University of Miami basketball player to transfer if NIL demands not met

Im not sure I would say "most" for the amount that get to go someplace, get waxed and all so their hung like a thimble boosters can pound their chest about winning against podunq tech.
Ok, most was hyperbole but here (https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/07/10/college-football-buy-games-group-of-five) you can see that smaller schools rely on these games, up to 1.8 million to show up at Ohio st. for example. Kent st it says 17% of their budget it from football buy games. Add in basketball and you’re looking at 20-25%

Ok, most was hyperbole but here (https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020/07/10/college-football-buy-games-group-of-five) you can see that smaller schools rely on these games, up to 1.8 million to show up at Ohio st. for example. Kent st it says 17% of their budget it from football buy games. Add in basketball and you’re looking at 20-25%
I never denied that its a big business to get thumped so boosters can pound their chest, I have said as much for years. Its just not most. Most schools are using an entire pool of dollars to support athletics. We are reaching a point with costs, and when people are about to get charged for others debt to go away that perhaps if these schools are generating billions, they should cover higher education.

I never denied that its a big business to get thumped so boosters can pound their chest, I have said as much for years. Its just not most. Most schools are using an entire pool of dollars to support athletics. We are reaching a point with costs, and when people are about to get charged for others debt to go away that perhaps if these schools are generating billions, they should cover higher education.
Or remove it, which is what I have lobbied for and set up organized AAU which is all this is anyway and not have it tied to education, like most places.

Or remove it, which is what I have lobbied for and set up organized AAU which is all this is anyway and not have it tied to education, like most places.
So AAU or a club system like international soccer teams do? I could see that but the schools won't let up the money.

So AAU or a club system like international soccer teams do? I could see that but the schools won't let up the money.
Of course not, which shows the entire thing is about greed, not education, not anything.
Its about money. But I dont want to pay for it anymore. Neither should anybody else, while these schools are raking in dough.

Everything about athletics is separate at this point, just remove it.

The soccer model is 100% superior. You’re right that schools won’t give up sports without a massive fight and pro clubs in America will fight having to eat those new expenses. If the ncaa hadn’t been so stupid and just let the athletes have a little of what they generate then we wouldn’t be in the wreck we’re in now.

The soccer model is 100% superior. You’re right that schools won’t give up sports without a massive fight and pro clubs in America will fight having to eat those new expenses. If the ncaa hadn’t been so stupid and just let the athletes have a little of what they generate then we wouldn’t be in the wreck we’re in now.
Equal profit sharing across all revenue generating sports per school, and things like allowing them to be paid for sanctioned/approved pre cleared autograph events, trading cards, and sports video games would have kept everyone happy.

Equal profit sharing across all revenue generating sports per school, and things like allowing them to be paid for sanctioned/approved pre cleared autograph events, trading cards, and sports video games would have kept everyone happy.
100% agree on theory. T9 complicates it a bit as money would be passing through schools.

Really enjoyed Aaron Torres podcast yesterday. He had on Dan Lust who’s a sports business lawyer to talk about all of this and possible solution. Good listen once you’re done with Off Course

Enough of the lower and mid budget teams need to nut up and revamp the ncaa system into more of a relegation structure. Let the top money hungry schools break away and do their own thing.

#pipedream.

Enough of the lower and mid budget teams need to nut up and revamp the ncaa system into more of a relegation structure. Let the top money hungry schools break away and do their own thing.

#pipedream.
Prorel would be awesome. Sign me up.

One thing I could never understand is that a college athlete on a full ride scholarship has their housing, food and schooling provided to them for FREE. Yes, I understand that they have to commit a lot of time to their sport and such they might not be able to make money on the side while going to college to pay for things. While, I understand that point. I also see a student who is getting several hundred thousand dollars for free to get an education, where others aren't afforded that luxury. I have mixed drinks about feelings on the NIL, but it's hard not to overlook how much they are already getting...

One thing I could never understand is that a college athlete on a full ride scholarship has their housing, food and schooling provided to them for FREE. Yes, I understand that they have to commit a lot of time to their sport and such they might not be able to make money on the side while going to college to pay for things. While, I understand that point. I also see a student who is getting several hundred thousand dollars for free to get an education, where others aren't afforded that luxury. I have mixed drinks about feelings on the NIL, but it's hard not to overlook how much they are already getting...
Just because they’re getting all of that doesn’t mean they’re not being undervalued/underpaid.

