UK Summer Cup 2015

e49749b2fddbc7a5f6a0c70e0c85f3f7.jpg

3eb173c831cc91286afd04777eac51cc.jpg

Lee Westwood is here with the THP UK crew!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baee944df7de8ae7ca90524567451b12.jpg

94ce2fc2bc4e653431735b1c70e6f632.jpg

The bottle is empty! Tequila in honour of Tequila4kapp and his donation to Fold of honour! uploadfromtaptalk1436125391941.jpg

d934ab84e42a4e9de3e7b5f42cb4fc9d.jpg

Post up pics guys...have a blast! Enjoy seeing the courses over there.

Hope everyone makes/made it home safely

Once again, another brilliant couple of days and a big thanks to Stu for organising it

I will get some pictures sorted over the next few days and either post a link to them or add them to the thread

Well played Rob, a very deserving winner and congrats to you and Martin on a family one/two. Some great golf, some comedy moments and good banter!

And as Doc says safe trip home all and many thanks to Stu for organising it all!

Thanks for an awesome weekend guys and massive thanks to El Bandito for organising a great trip once again.

Great laughs, great company and a great venue.

Well played Rob a well deserved win ?

Catch up with you all soon...I am knackered

Thanks to all the guys at this weekend jolly. Really enjoyed my first event and will definitely be back next time. Big thanks to Stu for organising the fun.

To my own great surprise, I made it home alive with all my jewellery. ;-) playing tomorrow morning so will update in the afternoon!

So, the formalities...The Bullock Shield was taken by the North, who won each day by 4.5 to 4, so overall 9 v 8. Well done boys! Nearest the pin was Chas. Longest drive was David L. Nice work! In 3rd overall was the Crag Rat, second was Baileys and the winner was Ice. A father and son 1,2. Very well played guys. Tourist of the Tour has to be Almdudler who entered in a mutual assured destruction pact with The Bandit.

Congratulations to the winners! :drinks:

Looking forward to the recaps and the seeing the pictures.

I thought i would put together a little course summary as course guide below does not paint the full picture. Please note the following link for both courses at Close House
http://www.oobgolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=25168

Colt Course description as I remember it

1) narrow fairway, drops down 10yds to rough and trees on the left. Lateral stream, wall and some trees on the right. Play 2nd shot over a ridge which hides the green
2) all uphill and very undulating green which can't really be seen from fairway
3) played across the hill, fairway slopes left to right, bunkers protecting front right
4) long par 3, pin was centre but hiding behind a bunker
5) all uphill, green out of sight again (my only birdie)
6) long carry over rough and a wall at an angle to downhill fairway, tee shot of faith for someone having never played the course before. Big bunker front/right of the green, wall and OOB all along the left and back of green
7) turn around and back up the hill at an angle, wide fairway that narrows with bunkers and slight dog leg right. Long second shot to raised green, with the pin hiding behind a central bunker smiling at you
8) loooong downhill, fairway forks left and right of what is now rough rather than a bunker. 2nd shot downhill to green with water hazard front and round to left, not much space at the back before a pond
9)longish par 3 all carry over water if you were brave to go for the pin. Other routes were available, skimming across and using the reeds to slow the ball to the front of the green
10) straight and all uphill again to a raised green, oob left and right then a lateral water hazard on the right
11) straight tee shot across a dip and up to a gap in the trees, 2nd shot across this rise to large green
12) walk downhill to next tees, then play across the top of the hill to a well protected green
13) play all the way back down the hill, lots of options, just avoid the dotted bunkers in the fairway. I went right then hit a 7i across to the green, missed my 10ft birdie putt
14) shortest, beautiful hole, very narrow and across a small ravine. see pic earlier on the thread
15) my nemesis, flat tee playing 50 yds across a pond then up about 30-40 yds to the start of rough which then dog legs around to the left. I took 3w to get it up and on to fairway, worked on the 2nd attempt. From the fairway the green is partly hidden by mounds on the right
16) 200+ yds through a gap in the trees then the fairway drops down and to the left. Leave the 2nd short and you hit slope down to the green. Deep bunker to the right and big slope down through rough at back edge of the green
17) long par 5, big trees protecting green from 2nd shots. So sensible is straight, then straight again past trees to pitch on with the third. I drove down the left then went for it down the left side of the trees hoping for a slide fade back to short stuff. Landed in rough then out to bunker finishing with a 6
18) narrow tee shot to wide fairway, lateral down right side, 2nd shot over a wall to large green, water short right, bunker at the right of the green and also a pond

It was another great trip south of the border to play golf with the bunch of reprobates that call themselves golfers. Stu, thanks again for organising, great venue, accommodation, food, courses and 19th hole.
When I arrived i thought there was some sort of convention/promo with all the Range Rovers in the car park, there was a Ferrari California and the Club Captain had a bright yellow Porsche Carrera 4s.

i thought it was a nice touch to get Lee Westwood to put in an appearance for everyone too.

