Trying to Break 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi GolferGal,

Me thinks you and I are on the same wavelength here.

I harbour the same feelings and that is why I have been playing at my smaller 62-par. Even on the weekends they usually have many fully open tee times between the hours of 10:30am through about 12:30pm and so there is a whole lot less pressure with the pace of play. I can play a single by myself with no wait. It may partly be due to the fact that the "really good players" might be looking down their noses at it but it's just fine with me.

The funny thing is that I use the driving range at a facility that has two 70s-par courses and I've seen people at the first tee just hit their ball all over the place too. I can almost feel their tension and their mind working against themselves as they address that ball. I'm sure they know how to hit the ball well, but something just seems to get hold of their thoughts and it just gives them the wobbles.

Someone at the office says that he actually plays his best when he has a light beer buzz.

I do seem to lose my pre-shot routine on the course. I think it's because I feel rushed. I hate the idea of slowing anyone down. This, among many other reasons, is why I am really looking forward to my playing lesson on Thursday with my instructor. She wants to see how I think on the course and see what changes I am making from range to course. I think this is going to be an incredible experience. Plus, selfishly, I have wanted to play the course she teaches at ever since I started taking lessons. It looks so nice but I have never played there.

Your routine is part of your shot - don't worry about that being a reason for holding people up -- unless you take 14 practice it's fine. Slow play is caused much more by putting bags down in silly places around the green, not paying attention or not watching where your ball goes than a few seconds lining up. Be confident on the course and be sure before you hit - within reason ofc.

If you fall a hole behind just let a group through - it's worth getting a routine sorted.

Hi GolferGal,

Me thinks you and I are on the same wavelength here.

I harbour the same feelings and that is why I have been playing at my smaller 62-par. Even on the weekends they usually have many fully open tee times between the hours of 10:30am through about 12:30pm and so there is a whole lot less pressure with the pace of play. I can play a single by myself with no wait. It may partly be due to the fact that the "really good players" might be looking down their noses at it but it's just fine with me.

The funny thing is that I use the driving range at a facility that has two 70s-par courses and I've seen people at the first tee just hit their ball all over the place too. I can almost feel their tension and their mind working against themselves as they address that ball. I'm sure they know how to hit the ball well, but something just seems to get hold of their thoughts and it just gives them the wobbles.

Someone at the office says that he actually plays his best when he has a light beer buzz.

If I had one beer I would be passed out by the 4th tee haha. I wish we had some shorter courses around here like a par 62. We did in Tampa but here the executive courses are just as expensive as the regulation size courses plus my home course is dirt cheap to play right now but it just eats me alive!

Your routine is part of your shot - don't worry about that being a reason for holding people up -- unless you take 14 practice it's fine. Slow play is caused much more by putting bags down in silly places around the green, not paying attention or not watching where your ball goes than a few seconds lining up. Be confident on the course and be sure before you hit - within reason ofc.

If you fall a hole behind just let a group through - it's worth getting a routine sorted.

I don't have a long routine I just like to take a practice swing to be sure I brush the grass but lately I just line up my shot and hit the ball in fear of holding others up.

played 18 today after the AT&T National. I never played the course before and shot a 100 for the 3rd straight round. I'm kinda disappointed I still havn't broken 100 this year. but at least Im consistent.

I played my first 18 after shooting that 97. My 9 hole scores have ranged between 46 and 55 since then.

I shot a 93! 43 on the front and 50 on the back. Hmmm, maybe I can crack 90 after all. I think my game is finally starting to come together.

Dang bro! Way to go! We'll miss you :)

I played my first 18 after shooting that 97. My 9 hole scores have ranged between 46 and 55 since then.

I shot a 93! 43 on the front and 50 on the back. Hmmm, maybe I can crack 90 after all. I think my game is finally starting to come together.

There you go. Once you get into a groove try to remember the good stuff. And don't get down on yourself if the game gets sidetracked a little. That will happen from time to time.

Wow! That is amazing I am so happy for you Congrats Bortass! That must have felt so good when you added up your score.

That's amazing!!! Congrats Bortass, be sure to visit us here every once in a while :)

Congrats Bortass, well played.

I went out today to play just 8 holes after work. I am trying a new technique to rid me of my duck hook that is killing my game.

I hit none.

I can't tell you how good that feels after so long fighting this. Considering this was my first time out playing the new way I was pleased with a 47 on our front 9. It's pretty stiff, tight and lots of water so accuracy is a premium. The main drain on my score is off the tee, when I go bad it's just plain ugly and 3 or 5 off the tee starts to become the norm. Today was very different though, still finding my feet but hit 2 stellar drives and 4 accetable ones, makes the game a touch easier.

I'm going to play on Saturday and have a lesson on Sunday (an all day playing one) to work on my new technique. At last I can see light at the end of the tunnel and I'll let you know how I get on Saturday.

I shot a 93!
Well done Bortass!

I got my official handicap today by passing a practical test. I'm now a 54 hcp. :joy:
Reckon I'll get 50+ stableford points on my next round, hehe.

Congratulations, Bort! You didn't just "break" 100, you plowed right through it with that 93!

Have fun and best of luck as you move up to the "Trying To Break 90" group.

This "moving up" process kind of reminds me of 1st Grade Reading Class. The class was divided into three groups..."Yellow Group" was for the slower readers, "Blue Group" was average, and the "Red Group" was the advanced.

Bortass has finally been promoted to the "Blue Group".

GolferGal,

How did your playing lesson go? I've wanted to take one, but not sure if it worth the extra money.

Thanks guys and gals.