Just because they’re getting all of that doesn’t mean they’re not being undervalued/underpaid.
Very true. Doesnt mean they are either however.
The market when allowed dictates that, and since parity never existed in this, having a place of higher education be a professional sports program seems like a pretty weird idea. We are going to see immediately how well it works, but I think even the most die hard fans can see its collapsing in front of their eyes.

Very true. Doesnt mean they are either however.
The market when allowed dictates that, and since parity never existed in this, having a place of higher education be a professional sports program seems like a pretty weird idea. We are going to see immediately how well it works, but I think even the most die hard fans can see its collapsing in front of their eyes.
I’m not knowledgeable enough on the subject to understand the full picture. It would be a shame if this brings on the end of non revenue generating sports scholarships. But at the same time, get Bryce Young that money because scholarship, room, and board is highway robbery for what he’s worth. I don’t have the answers though.

I’m not knowledgeable enough on the subject to understand the full picture. It would be a shame if this brings on the end of non revenue generating sports scholarships. But at the same time, get Bryce Young that money because scholarship, room, and board is highway robbery for what he’s worth. I don’t have the answers though.
I ask this as a genuine question. Why are athletics tied with higher education outside of intramural activities? I mean going through time there was a place, but now? With bloat everywhere and it being asked by us to pay for it, seems like an odd idea when separation could bring even more money in, they could then be paid what they are worth if that is in fact more, etc.

I ask this as a genuine question. Why are athletics tied with higher education outside of intramural activities? I mean going through time there was a place, but now? With bloat everywhere and it being asked by us to pay for it, seems like an odd idea when separation could bring even more money in, they could then be paid what they are worth if that is in fact more, etc.
Because that’s the way it’s always been (idk)? I couldn’t tell you where the money comes from or where it’s going even if I had multiple choice options. Title 9 already killed off a bunch of non-revenue sports programs. It seems like this could kill off a few more, which to me as a former diver, would stink.

This whole conversation makes me want to have a drink early in the afternoon. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On the subject of where does the $ come from. I recall about 20 years ago Penn State was having a big fund raising drive. The put Joe Paterno in charge and he had a Billion Dollar Goal. He raised 1.4 Billion. Alumni who have done well donate in big amounts.

I remember when the issue was that kids didn't have money to go on a date or to get a burger. NIL is quickly out of balance the other way. Laws in some states prevent school who have traditionally been powers to be uncompetitive via NIL. i'm all for the kids getting paid but this is stupid.

Here’s a cool piece about a player not chasing the money.

I think if they take the instant eligibility of transfers away, like it used to be. Make them sit a year before being eligible to play, it would help a lot of the free-for-all free agency stuff that has been happening this year.

I would be okay with that for athletes that are getting more than 50% of their college paid for. If the coach leaves they should be able to leave also. In many sports kids are paying most of the freight. If they want to go play somewhere else I feel they should be able to.

If a coach leaves I don’t feel like the kids he recruited should have to stay. The coach is getting paid and doesn’t have to sit out so why should the kid.

I would be okay with that for athletes that are getting more than 50% of their college paid for. If the coach leaves they should be able to leave also. In many sports kids are paying most of the freight. If they want to go play somewhere else I feel they should be able to.

If a coach leaves I don’t feel like the kids he recruited should have to stay. The coach is getting paid and doesn’t have to sit out so why should the kid.
No problem with waiving the eligibility standards for coaching changes.

I think if they take the instant eligibility of transfers away, like it used to be. Make them sit a year before being eligible to play, it would help a lot of the free-for-all free agency stuff that has been happening this year.
Why not apply whatever you want for them to ourselves and see how we’d like it? Next time you want to change jobs, you have to intern there for free for a year first. Sounds pretty sh***y to me.

I remember when the issue was that kids didn't have money to go on a date or to get a burger. NIL is quickly out of balance the other way. Laws in some states prevent school who have traditionally been powers to be uncompetitive via NIL. i'm all for the kids getting paid but this is stupid.
What laws/states are you referring to? Either way, even if NIL money changes the who the "traditional powers" are, that doesn't mean it's wrong to me.

For the record, I'm pretty sure not much has changed in regards to kids getting paid other than we're hearing about it now that it's out in the open.

Back