Great weather for both days although i only managed 8 holes before i started to fall apart in the heat on the first day. I was saving myself for the Colt course.
Very pleased with my round on the Colt course, obviously i left some shots out there and my 7 at the 15th will give me nightmares. It was great to finally bring my golf game to one of these events, i went round in a respectable 83 for 34 pts and managed to secure a point for the barbarian hordes. (Taking advantage of the hungover guy with his mind somewhere else)

As the south was one player down - we really missed a trick not getting Lee Westwood in as our ringer.

Having enjoyed significant liquid refreshment on Saturday with Almdudler, the only real option was to continue with that well-known Breakfast of Champions. Lager.

Glenn then overpowered Geo and the Bandit. Geo put up resistance, but the Bandit was only really there in spirits. The Filly course was fun. Not spectacular or long, but challenging nevertheless - with some nice holes.

The Kangaroo court was convened as normal - the overnight leader took some severe Mexican punishment.

The Bandit and Almdudler then reacquainted themselves with their previous evening and entered into a pact of Mutual Assured Destruction (Death by Drinking)

When I awoke - it was far from clear to me where I was or indeed who I was. It was however clear that my wedding ring was nowhere to be seen....therefore a lot of frenetic searching, and fretting took place rather than breakfast. It was also clear that a Bandit charge through the field was not going to happen. Survival was the objective here. It was important that I could survive the round....so that my wife could then kill me.

The Colt course is magnificent. Breathtaking views and beautifully designed holes. It was in part designed by a mountain goat. As we walked onto the 15th tee, there was a little tear in my eye as I considered yet another ascent...Still we soldiered on.

A highlight for me was the Par 3 over water.

Turns out Barnes Wallace was right. You can bounce a bomb over water.....:banana:

The rings were in fact in my room and returned to me at reception once I came in from the golf....(drunken muppet!)

I should add that the winning score was, I believe, 71 Stableford points. 36 on day one and 35 on day 2. Played from the Whites. That second course required good ball striking, with water, severe rough and gullies everywhere. 35 points on there is a great effort! - and his Dad was just a few points behind! Nice work the Newton boys!

Crag Rat played 27 holes of his characteristic good golf - but his front 9 on the easier course let him down.

Sammy the Short Iron has a hot hot hot putter on Day 1 - couldn't buy a putt on day 2.

On day 1 - i can vouch for some very steady golf played by the Doctor...(Ditch the driver buddy - you simply don't need it) - pleasure to watch you melting those fairway woods down the middle.

Almdudler. OK. Let's settle this right now.

Next year. Beer. Only beer. Its been two days and 36 holes and I'm still feeling Sunday night......:alien:

I should add that the winning score was, I believe, 71 Stableford points. 36 on day one and 35 on day 2. Played from the Whites. That second course required good ball striking, with water, severe rough and gullies everywhere. 35 points on there is a great effort! - and his Dad was just a few points behind! Nice work the Newton boys!

Crag Rat played 27 holes of his characteristic good golf - but his front 9 on the easier course let him down.

Sammy the Short Iron has a hot hot hot putter on Day 1 - couldn't buy a putt on day 2.

On day 1 - i can vouch for some very steady golf played by the Doctor...(Ditch the driver buddy - you simply don't need it) - pleasure to watch you melting those fairway woods down the middle.

Almdudler. OK. Let's settle this right now.

Next year. Beer. Only beer. Its been two days and 36 holes and I'm still feeling Sunday night......:alien:
I whole heartedly agree with that!

Made it safe and sound home but had only three hours of sleep until work.. So will not post that much until tomorrow but will put up some pics!

First round pictures:
The owners "little cabin"
uploadfromtaptalk1436297459421.jpg

The group on first tee
uploadfromtaptalk1436297509188.jpg

Bailey's strong finishing pose
uploadfromtaptalk1436297604812.jpg

Tight tee shot
uploadfromtaptalk1436297807138.jpg

Linus you are a legend buddy ?

I will have more to post and pics when I can get a chance as I have been busy this evening after work

The first round with Stu and GEO was a blast, mainly because I played so well scoring 36 points and showing those southerners that I was there to back up my earlier comments in the thread about taking out any raiders to our territory :D

Unfortunately I wasn't able to continue that form through the second day, playing with Sam and eventual winner Rob and watching the way he played it would have been difficult to keep up with him even if my back held up for the full round

It was great to catch up with everyone and I am already looking forward to the next event

From the second day:

Everybody ready?! (Not me.. But I found a fairway on the first shot!
uploadfromtaptalk1436299985158.jpg

I like those Infinity-greens!
uploadfromtaptalk1436300067522.jpg

More Infinity-greens in a panoramic view.. (Will it work?)
uploadfromtaptalk1436300226075.jpg

The 8th hole fairway looked like green ice-cream..
uploadfromtaptalk1436300293594.jpg

Last edited:
Just bonus picture.. Don't know if this was my visit to the nightclub on Friday or a depiction of my state after the drinks on Sunday!

6139753077a61632c32a8176b47ba465.jpg

Big shout out to Damoegan who stood up with me! He did looked a bit tired of my shenanigans on Monday morning!

Will have a link to download the rest of the pics tomorrow in a zip file..

Here's one of Stu playing up the hill on the 2nd hole. Big Tree's on the 17th right behind him.
Row of trees further right split the first and 18th fairway.
Off in the distance and to the right is the skyline of Newcastle

Back