UFC/Mixed Martial Arts

I was wondering the same thing. I can't see him being scared to fight in a heavier class. What he loses in size he should gain in speed and accuracy. The 185 class seems really stagnant right now.

Well he has already proved he can hang at 205. I seriously wonder if he is scared of actual competition. He has really never been tested in the ufc. His only losses were in Pride and that was a long time ago. He said he was going to retire after this year so maybe he is just coasting now so he can go out on top.

I didn't get to watch the Aldo/Faber fight as it was on PPV, but I read and heard about it, wow, Faber def. doesn't give up without a fight. I heard he was pretty beat up. I still like him though :)

Faber got owned in that fight. He may have gone the distance but Aldo clearly outclassed him. He is a big draw and a great fighter but it just shows that wec is the minor league. Faber lost 3 of his last 5 fights and all 3 losses were title fights. He never should have been given that title shot sat night. It was a great card overall but as I previously said...it should not have been a ppv.

i've been a big fan of mma for a while and i've been reading through the thread. good points from everyone. anderson silva is dominant at middleweight b/c let's be honest, it's the weakest division in the UFC. had hendo stuck around he may have challenged him. hendo doesn't get caught often and silva caught him, it happens. bisping's overrated, and who else is there in that division? it's the weakest by far.

why silva doesn't step up to fight permanently in 205 i don't know. he would be challenged in that division by a number of fighters and of course he won't fight machida, b/c he'd probably lose. there is far to many good strikers in 205 to not challenge silva.

what about bj penn getting dunked by edgar? i've always like bj b/c he's not afraid to fight anyone. i'd like to see him fight gsp one more time. gsp might be the best fighter i've ever seen.

The thing I like about GSP is that he is always getting better. He's been caught a few times, but seems to learn from his mistakes and improve his game.

I didn't see the Penn/Edgar fight, but I've heard a lot of people say that it was pretty close.

The thing I like about GSP is that he is always getting better. He's been caught a few times, but seems to learn from his mistakes and improve his game.

He definitely showed this quality with is matches with Matt Hughes. I never thought the day would come when someone would dominate Hughes more than once.

i've been a big fan of mma for a while and i've been reading through the thread. good points from everyone. anderson silva is dominant at middleweight b/c let's be honest, it's the weakest division in the UFC. had hendo stuck around he may have challenged him. hendo doesn't get caught often and silva caught him, it happens. bisping's overrated, and who else is there in that division? it's the weakest by far.

why silva doesn't step up to fight permanently in 205 i don't know. he would be challenged in that division by a number of fighters and of course he won't fight machida, b/c he'd probably lose. there is far to many good strikers in 205 to not challenge silva.

what about bj penn getting dunked by edgar? i've always like bj b/c he's not afraid to fight anyone. i'd like to see him fight gsp one more time. gsp might be the best fighter i've ever seen.

I hope BJ whoops Edgar next time. As great as Frankie is I cant stand watching his fights. I didnt buy this card because I feared I would see more of the same. Its nto that he is boring, I just cant shake the first few fights i saw of him. I think you bring up some great points about Anderson and the MW division. But just the way he dominates I dont see anyone really hurting him at 205 (except Machida). Guys like Rua, Evans, Rampage.. the strikers of that division (I know there are others) would be perfect oponents for the Spider. They are aggressive but I believe the Spider is so accurate with his punches.. LIGHTS OUT. I can see others opinions differing but I have not seen anyone in MMA so accurate except maybe Machida. A guy like Jon Jones would be a good fight. A good wrestlers with explosive power in his strikes. I think though people forget how strong Silva is. His training hits muscles Im sure some fighters have never seen. The guy is just on another level.

I dontl ike GSP's fights. Lol. I think Silva would knock him out. I would love to see GSP at a higher weight class than he is now before fighting Silva. Not saying he would lose but I think for him it would help calibrate his weight and conditioning to at least get one fight in there.

Penn/Edgar was really, really close. I felt Edgar won but it easily could have gone the other way. It looked like something was wrong with Penn. He didn't look himself at all. I thought maybe he would make excuses for losing (Remember the vaseline controversy against GSP) but he took the defeat like a man. I respect his skills but have never liked Penn. I was shocked he lost to Edgar. I expect him to regain the title in the rematch. But he just can't hang with GSP. Penn needs to stay at 155.

