Good deal edaniel, keep us posted on your journey with the tour pro.

im debating if i should go ahead and get the tour striker wedge also----reading up on reviews right now...harder to find reviews on the wedge....

**im thinking of holding off for now...and mess with the TSP iron first--- ***

im debating if i should go ahead and get the tour striker wedge also----reading up on reviews right now...harder to find reviews on the wedge....

**im thinking of holding off for now...and mess with the TSP iron first--- ***

I would recommend that you PM Old Gray and ask him, he has 2 tour strikers, one of which is the wedge and ask his recommendation on this.

Took my first lesson last week and the Pro had me hitting the 7 iron TS on short chip shots to learn how it feels to have the hands leading properly. Really considering getting one now...

Took my first lesson last week and the Pro had me hitting the 7 iron TS on short chip shots to learn how it feels to have the hands leading properly. Really considering getting one now...

So far my best success with the TS 7i is with pitches. I've had a couple of full swings where I've made good contact, but this club definitely forces you to get into the right positions. If you make good contact you know it, the ball just vanishes. If you mishit even slightly you REALLY know it. I use the club for warm up before my rounds and have a hard time getting the ball up. Flight looks like maybe a 2 iron. Then when I swing my clubs and have all that extra forgiveness the ball just rockets into the air.

I'm getting better with the TS but it's still pretty rare for me to get it right. It can be frustrating if I allow it to be.

So far my best success with the TS 7i is with pitches. I've had a couple of full swings where I've made good contact, but this club definitely forces you to get into the right positions. If you make good contact you know it, the ball just vanishes. If you mishit even slightly you REALLY know it. I use the club for warm up before my rounds and have a hard time getting the ball up. Flight looks like maybe a 2 iron. Then when I swing my clubs and have all that extra forgiveness the ball just rockets into the air.
I'm getting better with the TS but it's still pretty rare for me to get it right. It can be frustrating if I allow it to be.

Good stuff Matt, I think the above statement could go a long way in keeping me from feeling fustrated. Keep up the good work.

Good stuff Matt, I think the above statement could go a long way in keeping me from feeling fustrated. Keep up the good work.

The only problem I'm having is that my distances are really screwy now. When I'm swinging well, I am at least two clubs longer than before I started with the TS. Case in point was in my round yesterday, I took a normal 7i swing and blew the ball not only over the green but it went into the woods 20' up in the trees. Backed down to a 9i and still flew the green but just barely. I hate feeling like I'm underclubbing, but with the impressive gains with the TS, I have to or risk a ton of OB penalties.

My buddies at TS hooked me up with one just before my trip to Myrtle Beach. Just at first glance it really makes you cover the ball in order to hit it correctly.
My first two stings produced low line drives, my third a low hook. My forth a long, high draw. I hit another with the same result. I quickly grabbed my real 7 iron and hit it even higher.
During my warm up, anytime I strayed off line with my irons I grabbed the TS. It made me a patient golfer and really gave great feed back on my misses.

You want to share your buddies?haha. I need to get me a TS

I bought a Tour Striker Pro 7-iron over the winter, but didn't really have a chance to use it frequently up here until the past month or so. I've been using it at the driving range that I go to, which is all mats. This is one training tool that actually works well with mats, because there's no way that you can "fluff up" the lie that the ball is on.

Even though I knew from a fitting last year on Trackman that I do hit down on the ball, I still had some trouble with this club at first. Most of my shots were either topped shots, or shots that got in the air like punch shots, but not at my normal 7-iron trajectory. However, after working with it some more, I'm now able to hit the majority of my shots with this club on a normal 7-iron trajectory. I do tend to draw this club a little bit more than my regular 7-iron, but I'm not sure why that is. Also, if I get lazy with this club, it easily lets me know that because the ballflight changes significantly when you don't hit it well. Also, I've figured out that even on the shots that fly on the punch shot trajectory, I'm still somewhat hitting down on the ball, so as long as I don't hit the topped shots, I'm still doing something right.

