they wanted to get as close to the hole as possible. Much like a blade iron I believe this club in the right hands would also offer a ton of workability. We have a 195 yard par 3 with trees down the left side where putting the ball out to the right and drawing it back to the green is the best shot. I have hit a couple of excellent shots with this club off of that tee.

I hope this review is helpful, please feel free to ask me any questions you can come up with.

Ok, I have spent quite a bit of time with this club and I wanted to go ahead and give a full write up on it.

I received the Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 15* fairway wood with a Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft at 60g and 6.0 flex. The grip was a standard Golf Pride Tour Velvet grip in black.

Looks:

Upon unboxing the first thing I noticed was the finish of the head. It looks well made and it has a premium finish. The sole is a bit plain but some may enjoy that compared to the edgy designs employed by the other manufacturers. The headcover was really well done and I thought added to the look of the club in the bag. The next thing I noticed was the compact size of the head. I had already seen these on their website and they looked like they were thinner from face to the back of the head than most clubs but in hand this thing is really small compared to most other fairway woods I have had in my hand. At first I thought it might have a driver shaft on it when I set it down like I would at address, but in comparison to my Steelhead they are the same length, the small head just seems to make me perceive the club to be longer. I find myself wanting to grip down with this when I have it in play. The next thing I noticed was the deep face. This is a tall club from sole to crown. It also has a track feature on the sole for turf interaction. I feel with the small size of the head this is necessary to help you really go down after the ball when hitting off the deck.

Performance:

This club was made with distance in mind and it performs as expected. The center of gravity on this club is noticeably close to the front and center of the face. On center face contact the launch and ballflight are extremely satisfying and the ball goes a long way with some rollout. On toe and heel misses you get the feedback and miss that you deserve. This club is made for a ballstriker and they will really enjoy having it in the bag. Off the tee this is a club that would perform admirably as a driver replacement or a workable club on shorter par 4's. Off the deck you need a bit more concentration and you must trust the sole design to do it's job, but if you do the reward is again a very nicely launched ball that gets plenty of distance. I found myself at first trying to pick the ball of the turf with this club which did not work, it's really made to go right after the ground and ball.

Feel & Sound:

I always put these together because the feel of a club is 90% the sound it makes imo. You hit a club that goes thwack and it feels soft, you hit a club that goes ting and it feels harder. On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being the softest thwack and 10 being the hardest ting this club is probably a 6.5. I think the feel is nearly identical to the Ping G400 series of clubs. If you like the feel of those, this will be very familiar. Center face contact gives a satisfying smashing feeling with a slight metallic sound to it. As for feedback, I thought it was easy to tell when I had gone toe or heel, I could not get a good read on high or low misses though. I am a bit of a picker so I never really get high on the face with any club except a wedge or driver, but I miss low a lot. The only way I could tell when I had caught this low was the ballflight, there was not a lot of feedback from feel.

Forgiveness:

This club is not very forgiving with regards to left and right misses. You lose distance and it can get off line in a hurry if you hit a slice or hook. That is the trade off for the extraordinary distance you get on well struck shots. Where there is forgiveness is low on the club face. The low spin means a low miss really goes a long way whether it launches very well or not. You get a lot of rollout. This would not help when there is a hazard to carry obviously, but on a lot of holes this forgiveness was much appreciated by me.

Value:

I want to be as fair as possible, this is a really good club, but I am not sure it's a $299 club. There is no adjust-ability and the only shaft available is the Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black shaft. This feels more like $200-$250 offering to me. I think Tour Edge is kind of in that spot where they want to send a premium signal with their price. I think given the lack of adjust-ability they could have still done this at a lower price point.

Will I use this club?

This is the main question I think reviews come down to. The pros compared to my gamer are that I can hit it further. On well struck shots I get about 10 extra yards. The cons are that it is harder to strike well and I don't get as much distance on poorer strikes. The Smoke Black shaft is also not optimal for my swing. I feel like I really have to go after it to load this shaft and get a good strike from this club. Unfortunately my game is not in a spot where I will get better overall results from using this club over my current gamer so I will not be making the switch.

Who would love this club?

This could be a good club for a driver replacement, but I think the player who would really like this club is a solid ballstriker who only plays one fairway wood. This would give them a great option off the tee on shorter holes or where they wanted to avoid trouble while also giving them a really long option from the deck on par 5's where they wanted to get as close to the hole as possible. Much like a blade iron I believe this club in the right hands would also offer a ton of workability. We have a 195 yard par 3 with trees down the left side where putting the ball out to the right and drawing it back to the green is the best shot. I have hit a couple of excellent shots with this club off of that tee.

I hope this review is helpful, please feel free to ask me any questions you can come up with.
Awesome feedback

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Great write up there....

More time was spent with this yesterday on the range and on the course as I used it in between iron shots warming up and on the shorter par 4's where less than driver is needed. At first I didn't like the all black head, but im starting to like it honestly. Im not one to "work" a golf ball so the low spinning ball is great for finding the fairway when I need it the most. As some said, yes its not adjustable but that doesn't bother me much as im not one to wrench on my woods once they are set. Also at the price point of 299 if I was in the market for a three wood im not sure this would be my first choice at that price. BUT, that doesn't mean its not worth that price and the reason Tour Edge is trying to get these in the hands of the consumer so they can see the great performance of their brand and not have the misconception of a "lower tier" product. I can tell you its not close to the lower tier and can compete with the big boys. But its going to come down to what the consumer wants out of that club.

I plan to continue putting this in the hands of fellow club members as well as THPers and posting more unbiased opinions.

I plan to continue putting this in the hands of fellow club members as well as THPers and posting more unbiased opinions.

I will be one of those. Look foward

Looking forward to hitting this next weekend.

Looking forward to hitting this next weekend.

As much as a 3 wood fanatic as you are, im looking forward to see what you have to say. Get your video skills ready!

Here is a first video of my complete thoughts so far. Btw, please excuse the skank ball I hit lol big time out on the toe. But, it made it in the fairway! I will say this, it doesnt venture far from the target on mishits, which is great for keeping the ball in front of you. I will have more videos to come...

https://youtu.be/IpDiuxRyxDc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff in that video. Thank you for the review. I love the look of this club.

Here is a first video of my complete thoughts so far. Btw, please excuse the skank ball I hit lol big time out on the toe. But, it made it in the fairway! I will say this, it doesnt venture far from the target on mishits, which is great for keeping the ball in front of you. I will have more videos to come...

https://youtu.be/IpDiuxRyxDc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very good thoughts and looked like you put a nice easy swing on it.

Well done, Brian! Love the video

Back