Silva won't fight Machida because they are friends and also a fellow brazilian. Rumor is thats why his fights with Leites and Maia were so boring because he refuses to finish a brazilian fighter in the ring out of respect. Hendo is past his prime, as was shown in the last strikeforce card where he was soundly defeated by Jake Shields. Next fight for Silva will be Chael Sonnen at ufc 117. Sonnen lost to Damian Maia though so if you use mma math then Silva will likely crush him too. Or at least coast to another easy decision win. He just really needs to move to 205. I think he would have trouble with Shogun Rua because of his aggressive style. Silva was supposed to retire after his contract was up this year which would be 2 more fights. But now he is saying he wants the biggest fight ufc can make which to me would be against GSP. But I don't see him cutting to get down to 170.

i think that we all would love to see gsp vs. silva, but i don't think that gsp wants any part of it. he could easily move up to 185 b/c he has the size for it. i don't know if silva could get down to 170 or not. gsp is solid, but i much preferred watching him when he first came onto the scene. i think it's bs that silva won't finish a fellow brazillian or fight one, in machida.

as far as the lightweight division goes, there's no doubt that BJ is the man. the edgar fight was close and i would agree that something just was missing from BJ. the problem with him is that you'll never know which fighter might show up. anyway, i grew up with spencer fisher so i've always been a big fan of his. that guy was wild growing up, trust me, he was destined to be exactly where he is in this sport.

i think that we all would love to see gsp vs. silva, but i don't think that gsp wants any part of it. he could easily move up to 185 b/c he has the size for it. i don't know if silva could get down to 170 or not. gsp is solid, but i much preferred watching him when he first came onto the scene. i think it's bs that silva won't finish a fellow brazillian or fight one, in machida.
QUOTE]

I think thats what they are gunning for. It would be much easier for GSP to move up. I don't think we will see it either. Especially if Anderson isnt going to sign a contract extension. Dana White does not like letting his fighters get big fights if their contract is up. He made a comment how bad Strikeforce dealt with Jake SHields. Anyone else find Jon Jones a beast???

yeah, jones is going to be very good. he has size, speed, and a tremendous skill set. i can't wait to see him fight again. he's like a ninja man.

Yeah... lol. I really laughed out loud. They should bring in some of the Ninja's from that Ninja game show to the UFC. Allow the use of weapons too... One day.......

maybe Shogun Rua's big brother, Ninja Rua will come to the ufc...

They have some of the best nicknames in the sport. My favorite is still Rampage.

Best ever is The Ax Murderer...

Best ever is The Ax Murderer...
That is such a good one!!!!!!! And fitting too.. lol. Even with his surgery guy is still scary. What's really funny though, in the interviews he is such a nice guy.

yeah he earned that one from his days back in Pride. yes, he does look less like an Orc now but he is still scary looking. A lot of the fighters seem like nice guys until the bell rings and they go to work...always makes me laugh how they beat the crap out of each other then hug and smile when the fight is over. Dudes are just modern day versions of roman gladiators.

oh and Jake Shields should be in the ufc shortly. So look for a huge showdown between him and GSP!!

Yeah.... I liked the Pride days... At least there was some competition with promotions. I know everyone points to strikeforce but they have a long ways to go.

That should be an interesting fight.... GSP has been so dominant lately. But Shields has the wrestling to be able to hang. Could be a very good fight.

I think it will be a good fight, but I don't think it will be close. Shields is good, but not GSP good. I don't think he has the stand-up or the strength to hang.

I've been a ufc since the very early days but man...nothing was better than Pride. Strikeforce is basically a low-budget 2nd rate promotion. They have a few good things going for them but if you watched their last event on cbs the other week...it was just BORING. Horrible production and the commentators are worse than watching pro wrestling. About the only thing they have going on that occasionally attracts my attention is Fedor. I pray for the biggest fight of all time that would be Fedor vs Lesnar but it will never happen...

I've been a ufc since the very early days but man...nothing was better than Pride. Strikeforce is basically a low-budget 2nd rate promotion. They have a few good things going for them but if you watched their last event on cbs the other week...it was just BORING. Horrible production and the commentators are worse than watching pro wrestling. About the only thing they have going on that occasionally attracts my attention is Fedor. I pray for the biggest fight of all time that would be Fedor vs Lesnar but it will never happen...

Have to love the Japanese rules. It seems like some the old Pride fighters have had problems adjusting to the cage and the wrestling-heavy UFC. That and many of them have aged since they moved over.