Where this club really helps out is when you go back to your regular 7-iron, because it looks HUGE compared to the Tour Striker Pro. Even if you hit down on the ball well right now, the smaller sweet spot on the Tour Striker Pro really makes you concentrate, so it's easier when you go back to your regular club. Now for the payoff: on my regular iron shots, the trajectory is a bit higher than it was before I started using the Tour Striker Pro, and I've probably picked up 5-10 yards on my iron shots as well. For example, last year, I was barely able to get to the 160 yard flag with my 7-iron. Last night, it was about 50 degrees at the range with a crosswind, and I was able to carry some of my shots with that 7-iron past the 160 yard flag. I'm still not seeing those improvements with my hybrid, 3-wood, and driver, but I'm hoping that will come as in time.

If anyone has questions for me about using this club, feel free to post them.

Nice job arydolphin . Wish you continued success.

Good stuff guys, keep up the good work and keep the reports coming.

I bought the 8 iron version last year and it worked well, I have started to fall back into some of my old habits and this thread reminded me that I need to drag it out to the range again for some work!

The only problem I'm having is that my distances are really screwy now. When I'm swinging well, I am at least two clubs longer than before I started with the TS. Case in point was in my round yesterday, I took a normal 7i swing and blew the ball not only over the green but it went into the woods 20' up in the trees. Backed down to a 9i and still flew the green but just barely. I hate feeling like I'm underclubbing, but with the impressive gains with the TS, I have to or risk a ton of OB penalties.

This is what I'm seeing as well. Suddenly my 8i is my 150 club... at least on the range so far. I have only used the TS 3 times. The first was an absolute debacle and I second-guessed the purchase... for just a split second. The second time was better. The third time I was getting the ball up with somewhat regularity... I'd say 65% of the time with the "misses" being a lower shots and not ground balls. I see the huge benefit when I swing the TS 10 times, then take a nice easy swing with my X-22 7i... and watch the ball fly :)

FINALLY!!! I had my AHA! moment with my Tour Striker today. I took only my TS to the range for a bucket of 50 balls. I had been having trouble getting the correct hit on the TS. I was getting about 60% in the air, most 10-20 feet in the air. The first 10 balls I had 4-5 5-10 high and the rest bladed. In the middle of the next 10, I remembered a playing partner of mine telling me that my left arm (rt hand player) was bending a lot. I started to concentrate on keeping my left arm straighter, and VOILA! I started hitting 80-90% of my shots 30-50' high! I kept concentrating on my left arm and those posts about how the ball was jumping off the TS was actually happening to ME!

My last 10 balls were 1 bad blade, 6 real good shots and 3 great shots.

I can't wait until my next range session!!!!

FINALLY!!! I had my AHA! moment with my Tour Striker today. I took only my TS to the range for a bucket of 50 balls. I had been having trouble getting the correct hit on the TS. I was getting about 60% in the air, most 10-20 feet in the air. The first 10 balls I had 4-5 5-10 high and the rest bladed. In the middle of the next 10, I remembered a playing partner of mine telling me that my left arm (rt hand player) was bending a lot. I started to concentrate on keeping my left arm straighter, and VOILA! I started hitting 80-90% of my shots 30-50' high! I kept concentrating on my left arm and those posts about how the ball was jumping off the TS was actually happening to ME!

My last 10 balls were 1 bad blade, 6 real good shots and 3 great shots.

I can't wait until my next range session!!!!

I look forward to that moment with great anticipation. I get one to launch correctly only occasionaly, and when I do I feel like a champion. I have so many things to work on in my game it's really difficult to narrow it down to work on only one.

I had asked Andy in the Ask the Pro section about help with my hybrids. I got some great advise. Plus, I replied with this:

"Thanks for the help. I don't know where exactly my ball position should be on my 5 iron. I had all the clubs a little forward in my stance with my hands forward of the ball. A friend of mine had told me that my left arm looked like a wet noodle! So, I now try to keep my left arm straight, but not absolutely rigid!!

I did go out to the range today with my tour striker, Cleveland CG16 7 iron, TM 2.0 6 iron, (both of which I'm trying out), my own Nike Slingshot 6 iron, 3 hybrids and my 3 wood. I started off by hitting about 5 balls with my tour striker. I hit it pretty well. I then hit the CG16 extremely well, my Nike very well, the TM not so well. I hit my TS for another 10 balls. I then hit my hybrids much better! I'm going to keep hitting these clubs for a few range sessions to see if my hybrid striking gets better. I know my iron striking is getting much, much better the more I hit the TS.

