True Blue - Morgan Cup Course - Tips, Tricks, Hole Thoughts

On the outside right of hole 15, the fitting/lesson area had a big old bunker right beside it, not unlike what we saw along the fairways of the course.. I wonder if they'd allow you to head over to that side and just bang balls onto the range from there.

I know exactly the area you are talking about. In fact JB and I almost got drilled by an errant shot from 15 on Weds afternoon while doing some short game stuff.

I know exactly the area you are talking about. In fact JB and I almost got drilled by an errant shot from 15 on Weds afternoon while doing some short game stuff.

hah! At first we looked at that bunker and all decided it was a mean placement, but I really do wonder if it's there in part for practice..

That section looks sweet. I saw a putting green in the background but didn't get a good look at it.. I hope it's got a big tier I can practice putting down!!

On the outside right of hole 15, the fitting/lesson area had a big old bunker right beside it, not unlike what we saw along the fairways of the course.. I wonder if they'd allow you to head over to that side and just bang balls onto the range from there.

i saw that as well and thats one thing i was planning on doing if it was available.

Just wanted to bump this thread since there's some talk about True Blue/Caledonia in the MC thread this morning. To anyone who has played True Blue in the past, what's that one shot you should have mastered going into a round at True Blue? Is it the shot from the waste bunker? Or is did you find another situation you were in quite often that required a different type of approach? From a guy who has never played it, I am looking forward to see what people think!

I do think learning to hit out of a bunch of different lies in the sand is important. Practice swings help, but having some confidence there will do wonders.

True Blue is one of those courses you can play in so many different ways. You really have to have a plan and stick to it. My plan was to play to my strengths and not try to get into the power game, since I didn't have one. I played to comfortable distances and let my wedges bail me out rather than take a bunch of shots I didn't have in the bag.

Just wanted to bump this thread since there's some talk about True Blue/Caledonia in the MC thread this morning. To anyone who has played True Blue in the past, what's that one shot you should have mastered going into a round at True Blue? Is it the shot from the waste bunker? Or is did you find another situation you were in quite often that required a different type of approach? From a guy who has never played it, I am looking forward to see what people think!

To me the fairways at True Blue are so wide I just tried to hit it down the middle. This year I plan to think a little more off the tee ad do a better job of setting up my second shot.

In hindsight, the "stay away from the water" shot would have been one to master.

My recommendation is to have your scoring irons ready. The landing areas off the tee are pretty generous (a few water holes notwithstanding), but you really need to focus on placing your approach shots in the correct areas. There are so many teirs and undulations that simply getting the ball on the green will not be enough.

If I was playing the MC, I would invest in a yardage book that contained diagrams of the greens. I don't know if TB has one, but I would certainly purchase it if it is available.

For the sand, if you are not used to beach sand, be sure to hit a couple shots in the practice area. It takes a little getting used to, but in my experience the sand is not that tough once you get the hang of it.

I had forgotten about this thread when I posted int he MC thread this morning so I will ask my question here. How is the sand at the course? Light and fluffy or other?

I have to get used to being able to ground my club at True Blue. Took awhile to get used to and I struggled with the driver that day so I was in them more times than not. Mastering that shot will be important for me

I had forgotten about this thread when I posted int he MC thread this morning so I will ask my question here. How is the sand at the course? Light and fluffy or other?

It's beach sand, which is a little denser than typical, fluffy bunker sand. It's not hard pan, though.

I remember the sand at TB being consistent throughout the course, which I really liked.

A lot of people are talking about rain being a big factor as well. What did it seem to have the most effect on? I imagine the greens?

A lot of people are talking about rain being a big factor as well. What did it seem to have the most effect on? I imagine the greens?

The course handled it very well. The bunkers and greens had some effect but it was not a huge factor.

Yea, the greens were slower at Caledonia from what I recall.

So with some of the clubs available for the MC being adjustable, could the vets see a benefit from adjusting clubs from course to course?

I can't think of a time that I would have really considered that, but it wasn't an option.

I thought the sand at True Blue had 2 very different feels. In the waste areas around the fairways it was packed down pretty hard, but in the green side bunkers it was pretty light, and easy to get out of. Not like that nasty Florida bunker sand...I hate that stuff.

So with some of the clubs available for the MC being adjustable, could the vets see a benefit from adjusting clubs from course to course?

I might make a slight adjustment. But it depends on what my setup is like and how I am hitting the ball that day. The other day I mentioned setting the 3W at 15 or 16 and then the 5W up to 20. But depending on some things I might make the 3w Stronger to be used more off the tee and then 5W maybe stronger, not sure. I probably would not touch the hybrid in this situation.

the rain made everything wet. :alien:

i remember playing #4 and #5 in what was basically a downpour. par/par or bogey/par? i forget. but it was coming down pretty good and i wasn't a fan. after it had cleared, the ground was a little soggy, and i muffed 2 or 3 shots....let's go ahead and blame that on the rain....

if you have time! lol

i've heard some guys say that they would pump up their fairway woods a degree or two, so they could take driver out of play at Caledonia.
i guess it just depends on how you're hitting your sticks that weekend.

the rain made everything wet. :alien:

i remember playing #4 and #5 in what was basically a downpour. par/par or bogey/par? i forget. but it was coming down pretty good and i wasn't a fan. after it had cleared, the ground was a little soggy, and i muffed 2 or 3 shots....let's go ahead and blame that on the rain....

if you have time! lol

i've heard some guys say that they would pump up their fairway woods a degree or two, so they could take driver out of play at Caledonia.
i guess it just depends on how you're hitting your sticks that weekend.

exactly my friend. I don't think Caledonia is a unfriendly course for the driver, but it could be more penalizing off the tee then True Blue.

I think I will make some slight adjustments. True Blue is basically the driver on every hole for me. I will likely make some small adjustments to the fairway woods and hybrids to lower the lofts and have more options off the tee for Caledonia.

Great review of wonderful golf course. Played it in 2000

Sorry if this has already been posted, but it kills two birds with one stone, Cobra/Puma Golf staffer Blair as well as some good info on True Blue!!!

Good video. Good memories from Invitational #2 and can't wait to get down in July!

Look what came in the mail today!!!
IMG_1943_zpse5160018.jpg

IMG_1944_zpsf27717fd.jpg

IMG_1945_zpsd902d420.jpg

Hole 13: It may be difficult to be successful on this hole, as if you're anything like me, your jaw will be dragging at the great design and attractive aesthetics of this hole. 397 yards to the center of the green, but an open fairway even on the left hand side past the waste bunker which juts out from the tee box. I would encourage an attempted draw played directly at the center of the fairway with lots of power, with the goal of putting a wedge in your hand. Upon approach, really get a good look at the pin colour and your marked tiers because the green is predominately blind on approach. In short, this hole is challenging and beautiful, but it can sting if you're not careful!

From the tee, it's more welcoming on the right hand side, but don't be too fooled to avoid hitting at the center!
20121208_133949.jpg

Looking from slightly left of center fairway on approach. Notice the green being hidden..
20121208_134653.jpg

I've been thinking a lot about True Blue lately, and am excited to get back. That said, this is still one of my favourite golf holes ever. Not particularly difficult to find the fairway, but looks awesome off the tee.. Then a visibly guarded multi-tier green with some seriously angry bunkers to stay out of in front..

Can't wait to get back and throw some darts here! Plus, it's right by the True Blue OG Woodshed!

Back