Ugh....broke a window

But think of the precision those cobra clubs have. I’m picking off windows from several feet away!
Totally fair. I mean who wouldn’t love to see that display of accuracy and marksmanship while getting to break stuff? Makes me want to go home and get out my cobras and aim at my own windows!

Totally fair. I mean who wouldn’t love to see that display of accuracy and marksmanship while getting to break stuff? Makes me want to go home and get out my cobras and aim at my own windows!
I approve of all of this. Record it, post it online, and let social media algorithms help you create wealth.

Big Break in action on the course. Challenge your entire group!

I'm not going to argue one way or another but either we've had this talk before or my buddies have had this talk and it went a little something like this.

If you did it on purpose you need to pay.
If you did it on accident the course is liable if the house was there first or the homeowner if the course was there first.

At least that's how I remember the conversation going.
This sounds about right. About 20 years ago my co-worker's brother was taken to small claims by a homeowner when the glass on his sliding glass door was broken by a wayward tee shot. The judge ruled in favor of the golfer because the house was built next to an existing golf course. He said the homeowner assumes responsibility because he should reasonably expect this to happen when you choose to live next to a golf course. Now if the house was there first I'm not sure what the ruling would have been.

Of course this could have all been avoided if the golfer told the homeowner "It was a guy in a yellow shirt. I saw him running in that direction." :cool:

Man, this thread took off. Cost is driving some of the difference in opinion. I mean, if you hit an errant ball and it broke a little kids $10 toy, I'd assume everyone wouldn't hesitate to offer to pay for a replacement....or I guess you could tell the kid tough luck, your parents shouldn't have bought a house on the golf course. If the cost is really high, there probably comes a point in which you probably can't afford to cover the whole thing or even the full deductible (some deductibles are pretty darn high), but I'd think offering something / what you can afford is a nice gesture.

If I put myself in the other person's shoes, I probably wouldn't expect anything as I'd chalk it up to buying a house on the course, but it sure would be nice if they offered even something small to help out. Even if it were a couple hundred on a couple thousand $ repair, it would be a nice gesture.

Wow, I should have added a poll to this thread. I really didn't expect this level of conversation to be honest. I find it quite intriguing though that the responses appear to be close to 50/50 on financial liability.

In other news, this course was built in 1926. Yeah, 1926. All the house(s) came much later that the initial course. Also, no HOA, just privately owned homes.

Here's the hole in question with the house in the red circle:

1706657478588.png

ETA:
Finally found a good view from the tee box. You can see how much of a valley it is on this hole.
1706657664609.png

Reactions: JB
I understand everyone trying to make analogies involving automobiles, but I just don't know that I totally agree with them. The assumed risk of sitting your house on the golf course is still just asking for your house to be hit. I do think there are important situations to avoid with automobiles as well and I'd be fine with some assumed risk in some of that too. I do not wedge my car into super tight parking spaces because I'm asking for a door ding. I can park at the back of a parking lot where it's wider and avoid that.

At some point assumed risk has to come into play.

If it's in the rules of a gun range, can a person take their family out for a picnic in the middle of the targets and just hold the shooters responsible when they get hit? Like you've got to draw the line somewhere...

And to me that line starts with some responsibility from the buyer if they've chosen to live on a golf course. I just can't buy the golfer is liable 100% of the time.

Hell if I had my way their would never be a house built on a golf course. I understand why it's done, MONEY, looks great, it's a status symbol to be one but at the end of the day it's a super high risky buy. That luxury comes with a high risk. It comes with consequences, It's very clear what is going to happen to your house if your 180-220 yards out on a par 5. The buyer has full control not to put themselves in that situation.

Wow, I should have added a poll to this thread. I really didn't expect this level of conversation to be honest. I find it quite intriguing though that the responses appear to be close to 50/50 on financial liability.

In other news, this course was built in 1926. Yeah, 1926. All the house(s) came much later that the initial course. Also, no HOA, just privately owned homes.

View attachment 9239543

ETA:
Finally found a good view from the tee box. You can see how much of a valley it is on this hole.
View attachment 9239545
man, that's TIGHT!

