Trying to Break 80 Club

Tidy 76 today (39/37 +4) ... first time breaking 80 in like a year and a half, maybe longer. Had 2 eagle putts which isn’t normal for me.

After 14 putts and no 3-putts on the front, I of course had to have three 3-putts on the back including the par 5 18th. Doh!

Congrats Shane! Maybe it had something to do w/ your appearance on the Callaway podcast??!!

Congrats Shane! Maybe it had something to do w/ your appearance on the Callaway podcast??!!
Makes sense to me! Thanks, man!

87 over the weekend. Went to pro shop to join waiting list at 6:53am, was told I could hop on the 7am tee time if I ran, which I did without warming up (unless you count the 100 yd dash from my car to the 1st tee). Proceeded to go +9 over the first 4 holes but managed to ride the ship, +6 for the last 14 holes. Pretty happy with how the round ended. I have an actual tee time next Friday morning so I should have a good warm up session beforehand =)

Another attempt today with temps in the 40’s, and a swing that took the hand basket to the bad place 3 rounds ago. 89 Monday with some improvement. We’ll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not an exceptional day, 44/43=87. Putting was dead on @28 for the round on lightning fast greens. Too many full swing errors, for example, on 7, and routine uphill par 5, tried to drive the ball into the ground with the driver. Caught just enough to drive the tee flush with ground and move ball 5 yards. Then pop up a 3 wood 100 yards. Happens. Did salvage a double with a one putt. Couple of other holes with similar issues. Oh, well, putting was good

It's been a while since I've posted in here. I'll be back eventually. Played 9 on Tuesday and it was a roller coaster. I can't expect much, though, as I haven't played much lately. I think I've played 3x this month for 45 holes total. I'm working this winter on tightening up the swing and getting rid of my across the line swing. Hopefully, plenty of range work and a couple lesson this winter will prove fruitful next spring/summer/autumn.

Well... didn't make it this year into the sub-80 club. Best rounds of the year were an 89 and an 86.

I did have a handful of 9 hole rounds in the 30s, best being a +1 36 at my home club - a roller-coaster of a round that went 2 bogeys, 3 pars, a double and 3 birdies.

It feels a little early to have goals for 2020 already, but I think I can say that I'd like to get the handicap back to single digits and get under 80 again. Right now, it's cold out, the fireplace feels nice warming my feet, and I need to focus on resting my left thumb for a month or two in the hopes that the tendinitis subsides.

Well... didn't make it this year into the sub-80 club. Best rounds of the year were an 89 and an 86.

I did have a handful of 9 hole rounds in the 30s, best being a +1 36 at my home club - a roller-coaster of a round that went 2 bogeys, 3 pars, a double and 3 birdies.

It feels a little early to have goals for 2020 already, but I think I can say that I'd like to get the handicap back to single digits and get under 80 again. Right now, it's cold out, the fireplace feels nice warming my feet, and I need to focus on resting my left thumb for a month or two in the hopes that the tendinitis subsides.
I really think you will do it, you are right there just a few strokes away. You will clean up those little areas costing you a few strokes and be posting 70's in here consistently next season.

I really think you will do it, you are right there just a few strokes away. You will clean up those little areas costing you a few strokes and be posting 70's in here consistently next season.

I appreciate the encouragement @Snickerdog. I'll get there. I need to accommodate my nagging injuries; especially the left thumb issue as it impacts the grip.

Just noticed your location - Kansas? We should tee it up sometime. I am just on the IL side of the river across from St. Louis.

I appreciate the encouragement @Snickerdog. I'll get there. I need to accommodate my nagging injuries; especially the left thumb issue as it impacts the grip.

Just noticed your location - Kansas? We should tee it up sometime. I am just on the IL side of the river across from St. Louis.
Quite a few THPers between here and there, we need to have some kind of get together somewhere.
Hope that thumb gets healed up and stops causing issues.

86 today with 6 pars and only 2 doubles. Starting to get the swing back a bit and feeling good.

86 today with 6 pars and only 2 doubles. Starting to get the swing back a bit and feeling good.
Awesome!!!!! You'll be single digits next year!!

Nice. This thread should give some strong motivation. It will all come back.

I was +3 on the front nine and +2 though 15 (+5 total) until my cart flipped this afternoon. I'll never know how that round would have ended up, but it sure felt like it was starting to click.

Hopefully we can do this in our 2 man scramble team today.

Played well enough to do it yesterday but as usual, it’s always something. Had an easy greenside bunker shot that I decided to make hard by going for a tucked away pin rather than just popping in somewhere on the green...caught it thin and sent about 50 yards into the woods...triple. Three holes later I’m 80 yards out for my second shot on a par four in the middle of the fairway with a back pin and a ton of green to work with...hooded it over the back of the green up on a little hill. No chance...double. Missed a four footer and three footer on the last two holes after putting great all day. I‘m close but my 50-100 yard wedge game needs work and I HAVE to learn to play for bogie when the circumstances dictate. Too often I let an easy bogie turn in to a double or triple and you’re not breaking 80 with a few of those on your card.

I‘m close but my 50-100 yard wedge game needs work and I HAVE to learn to play for bogie when the circumstances dictate. Too often I let an easy bogie turn in to a double or triple and you’re not breaking 80 with a few of those on your card.

You’re getting close. My one foray into the 70’s, I went for the middle of every green and let the putter work.

Spent a couple hours playing on a sim this afternoon so not entirely sure it counts as they are set to auto-putt with gimmies inside 8ft

Played 18 holes at Bellerive and shot 76, then followed that up with 18 at Bethesda and shot 79

Little surprised considering it has been over a month since I last picked up a club

41/42 for an 83 today! 8 pars,1 birdie,3 doubles and the rest bogeys. Probably one of the best rounds I have ever played on a tough course.

41/42 for an 83 today! 8 pars,1 birdie,3 doubles and the rest bogeys. Probably one of the best rounds I have ever played on a tough course.
Great round!!!! You will be posting scores in the 70's a lot very soon. (y)

Back