Ugh....broke a window

If your house is right on the golf course i dont see how a golfer would be liable. Thats part of the risk of being right next to the course. Everyone likes to play the victim
I like to play the decent human.

As much as I would hate to pay for my mistake, I would. It's just the right thing to do.

Offering to split or pay the deductible seems like a good compromise. I wouldn't necessarily not do that....i'd want to know what the deductible is but if it's only gonna cost me like 250-300 bones or whatever. MtlJeff is that kind of nice

But if it's some huge bay window made with imported glass featuring a replica of the sistine chapel ceiling. I'm not paying for that!

My cousin who passed away last week, by the way, he played tennis not golf, his wife and daughters and their spouses and kids - none play golf, lived on a local muni in Alexandria, they were 2nd row off course, I think (it's been a while) that one had to make a massive HOOK over a net that protected the first row to get to his house. To my knowledge no windows broken but lots of balls hit his roof (were occasionally found in the gutters!) and had a number of hits to the siding and a deck as well. He always offered me any that I wanted - but I was seldom playing golf at that time (when we would go to the house for talks or dinners or bbqs). Anyway, some day I may ask that family what they do or did or how golfers treated things or the course for that matter.

I've never hit a house (that I am aware of), my errant shots would be too short or not wide enough to get one). I have deposited a ball or 10 in private property yards and unless within a club length of the OB left them for the owner or other players to take.

As stated earlier, I think I (and at least here) the vast majority would at a minimum inquire (for me it would be mid round (after the shot) with a note if no one was home. I would offer to pay the price as long as it was not ridiculous, and if it was, then the deductible. If it was the courses responsibility that might change my mind but even then, not clear to me what direction I would take.

I think it's part of what was supposed and did for a long time, make golf different, the self policing, this is a part of that.

A friend hit a wayward shot and cracked a car's windshield while a woman was driving by the course. The short story is that my friend's home owners policy covered the bill for the woman's wind shield.

I don't know the logistics of these things, but I can see paying the deductible or for the window through your own insurance being the course of action.

A lot of people mentioning that the homeowner's insurance will cover it. This isn't necessarily true though as it will depend on the company or what the deductible is. I know in my area most of the homes in the neighborhood at my course are going to have a 1% deductible. Based on the homes along the course that will probably range from about $3,500-$10,000. Now they're company may cover windows at a lower deductible or offer a Rider that would offer this but many would probably being having to pay out of pocket because the window wouldn't meet the deductible. There also the fact that if it was covered that it will affect their insurance rates causing them to pay more.

I know many will say it's assumed risk but that doesn't mean it's right that the golfer doesn't own up to his mistake. If I park on a narrow street right behind a driveway I'm assuming risk that the person backing out of the driveway could hit my vehicle but I would also expect them to let me know if they do. If I'm standing with a drink in a busy bar I know there's a chance that someone could bump into me cause me to spill or drop my drink. While I know they wouldn't have to buy me another drink I would expect them to at least offer just as I would if I bumped into them and spilled theirs.

At the end of the day I think it's the right thing to do to at least offer to pay for it. If for no other reason, I want as much good karma with the golfing gods as I can get for my next few rounds. I would hate to play the next few rounds on the bad side of that.
dont you put that evil on me GIF

I would think if you own a home that could possibly be hit by a golf ball then you assume the risk. I hit a wild slice that hit a train coming down the tracks and bounced back into the fairway. The engineer gave me a thumbs up and yelled that he'd be by the same time tomorrow.

I’ll never understand the idea of not paying for it. Replace the word window with person and you missed your fairway by 50 yards and of course you would want to help in every way imaginable.
Totally disagree. I don't understand how a person would buy a house on a golf course and not expect windows to get hit....

And also your point about the person, every golfer assumes some risk of being on a golf course, if the person yells four and still hits someone that's not the golfers fault either.

I would think if you own a home that could possibly be hit by a golf ball then you assume the risk. I hit a wild slice that hit a train coming down the tracks and bounced back into the fairway. The engineer gave me a thumbs up and yelled that he'd be by the same time tomorrow.
I only play one course with an active track super close. Like, 30 paces to the left of the tee box we usually play. The conductor/engineers like to arrive in time to see someone setup so they can blast the horn mid swing. Nobody I play with hooks a ball, but damn if we don't get extra slicey on that hole :ROFLMAO:

Totally disagree. I don't understand how a person would buy a house on a golf course and not expect windows to get hit....

And also your point about the person, every golfer assumes some risk of being on a golf course, if the person yells four and still hits someone that's not the golfers fault either.
I've heard as long as you yell fore, you can't be held liable for a broken window. I'm not a lawyer though.

We all assume the risk of getting in a car accident when we go somewhere right? What the difference? I didn’t want my house or car getting hit but an accident is an accident

If everything with assumed risk came with cost and no fault, most people would never drive a car.

Checking back in, when I first saw this thread, I didn't think that there would be this much debate. Offer to pay is the right thing to do, you broke it you buy it. But the number of people claiming assumed risk, is making me question myself.

I've needed the laughs.

Checking back in, when I first saw this thread, I didn't think that there would be this much debate. Offer to pay is the right thing to do, you broke it you buy it. But the number of people claiming assumed risk, is making me question myself.
Making me want to start taking dead aim at some windows since I guess it’s just cool to not pay for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

Well it could be the persons fault if they knew you were in their range. And while I get that for most it's an errant shot and not their fault I would expect them to come and apologize to me and maybe at the least off to buy me a beer or drink in the clubhouse after. I would feel bad if I hit someone and would at least try to do a little something for them. Offering to pay for the window is the moral and decent thing to do.

I will make an amendment to my offer to pay for it.. if they’re a team paradise supporter, I’m breaking the other window too.
Just plain mean.

I've heard as long as you yell fore, you can't be held liable for a broken window. I'm not a lawyer though.
That may be true. However, if you yell four that creates confusion and shifts the liability to the said individual that struck the errant projectile.

Back