Trying to Break 80 Club

Finally did it. 79 last Saturday but took a long gimmie putt on the last hole so didn't feel right. Did it again this weekend (79) and should have gone lower. Hoping to keep improving!
Good for you, keep it going.

Shot a 76 today at San Clemente Municipal Golf Course with a hole out eagle from 148 yards. 36 on the front, 40 on the back. Put the new odyssey triple track ten in the bag and can't say I love it but I'm committing to it for a month. If you're ever in the area, this course is an absolute gem.

37/41 for 78 today. Iron play and chipping/pitching is working well. Tee game stayed in play but plenty of room for improvement. Had 4 three putts but made the GIR just need some long distance work with the putter.

Will try again tomorrow!

42/36=78 today. FIR=11/14 GIR=9/18 Putts=31 I only hit 3 GIR on the front 9 and that just put me in a bad spot. Settled down on the back and hit 6 of 9 with 2 birdies.

39-47 for 86 today! I had a great round going till 2 different tee shots bit me. I had two 8's in this round on the back. I got my butt kicked out of a massive bunker it took me 4 shots. I did settle down and put a nice streak of 4 pars in towards the end. I did have my first eagle ever today after a great drive! On my pitch shot my ball actually hit the flag stick and dropped to about 2 feet! Will be working on the bunker play asap and will continue with the rest!
sewalio1.PNG

39-47 for 86 today! I had a great round going till 2 different tee shots bit me. I had two 8's in this round on the back. I got my butt kicked out of a massive bunker it took me 4 shots. I did settle down and put a nice streak of 4 pars in towards the end. I did have my first eagle ever today after a great drive! On my pitch shot my ball actually hit the flag stick and dropped to about 2 feet! Will be working on the bunker play asap and will continue with the rest!
View attachment 8951040
Congrats on the Eagle!!!!

I too finally broke out of the 80s! I posted a pb 76 on Father's day. It just happened to be the 4 year anniversary of my hole in one too. Maybe I just need to make sure and play on June 21 every year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I too finally broke out of the 80s! I posted a pb 76 on Father's day. It just happened to be the 4 year anniversary of my hole in one too. Maybe I just need to make sure and play on June 21 every year :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Congrats!!!! That is awesome.

View attachment 8951040
Sick drive

Well, I did it today, But I don't think it counts because it was a par 70 course. Still, was very happy with my 10 pars, 1 birdie. Just wish I didn't have the two double bogies.

Well, I did it today, But I don't think it counts because it was a par 70 course. Still, was very happy with my 10 pars, 1 birdie. Just wish I didn't have the two double bogies.

Why wouldn't it count? You still shot <80, right?

Sounds like a plan! Congrats!

Why wouldn't it count? You still shot
I guess so. Still had to overcome the mental challenge of not screwing up down the stretch. But a +9 on a 72 wouldn't have done it. But I'm in the right zip code.

Last edited:
Hey, I shot a 79 on a par 70 last week. You'd better believe I counted it! :cool:

I guess so. Still had to overcome the mental challenge of not screwing up down the stretch. But a +9 on a 72 wouldn't have done it. But I'm in the right zip code.

Only one of my 70's rounds has been on a par 70. I've done it twice on 71's and 3 times on 72's. Par is only one measure of a course and it's rather arbitrary. I'd look to rating/slope/differentials to compare rounds before I'd go against par.

You broke 80. That's what matters.

Only one of my 70's rounds has been on a par 70. I've done it twice on 71's and 3 times on 72's. Par is only one measure of a course and it's rather arbitrary. I'd look to rating/slope/differentials to compare rounds before I'd go against par.

You broke 80. That's what matters.
Yeah, you're right. It was a relatively easy course. I hit an 82 at Pound Ridge which had a slope of 145, which was one of my best rounds, just couldn't putt.

This course was only a slope of 119, but you're right, a 79 is a 79.

I'm just happy I'm at the point where I'm going to be near 80 more and more often.

Had a chance to break 80 today on a tough course, was playing great most of the round then I pull hooked a ball out of bounds on the par 3 17th hole with my 9 iron from 147 yards out. Going to be thinking about that shot for a few days but still happy with the 81 I shot.

Got out a couple more time this past week. Seems like I couldn't find a fairway to save my life, hitting only 2/14 a couple times. Yesterday I played a tough course (Chaska Town Course, where the US Am has been held before) and went 4 over on the front, but the back got me with a 10 over. I continue to learn new things, and just need to eliminate my mental mistakes, and not try to hit every GIR, especially when I am hitting from a fairway bunker or the ball way above/below my feet.

Last edited:
Shot a 77 yesterday from the middle tees (three birdies). The day before from the same tees I shot an 85. And the day before that I shot a 73 from the senior tees (no birdies, 15 pars and 3 bogeys). All par 70. The senior tees are better suited for my game as I am a senior and don't hit the ball all that far. Breaking 80 from the middle tees was special then. I putted really well and got up and down a number of times. A few of the par 4's I have to lay up on, and play them as par 5's.

41 in league last night. Feeling good. Wedge play needs work.

85 on a pretty tough par 71 course, 72/138. Not sure what happened to my tee game but only hit 1/14 FIR but most were close to the fairway. Weird thing lately is that I'm hitting my irons really well, but find a way to screw up par 3's. Doubled 2 of them yesterday

83 yesterday on a par 71. 40/43. Crapped the bed on a hole that always gets me, and took a double. Needed to par out from 15 to break 80, and proceeded to go bogey, par, triple, par. The triple was on a par 5 where I smoked my drive, but it somehow ended up underneath a tree. After punching out, I had 204 to the flag and proceeded to put my ball into the creek in front of the green, kind of gave up after that.
Going to play the same course today and take a cart, as it is 95 degrees out.

40/40-80 today at Annbriar today. Best round since 2016. Played with one ball all day.

1 birdie, 9 pars, 7 bogeys, 1 double. 28 total putts with zero 3 putts.

It was super hot and humid so we played from the white (middle) tees at 5900 yards since we knew we’d get tired of long approach shots in the heat. I really enjoyed playing from the middle tees and will do more of that in the future.

Crazy hot and sticky; ugh. Drank 6 bottles of water and never once had to perform a tree check.

Back