I suspect this isn't the first debate on a broken window at that place.

Man, those houses look pretty close to the course. I would never buy a house that close to the course for a few reasons, this example being one of them.

Do the right & just thing, pay for the window. You didn't mean to do it, it was an accident & you're most likely not legally bound to do it but the decent thing to do is fix it.

Hmm. One might argue that it's an assumed risk a GOLFER takes on for playing a course like that! :D Somebody is hitting houses every day!

If I break someone’s window I’m going to fix it, but I’m also going choose how to fix it. My wife’s son kicked a ball over the fence and broke the neighbor’s window when we were first dating. Of course we offered to pay for it. The lady brought us an estimate from someone for like 800$. It was a cheap aluminum single Payne 1/16 inch thick glass. I took a measurement, went to delta glass down the street, bought the piece of glass and fixed it myself for like 40$.

View attachment 9239543

ETA:
View attachment 9239545
Not gonna lie, I really hate courses like this. From the looks of this, it doesn't take a bad miss to be OB. A slight miss with driver and it looks like you're hitting a house. I'm still in the camp of paying for the window, but I also probably wouldn't play this course more than once. I don't need that stress in my life. lol

View attachment 9239543

ETA:
View attachment 9239545
Good Lord, that fairway looks like a ribbon.

I hate when houses are this close, it gives me the shakes for exactly the reasons discussed in the thread.

I would certainly offer to pay, but I'd probably avoid that course in the future unless it was one of my only choices.

This is why my index is lower than most guys. Because at the end of the day, i can play that hole stress-free, knowing i will never compensate anyone for damage i cause.

They say golf is played between the ears. Being heartless can be a big advantage!

I've only hit one house to my knowledge. Watched it hook into the sliding glass door under their deck and then heard two more impacts so I assumed the worst as I went up to the fence to see what the owner needed for compensation. Thankfully nothing damaged.

Points made about homes built on existing courses remind me of a local one I play a few times a year. No earthly idea why someone just built a huge home on the inside turn on a short downhill DLL P4. The line from the white tees to the center of the green crosses directly over their house it's even worse from further back. It's a drivable P4 from a substantially elevated tee. They have kids too? Maybe they got that lot for next to nothing? Maybe they wanted to collect a million golf balls before they get nerfed? IDK?

ighouse.PNG

Last edited:
If everything with assumed risk came with cost and no fault, most people would never drive a car.
I think reckless driving on a golf course is a little bit different than reckless driving on a road LOL! Its kind of like part of the game

I must be indecent then. Agree to disagree
If you called yourself indecent what are we disagreeing on? 🤣

You do you. I understand that not everyone will agree and not everyone has the same values etc - it’s all good

That person who put that giant net up knows a thing or two. It looks terrible, but that house isn’t getting wrecked

Hey, wanted to come back to this topic and provide and update:

The owner finally reached out and asked that I pay $300 to help pay their deductible. No problem as I did hit the wayward ball. I Venmo'd them the money and it's case closed!

My wallet is a bit lighter, but my conscious is clear by doing the right thing!

Hit 'em straight!

You weren't negligent so I wouldn't think you are responsible.
What legal principle says that ? Negligence is often a very important factor in a criminal case, but I don't understand how it would be applied in this situation.

What legal principle says that ? Negligence is often a very important factor in a criminal case, but I don't understand how it would be applied in this situation.
Kinda varies by state but in this case he wasn’t being negligent because he did not intend to hit the house, he was not aiming at the house as well as he was not doing anything to cause the damage directly beyond playing a game intended for the course.

Negligence is almost a catch all in law - the law leave a lot of grey to work within. It’s not black and white and officers as well as judges know this.

Hey, wanted to come back to this topic and provide and update:

The owner finally reached out and asked that I pay $300 to help pay their deductible. No problem as I did hit the wayward ball. I Venmo'd them the money and it's case closed!

My wallet is a bit lighter, but my conscious is clear by doing the right thing!

Hit 'em straight!
Seems like a reasonable solution on both ends.Glad it’s in the rear view.

Back