I wish I knew what happened. I've tried to break 100 for 2 years. I finally do it with that 97 a few weeks ago and it's like my game suddenly changed. I'm just swinging the club and having fun but my scores, overall, are low. I felt 0 pressure with that 43 yesterday on the front. All the lessons must have finally clicked.

As for breaking 90 that's my target:)

Grats, bort!

I was supposed to play Wednesday but got into a pretty bad car accident on my way to work (guy t-boned me in my driver's side door). Spent the rest of the day in the ER, tests came back negative for head injury but I had (and still have but to a lesser degree) concussion symptoms. No fun...I want to play! :( Maybe Monday or mid next week.

Anyways, as to hitting to the right, one of my biggest problems used to be a push-right, and I found it seemed to be directly related to standing a little too far away from the ball. My swing path was ok on the backswing, I think, but in order to hit the ball, my downswing takes an unnatural path from inside to outside and pushes the ball right, nearly without fail. One of the things I did to correct that was just to make sure that in my stance, I'm positioned a distance away from the ball where I can put my weight on my heels and still address the ball comfortably. If I'm lined up too far away from the ball, I just can't do it.

As for a slice, well, that's a different story. I can keep that under control with decent consistency if I don't break my right wrist too much (it hinges at the top of my swing but doesn't unhinge by the bottom, opening my clubface) and take a little bit stronger of a grip than neutral.

Grats, bort!

I was supposed to play Wednesday but got into a pretty bad car accident on my way to work (guy t-boned me in my driver's side door). Spent the rest of the day in the ER, tests came back negative for head injury but I had (and still have but to a lesser degree) concussion symptoms. No fun...I want to play! :( Maybe Monday or mid next week.

Anyways, as to hitting to the right, one of my biggest problems used to be a push-right, and I found it seemed to be directly related to standing a little too far away from the ball. My swing path was ok on the backswing, I think, but in order to hit the ball, my downswing takes an unnatural path from inside to outside and pushes the ball right, nearly without fail. One of the things I did to correct that was just to make sure that in my stance, I'm positioned a distance away from the ball where I can put my weight on my heels and still address the ball comfortably. If I'm lined up too far away from the ball, I just can't do it.

As for a slice, well, that's a different story. I can keep that under control with decent consistency if I don't break my right wrist too much (it hinges at the top of my swing but doesn't unhinge by the bottom, opening my clubface) and take a little bit stronger of a grip than neutral.

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad that you're ok :)

GolferGal,

How did your playing lesson go? I've wanted to take one, but not sure if it worth the extra money.

it went pretty well she helped me with my alignment issues on the course as well as a few other major issues I was having on the course that weren't showing up on the range. This didn't cost any extra money which was awesome. I got a set of 3 lessons for $130 for all three and this was just my second of my 3 lessons. So I was thrilled.

Grats, bort!

Oh my goodness! I am so glad you are alright that is so scary.

congrats bort!

GG take your time and do what feels right, if your gonna rush for someone elses sake your never gonna have any fun!

glad to hear your ok bmc, I've had 4 concussuions in my life and they are no fun, take it easy and dont rush back or you will feel worse.

Hi bmckenna,

Glad to hear that you are for the most part okay. I knew a guy who had been in two separate accidents and both times he had been T-boned too, and just like you it was on the driver's side both times! The first time he ended up in the hospital with broken ribs, but he was lucky to come out of it alive.

Crazy stuff with that car accident. Glad to hear you are okay.

Had a breakthrough of sorts today. I went to the range on my lunch break to hit a couple buckets of balls. I broke my rule on no swing tips by watching a couple videos from the David Leadbetter school, and I'm really glad I did.

The video that helped me was a baseball swing drill. Basically, it gets the feeling of turning the shoulders, then releasing and letting the club whip through the ball. I finally know what it feels like to release a club now and hit the ball farther and higher than I ever had. It really just blew me away. Also, I could do it over and over again, which is great.

I tried out my newly shafted Burner and thanks1974's Dymo with the stock shaft. I had okay results with the Dymo and really good results with the Burner. I love the new shaft in it. Again, hitting the ball farther and straighter that I ever have. I'm going to play them both during the weekend to see what results I get with real golf balls and course conditions.

Went to the practice green to work on chipping and putting. Holed a chip using the hinge and hole technique, which was really satisfying. I've been working on it and was glad to see it's getting better. I just can't get my putting stroke back and I'm beginning to place some blame on my putter. I've been rolling some full mallets with offset shafts and seem to get a better roll on the ball. I really want my Seemore to work, but I'm seriously considering selling it. I'm going to pull my Odyssey Rossie off the bench this weekend to see if it works better for me. If it does, I think I have no other choice.

I just got back from the range a little while ago. I worked on my irons because I have been squirting them right. I knew I wasn't turning fully through the shot but man is it hard to make myself do it on the course all the time. I was really jacking my PW today out to 140. Not too sure I like that seeing as how I usually hit it 115-120. I expect it to go back to normal on the course, hope so anyways.

I kind of had the same thought. I was trying to figure out what my 150 club was going to be if I continue to hit the ball this well. Kind of a good problem to have ;)

Well, yesterday was the day for me to break 100 This was my first full round in more than a month, and I suspected that my game had improved significantly since I attended golf school a couple of weeks ago, but now it is official. I shot a 93 at Dimmick Hill Golf Course near the Binghamton, NY airport. It is a pretty open course, and only a par 69, but I am still happy with my score. I could have easily broke 90 if not for a couple of lost balls and two or three duffed shots. Now my goal is to break 100 at my home course which is much less open and more difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back