Does this sound like a good way to have a range session?? I seem to be hitting the clubs much better. Is there anything else I should be trying or being aware of?

Thanks for your help, Andy."

My Tour Striker is helping with me with ALL my clubs!

Last edited:
Well, I went out today with my clubs. I have regressed!!!! Man, oh man. I hit only a dozen or so balls with the TS that were even half way decent!!! I'm going to keep at it, tho'. Tomorrow (or Monday) is another day!!!

Well, I went out today with my clubs. I have regressed!!!! Man, oh man. I hit only a dozen or so balls with the TS that were even half way decent!!! I'm going to keep at it, tho'. Tomorrow (or Monday) is another day!!!

Not that I blame it on the TS but my swing has gone so far into the crapper that I scheduled lessons. I think the combination of the TS and the TM Speedsleeve, along with a healthy dose of over thinking the swing have me so discomboobulated that I have little chance of fixing it myself.

My TS should be here soon cant wait.....Love all the write ups you guys have been doing . Im hoping to contribute soon

Are you guys watching the DVD or just hitting the club? Just wondering...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did watch the DVD. Maybe I need to watch it again. I must be missing something. Although, when I slow down my swing, I start to hit it much better, no low hooks. If I keep my eye on the ball and not look up too soon, I'm much much better. No hooks or toe hits.

I agree about the lessons. I should schedule some. But my well electric shorted out and it will cost $1120 to trench another line!!!! Home ownership, priceless!!

Watch that DVD again, it will help. Gary has some good things to say. Good luck with that electric

I think there might be a neat combination out there for those of us that have made some progress but are vulnerable to regressions (like maybe all of us that are not pros or highly skilled amateurs).

I have a Tour Striker and the guys in this thread that have commented including myself are dead on. You absolutely have to hit it right or the ball will go nowhere. On the other hand when you do hit it right the ball just rockets off the club face and the advances you make with it are transferable to your clubs. While its intent is to help you establish good forward shaft lean, you must be do all the things that you need to do anyway to get the club face to the ball in good position. As such it really excels at turning mediocre ball striking into good ball striking and good ball striking into great ball striking.I have made this comment before and others have made it since.

I have a suspicion that in my case I tend to get focused on my position with the Tour Striker (as in "oh now I get it, that is what I have to do to hit the ball solidly every time"). Ya' sure jnug, you have got the golfing world by the short hairs now don't ya'! Sure you do.

What I think happens is that I sometimes get so focused on my position that I forget how incredibly important tempo is. I have been swinging the Orange Whip lately and while there are a number of things that you cannot do with it, it will definitely help you recover your tempo and your rhythm. You cannot hit golf balls with it and I am not even sure you would want to hit golf balls with something with that much flex in the shaft. I also think that while it really does help you establish or reestablish good tempo and rhythm in your swing unlike the Tour Striker I think you could successfully swing it with swing flaws. For example, while the OW is heavy enough to make it uncomfortable to swing out of balance or with poor tempo and rhythm, I think you could roll your left wrist over instead of keeping it hinged as you must to really hit a golf ball and still swing the Orange Whip "successfully".

While you have to do everything right to hit the ball properly with the Tour Striker, if your tempo and rhythm go missing, the Tour Striker will not really help you get them back. While you could get them back stubbornly swinging the Tour Striker you would not get them back because of the Tour Striker. You will get them back because ultimately you will stumble onto the fact that your tempo and rhythm have gone to hell. However as many have said and I think even the makers of the Tour Striker suggest, it is a tool for those of us that have already made a good deal of progress. It is difficult enough to hit the ball with it when your tempo and rhythm are on. So, trying to get them back with the Tour Striker can be more then frustrating. You might even push yourself into even more swing issues as you struggle to regain the proficiency you had with the Tour Striker.

So I really think that a combination of the Tour Striker and the Orange Whip might really help many of us keep our tempo, rhythm and balance, our swing position and the general quality of our ball striking moving in the right direction.

If I could only have one tool, it would be the Tour Striker as I have made a good deal of progress in my ball striking and I can recognize when my tempo has gone off soon enough. The problem is that recognizing that my tempo has gone off and fixing it are not the same thing. However I think it is really helpful to use both together.

