Ugh....broke a window

Surfinguru

“SG”
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It varies
Well, it happened. Sliced a tee shot off the planet and tagged a window. The lady of the house was cordial enough and the husband was clearly very pissed off but held his tongue. We exchanged info, but now I'm not sure what level of $$ I should be expected to pay or be responsible for. On one hand, they bough/own a house well within range of a wayward tee shot and therefore, it should be handled by homeowners insurance. On the other hand, it was my ball and my swing action that broke said window. Depending on the deductible, I could see bearing either all or some of that burden, but sure as heck not the entire cost of the window replacement.

What say you THP?

I'm not going to argue one way or another but either we've had this talk before or my buddies have had this talk and it went a little something like this.

If you did it on purpose you need to pay.
If you did it on accident the course is liable if the house was there first or the homeowner if the course was there first.

At least that's how I remember the conversation going.

Put yourself in the homeowner's shoes. Would you expect someone to pay for it or not? I can understand them even saying they don't want to go through insurance because it dings them for having to use it. Of course that is what insurance is for.

I get the argument that they bought a house on the course so they should expect some damage but that is also pretty weak.

If it happened to you on your home, you’d want the person to do the right thing.

Offer to be fair and hope the owner is understanding. Sucks really no matter what :/

I would offer to pay for the window. While accidental you still broke it. Kind of like kids playing sports in the yard or street and they break a window. You would expect the parents to offer to pay for it.

Well, it happened. Sliced a tee shot off the planet and tagged a window. The lady of the house was cordial enough and the husband was clearly very pissed off but held his tongue. We exchanged info, but now I'm not sure what level of $$ I should be expected to pay or be responsible for. On one hand, they bough/own a house well within range of a wayward tee shot and therefore, it should be handled by homeowners insurance. On the other hand, it was my ball and my swing action that broke said window. Depending on the deductible, I could see bearing either all or some of that burden, but sure as heck not the entire cost of the window replacement.

What say you THP?
Im in the minority on these types of things. Imo, the golfer is responsible any, and all damage they cause while golfing.

To me this involves the person's integrity, and honor. It's another part of the integrity of the game of golf.

Now I also realize that there are some states with laws that protect the golfer from any damage they cause to a home owner's property, or person. My state has these "implied consent" laws. I was on a jury once and voted to up hold these laws. Didn't like it, but the law was on the books.

My son in law, before he married my daughter, broke a 10' X 12' 3/8" thick window. He went to homeowner and said he would pay for the window. That's when I new my daughter had found a keeper. It was $900 piece of glass. Fortunately the home owner's insurance took care of $800, plus the labor.

We've had this discussion before.

In most states, you are not LEGALLY obligated to pay. Meaning if they took you to court over it, you would likely win. Why? Because they assumed the risk of their house getting hit by a golf ball when they bought it (assuming it was not there before the course).

However, the reality is, it's a kind and honorable thing to offer to pay. While you likely would ultimately win in court, the cost and the hassle would likely exceed whatever you're going to pay.

I'm not going to argue one way or another but either we've had this talk before or my buddies have had this talk and it went a little something like this.

If you did it on accident the course is liable if the house was there first or the homeowner if the course was there first.

At least that's how I remember the conversation going.

Not if there is a sign on the course that states something to the effect of "golfers are responsible for all damage to adjoining properties."

It’s your responsibility to keep your golf ball on the golf course. You should pay. Just like the example someone else said about kids playing sports and breaking your window.

You’ve damaged someone else’s property regardless of anything else.

Not if there is a sign on the course that states something to the effect of "golfers are responsible for all damage to adjoining properties."

The sign does not override law. It depends on the law in that state. In most states, the golfer is not responsible.

What say you THP?
Personally I would talk to the owner and offer to pay for part of the window. Not to be an ass or anything like that, but if I bought a house on a course in line with potential errant tee shots, I would have to assume the law of averages would mean I am replacing a window.

On your own get a quote so you at least have something to go by and offer to help with the deductible if they go the insurance route or pay half if they go on their own.

Pay for your actions, you broke the window so pay for it. I would expect to replace what I broke to that standard, if they tried to get a nicer window out of it I’d be irritated but being expected to be responsible for your actions isn’t that far fetched I wouldn’t think.

You might also check to see if your homeowners policy would cover it. Many have some coverage for "Damage to Property of Others" though I would check with your agent first to see if it would affect your rates. With the company I work for it would cover it but you would lose the claim free discount if you had it (this used to not count against you until a couple years ago). One of our customers who was a member at my club and I played with same broke a window one day. It was going to be about $400-$500 to fix but he would have lost a $300 a year discount for 3 years on his homeowners so he just paid for it out of pocket. Companies are all different though so yours could cover it and not affect your rates.

There is a course near me that has such a sign up. My buddy the attorney laughed at it. He said they can put up all the signs they want, the signs can't change State law or precedent.

You are not liable. Sorry it happened. If you would call your insurance agent or attorney they will inform you that the home in harms way….. their homeowners insurance covers it. I own a home here in Ohio and in Florida…both on the golf course. Any damage from a golfer unless intentionally done falls under my insurance.
I understand it seems wrong and people here are telling you it’s your responsibility, but you are not liable. You could offer to pay their deductible. When you buy a home in harms way on a golf course…you are accepting the possible outcomes and your insurance will cover it…not the golfer.

I’ll never understand the idea of not paying for it. Replace the word window with person and you missed your fairway by 50 yards and of course you would want to help in every way imaginable.

Maybe they'll offer for you to keep the money and get some lessons?

john mulaney snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Put yourself in the homeowner's shoes. Would you expect someone to pay for it or not? I can understand them even saying they don't want to go through insurance because it dings them for having to use it. Of course that is what insurance is for.

I get the argument that they bought a house on the course so they should expect some damage but that is also pretty weak.

I'd probably guilt myself into paying,but I agree with this, for the opposite reason.

If I buy a house by an cedar tree farm, I'm not having them pay for my allergist. If I buy a house by and airport, I'm not calling in noise complaints on them. If I buy a house on a golf course, I know people suck at golf, and expect there to be some damage at some point.

Blows mind when I see kids playing in the backyard 240 yards or so right off the fairway.

I'd probably guilt myself into paying,but I agree with this, for the opposite reason.

If I buy a house by an cedar tree farm, I'm not having them pay for my allergist. If I buy a house by and airport, I'm not calling in noise complaints on them. If I buy a house on a golf course, I know people suck at golf, and expect there to be some damage at some point.

Blows mind when I see kids playing in the backyard 240 yards or so right off the fairway.
Not great parallels.
If your tree farm house had someone saw a tree down and it hit your house you might not want to pay for that.

If your airport house had someone driving to pick up a friend and hit your mailbox, you might not want to pay for it

Pay to play IMO. Don't know if your insurance would pay but probably cheaper in the long run to pay yourself. Hope it's a small cheap window.

tumblr_c2b716f284d63b6245f9e4781f112278_a6c61102_500gavel.gif

I'm not at all interested in what the law says.
Basic human decency says you make right what you damaged.

Just as the angry dude at the house should be thrilled that you even bothered to stop. If he was a dick to me, I'd probably remind him what the law was while still being willing to pay.

Back