Trying To Break 90 Club

Trying To Break 90 Club

Several years ago I was a regular in the breaking 90 club but haven't gotten there yet this year or last year.

Last round I shot a 94 with 9 putts above my season average (32). Hopefully my iron striking stays the same and I get to redeem myself on the greens.

I'll take my membership card in hopes of getting to upgrade it in the near future!

Went out today and shot a 47 fron and 46 back. Was having some success with the 4 wood and driver today. Irons were ok...I am trying to more consistent with my ball placement. Found out on several shots I was playing ball too far forward. Moved it back an inch or so and was compressing the ball much better. Of course I finally figured that out on the last three holes. That is something I have to remember each time I set up. It just seems like there is so much to "try" and remember. Perhaps that is what practice is for :)

Also had a couple penalties. Lost one ball in the water b/c of poor set up. Lost another in water off a drive, took the penalty and saved bogey on the par 5. I felt good about that one. Going to try to get in a lesson this week. Had a couple of good shots close to the pin from about 115 out with the hard PW and another from same distance with a soft 9i from a difficult lie below my feet. Chipping was going very well today and saved my butt several times. Also, putting from teh fringe was going better than from on the green. Hey, I guess with this game you have take what it givs on any given day.

Today was first day I had walked in quite some time and I was sucking wind most of the back nine. Man, I got to walk more.

GOLFERS IL-LOGICAL Thought of the day: Walkers should get 2 shots per side taken off their score. :act-up:

I broke it. :)

Played mid tees because it was league night, so only 6100 yds, but finished with an 88.

Nothing against you guys in the club, but I want to stay out of it! :banana:

congrtats. i just broke 100 hundred today and shot 46-44 so almost just skipped this club altoghether. i had been hitting between 102-104 for my last 6 rounds

I still havent broken 90 on a regular course. I shot a 90 twice last September but the closest I have come since then is a 94 I think.

I just got an email from my handicapping service.

My official handicap is now 17.8- but I still haven't broken 90 in the past 2 years. That means I am due for it soon, right?

Unfortunately I can't be in your club as I've been playing for 15 years now and am Trying to break 80. Just wanted to add my little 2 cents here. I have a game plan every time I play.....5 on every hole or better. It allows me bogeys and on par 4s and even doubles on 3s. So when I make par on par 3s and 4s I'm ahead of my worst case scenario - 90.
I end up usually 82-86 on my average round....so it works for me.

I went out today with my new SeeMore putter and shot an 86! So that makes twice this year to break into the 80's. Now if I can just stop the seesawing back and forth. I shot a 101 on Sunday at a different course.

I have a round this Friday, and with the new swing Andy has me grooving, I can feel good things are going to happen. Finding alot of fairways and greens, and no blow up holes, that is what needs to happen. Hopefully I can post on Friday my first 80s round.

Shot an 89 today. 5 Pars, no birdies. Should have had 3 birdies on putts within 5 feet.

After 9 rounds this year my average is 94. Using the GolfLogix on the iPhone is very helpful measuring my success and areas that need improvement.

I want to get into the break 80 club.

Time to bring this thread back to life. Yesterday, after working all night and not sleeping I went out for 18 in the mornig. Played a really good front 9 that ended with a bird on the final hole. Almost rolled my 3H onto the green for a chance at eagle but came up a little short. Still got the birdie after the Niblick got me close enough for the bird. Came away from the front with a 42. I really had to scramble on the back as I was having trouble keeping the ball in play. Lost a lot of approach shots to the woods and missed all the par 3's but still managed a 47 for the back. That gave me the 89 and finally broke 90!! Looking back at my score card I had no 3 putts which amazed me. That had a lot to do with bad approach shots more then anything. NO matter Im happy with the outcome!

congrats OEM! see, all it took was the Hoff avatar

Time to bring this thread back to life. Yesterday, after working all night and not sleeping I went out for 18 in the mornig. Played a really good front 9 that ended with a bird on the final hole. Almost rolled my 3H onto the green for a chance at eagle but came up a little short. Still got the birdie after the Niblick got me close enough for the bird. Came away from the front with a 42. I really had to scramble on the back as I was having trouble keeping the ball in play. Lost a lot of approach shots to the woods and missed all the par 3's but still managed a 47 for the back. That gave me the 89 and finally broke 90!! Looking back at my score card I had no 3 putts which amazed me. That had a lot to do with bad approach shots more then anything. NO matter Im happy with the outcome!

congrats OEM!!!

Congrats again OEM!

Big Congrats OEM!

OT: You don't happen to be German do you? They love The Hoff.

lol thanks Seth. I think I have some German but really its just that picture of The Hoff is Epic!

I'm just trying to NOT look at the Hoff avatar! My eyes hurt every time! hehe

Congrats on your round OEM! Hope there are more good ones to come.

Well a week ago I shot a 44, and a 42 on 9 holes. Got to dark to play the back 9, but I woulda liked to think that was my chance to get into the mid 80's. One will never know.

Sine then, I have lost my swing, and haven't even tried golfing in about 5 days(which is long for me). The last time I went out, I shot a 56 on 9 holes.

Last edited:
Take some time and get back out there! You can do it man.
Well a week ago I shot a 44, and a 42 on 9 holes. Got to dark to play the back 9, but I woulda liked to that was my chance to gt into the mid 80's. One will never know.

Sine then, I have lost my swing, and haven't even tried golfing in about 5 days(which is long for me). The last time I went out, I shot a 56 on 9 holes.

Congrats OEM!!

I see that several others have broken the 90 mark. I hope to do it again soon. My last few rounds have been all been 90 - 95's.

Thanks SMG! Good luck with breaking 90 again. Im going out again Tuesday and hope to go low again.

Back