I would love to see Fedor/Lesnar too. If DW was the fan he claims to be he would make this happen.

I didnt watch it. Im glad I didn't. There isn't a place in MMA for the brawl afterwards and it really puts MMA back a few. I hope to see Fedor fight Lesnar too, but you're right it wont happen. Fedors management is terrible. People want to blame the UFC but if you look at the demands (mostly co promotion) its insane.

I think Shields is undervalued. I know GSP is a freak but he is mortal. Just not in his last few fights lol. GSP's standup is awesome. But lately he has been relying on his wrestling. Not to say its taken its toll on his striking but I think he will stand with Shields, and probably get Shields with a TKO. Shields will definitely be a step up in competition from what GSP has faced (and his competition isnt bad).

Have to love the Japanese rules. It seems like some the old Pride fighters have had problems adjusting to the cage and the wrestling-heavy UFC. That and many of them have aged since they moved over.

I would love to see Fedor/Lesnar too. If DW was the fan he claims to be he would make this happen.

No doubt!!!!!! Soccer kicks and stomps... Some of my fav.... But absolutely brutal.

I didnt watch it. Im glad I didn't. There isn't a place in MMA for the brawl afterwards and it really puts MMA back a few. I hope to see Fedor fight Lesnar too, but you're right it wont happen. Fedors management is terrible. People want to blame the UFC but if you look at the demands (mostly co promotion) its insane.

I wonder how much ufc is to blame. Supposedly Fedor wants more money ($1 million per fight) than Dana is willing to give him. But the real issue is Dana won't let him continue to compete in Sambo while contracted in the ufc. stupid. or maybe its Dana's way of making sure his golden boy brock doesn't get beat by The Last Emperor...

I wonder how much ufc is to blame. Supposedly Fedor wants more money ($1 million per fight) than Dana is willing to give him. But the real issue is Dana won't let him continue to compete in Sambo while contracted in the ufc. stupid. or maybe its Dana's way of making sure his golden boy brock doesn't get beat by The Last Emperor...
I dont think money is the issue.. from what I remember reading. Dana said (this is off memory from an article on an mma site) that he conceeded the Sambo tourney's. It's the fact M1 global wants co promotion (the whole show) with the fight. So UFC puts ont he show and shells out the expenses. M1 in turns get to co-promote the show. They get a lot of the profits and advertising with the UFC. Now I dont have specifics and I totally understand if people want them but frankly I get the info from yahoo and mma websites lol. If all that is true, then I don't believe we will see Fedor in the UFC.

I don't see anything wrong with UFC's stance if that is true. Why would they fork over all of that for 1 fighter? Dana and the Fertitas worked hard to bring the UFC out of trouble and M1 wants to leach off of it because they have Fedor? M1 cant even hold its own overseas. Fedor is M1. I dont know. I would love to see Fedor in the UFC. I think the fight would be ok but who knows. I think Fedor would win, maybe not dominate but he would find a way. Its just been built up so much I dont think it could possibly live up to expectations. Fedor can take a lot of abuse and I see Brock dishing it but Fedor ultimately winning. I dont have a favorable opinion of Dana White. I really dont. But I can see his point with the Fedor situation. The fans lose and so does Fedor but the UFC lives on.

well said. I havn't kept up with the drama lately. I have just came to the conclusion that Fedor will never step into the octogan. And I'm fine with that. I almost prefer it. keeps Fedors mystique alive. I would match rather remember him from his pride days of massacre. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires in the next 1-2 years. Now his little brother...that's another story...did you catch the video of Aleksandr seemingly knocking a guy out with a jab that didn't even land?! Dude is ruthless. He kills bears with his bare hands! lol.

well said. I havn't kept up with the drama lately. I have just came to the conclusion that Fedor will never step into the octogan. And I'm fine with that. I almost prefer it. keeps Fedors mystique alive. I would match rather remember him from his pride days of massacre. I wouldn't be surprised if he retires in the next 1-2 years. Now his little brother...that's another story...did you catch the video of Aleksandr seemingly knocking a guy out with a jab that didn't even land?! Dude is ruthless. He kills bears with his bare hands! lol.
Lol... Im gonna have to check it out. He is nuts. That dude is not sane.

I love Fedor's style to be honest. I never question the man himself because he fights anyone. I think you're dead on with your retirement prediction.

Back