I actually think I like many of us will always have to take some swings with the Tour Striker to maintain some level of quality in my ball striking. However when I struggle with the Tour Striker the first thing I am going to do from now on is pick up my Orange Whip and make sure I can get my tempo and rhythm in a good place.

Last edited:
Are you guys watching the DVD or just hitting the club? Just wondering...

I have watched it several times. In the funk that I am currently in I will be watching again in the next 24 hours... Thanks for the reminder!

Good post jung, I like the insight into the use of both the TS and the OW, seems to be an awesome combination.

I think there might be a neat combination out there for those of us that have made some progress but are vulnerable to regressions (like maybe all of us that are not pros or highly skilled amateurs).

I have a Tour Striker and the guys in this thread that have commented including myself are dead on. You absolutely have to hit it right or the ball will go nowhere. On the other hand when you do hit it right the ball just rockets off the club face and the advances you make with it are transferable to your clubs. While its intent is to help you establish good forward shaft lean, you must be do all the things that you need to do anyway to get the club face to the ball in good position. As such it really excels at turning mediocre ball striking into good ball striking and good ball striking into great ball striking.I have made this comment before and others have made it since.

I have a suspicion that in my case I tend to get focused on my position with the Tour Striker (as in "oh now I get it, that is what I have to do to hit the ball solidly every time"). Ya' sure jnug, you have got the golfing world by the short hairs now don't ya'! Sure you do.

What I think happens is that I sometimes get so focused on my position that I forget how incredibly important tempo is. I have been swinging the Orange Whip lately and while there are a number of things that you cannot do with it, it will definitely help you recover your tempo and your rhythm. You cannot hit golf balls with it and I am not even sure you would want to hit golf balls with something with that much flex in the shaft. I also think that while it really does help you establish or reestablish good tempo and rhythm in your swing unlike the Tour Striker I think you could successfully swing it with swing flaws. For example, while the OW is heavy enough to make it uncomfortable to swing out of balance or with poor tempo and rhythm, I think you could roll your left wrist over instead of keeping it hinged as you must to really hit a golf ball and still swing the Orange Whip "successfully".

While you have to do everything right to hit the ball properly with the Tour Striker, if your tempo and rhythm go missing, the Tour Striker will not really help you get them back. While you could get them back stubbornly swinging the Tour Striker you would not get them back because of the Tour Striker. You will get them back because ultimately you will stumble onto the fact that your tempo and rhythm have gone to hell. However as many have said and I think even the makers of the Tour Striker suggest, it is a tool for those of us that have already made a good deal of progress. It is difficult enough to hit the ball with it when your tempo and rhythm are on. So, trying to get them back with the Tour Striker can be more then frustrating. You might even push yourself into even more swing issues as you struggle to regain the proficiency you had with the Tour Striker.

So I really think that a combination of the Tour Striker and the Orange Whip might really help many of us keep our tempo, rhythm and balance, our swing position and the general quality of our ball striking moving in the right direction.

If I could only have one tool, it would be the Tour Striker as I have made a good deal of progress in my ball striking and I can recognize when my tempo has gone off soon enough. The problem is the recognizing that my tempo has gone off and fixing it are not the same thing. However I think it is really helpful to use both together.

I actually think I like many off us will always have to take some swings with the Tour Striker to maintain some level of quality in my ball striking. However when I struggle with the Tour Striker the first thing I am going to do from now on and pick up my Orange Whip and make sure I can get my tempo and rhythm in a good place.

I haven't used the Orange Whip, nor do I even know what it is, but I have to agree with the tempo thoughts I used the TM SpeedSleeve in conjunction (but separately) with the TS and I think for the first time I was able to "find" the bottom of my swing. I was killing the ball and felt like I was making major progress. Then the wheels completely fell off for my last two rounds, last three range sessions, and now I don't have a clue what I'm doing! It's very frustrating, but that's why I finally signed up for lessons with a well respected teacher in my area of the country.

I have no expectation that HE will fix me, but I hope like hell that he can point me in the right direction. I'm gonna work hard at it, but I fully expect to be dropping 6 or 7 stroke in the very near future!

Back