Under Appreciated Bands/Artists?

J.J. Cale. The writer of so many great tunes that others made famous (Clapton, Skynyrd, Santana, .....), but his original recordings were all really good too.
EXCELLENT one

Another of mine:

Jeff Heaely Band

What do you think @LLIB is Black Stone Cherry underrated? Middle of the road in the US, charted several singles in the US but never a top tier break through. Overseas however... huge.

Yeah I'm not here to defend you. At some point, however, people are going to realize that their songs were actually pretty good.

I opened this thread just so I could bring up Grand Funk Railroad.

Blood, Sweat & Tears, and Tower Of Power also come to mind.

Monkees are way up there also.

BSE&T, especially the first album with Al Kooper.-

The Atari’s

What do you think @LLIB is Black Stone Cherry underrated? Middle of the road in the US, charted several singles in the US but never a top tier break through. Overseas however... huge.
Definitely. They should be even more big than they are.

I’ve made quite the road trip to Nashville list of music thanks to this thread!

Def Leppard
I have a TON of Def Leppard music and have even more respect for the band and their drummer. I actually just picked up a stunning Hysteria t-shirt.

Most of my suggestions have already been mentioned. Just a few more to add to the list:
Cat Stevens
Badfinger
Faces
Skid Row
Blues Traveler
I love Cat Stevens. Aka Yusuf Islam. Great addition.

Live, never got to see them perform in person but loved every album released, some radio time but don't think they were ever appreciated as much as they should've been
I actually saw Live a few times back just after they released the Secret Samadhi and The Distance to Here records in probably 97/98 kind of time? Really good live band, put on an excellent show.

The Atari’s
Their albums Blue Skies, Broken Hearts...Next 12 Exits and End is Forever are still two of my favourite records.

I'm going to throw Finch into the mix here as well, What It Is To Burn is up there with my favourite album of all time.

Oh...and Jimmy Eat World, their first 4 albums are just immaculate from start to finish.

Drive By Truckers. Southern Rock Opera all the way through Blessing and a Curse is so amazing.

Similarly, Jason Isbell. Some of the best, most heartfelt songwriting in country music or elsewhere.

I'm going to throw Finch into the mix here as well, What It Is To Burn is up there with my favourite album of all time.

Oh...and Jimmy Eat World, their first 4 albums are just immaculate from start to finish.

1000% yes to Finch and What It Is To Burn. So effing good.

Last edited:

Nickelback..
:ROFLMAO:
Here's my take...

A few years ago, someone cool/respected in the music industry, using a big mic (metaphor) made some negative comments about Nickelback, making it cool to not like Nickelback. Lemmings...

Shooting Star
Toad The Wet Sprocket

That's interesting because I found myself earlier this week listening to a couple of tracks from Toad's "Fear". "All I Want" and "Walk on the Ocean"

Here's my take...

A few years ago, someone cool/respected in the music industry, using a big mic (metaphor) made some negative comments about Nickelback, making it cool to not like Nickelback. Lemmings...

Dr. Dog
Biffy Clyro
You should come to Scotland my friend, Biffy are effing huge here - like, headlining festivals and arenas huge. Pretty sure they're not as well known over in the US right enough though, but then again they are Scottish and the pride is real :LOL:

Not knowing what your definition of underappreciated I would say:
Supertramp
Little River Band
Carly Simon
Pat Benatar
Jefferson Airplane / 70's Jefferson Starship

All but Jefferson are not in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Back