Unwarranted Arrogance or Valid Point?...I Say Arrogance

darnall

Reaction score
Handicap
I don't think it's as much arrogance as it is looking out for their own. With that said, I don't really agree. Let the ammy's have a chance.

As was stated in one of the comments on the article page, The Masters is The Masters because one of the greatest amateur players of all time. These two should probably shut up in regards to blasting the amateurs.

I sort of understand the disdain, sort of like when 13yr olds are notified of Oscar nominations in the performing arts profession. Makes you kind of wonder, but at the same time, are these youngsters/amateurs deserving of the spots? Since they were invited, I would say just as much as any of the pros. It's not exactly easy to qualify and get invited to the Masters.

I wholly agree with the last line of that article, if you wanna play, play better!!

I disagree. It sounds like arrogance and sour grapes. It's been an honored tradition to let the winners of the US Am, runner up of the US Am, Mid Am winner, and Pub Links winner into the Masters. Now the Asian Am winner. What are the odds of getting all the way through just one of those, one in a few thousand?

What are the odds that Matt Every or Charlie Beijan can win a single official money tournament during the regular season, make it to the top 30 on the FedEx cup list, be in the top 8 for the US Open, 4 for the British, or 4 for the PGA, or top 50 in the world prior to the Masters?

It seems like those few kids did their job and were rewarded. Why should they be punished because Matt Every can't do his? At least Beijan won an event. Unfortunately it wasn't during the right time but that goes back to Augusta National and what they decide to give out the invitations to, just as they do for those amateur events

I think this is poor form by Beljan and Every. They act as if they just missed the cut because the Am's were included. The last line of the story is the truth - the morale of the story is to just play better.

Beljan and Every can take their opinions and shove them. The Masters is great because of this inclusion of Amateurs. Just because you win a silly season event with a weak field doesnt make you any more worthy.

Since the Masters is invite only, I really hope they revoke any future access these two have if they qualify.

Call me harsh, but it sounds like sour grapes to me because they aren't there playing

Who would be interested to see them take on the amateurs? How embarrassed would they then be if these amateurs walked all over them.....

I wholly agree with the last line of that article, if you wanna play, play better!!

Absolutely agree. They should stop complaining and go out and work on their game so they can qualify for next year's Masters. There will be a lot more excitement by viewers to watch Tianlang Guan play than Matt Every, Charlie Beljan or Brian Harman combined. Very interested to see the 14 yr old play and see how he handles the length of Augusta.

Playing in the masters will be the highlight of a lifetime for most of the amateurs and really has no impact upon any of the professional golfers.

They don't take a spot away from the pros since if you're not in the top 50 or a winner you won't be in if there aren't amateurs or not.

Just seems like a dick move to want to take away the experience of a lifetime for someone like that

Wow.....just wow. Wonder what type of tissues they want to wipe their face with?

Maybe Beljan and Every should gripe about past champions taking what is so rightfully theirs, apparently. You know, guys like Watson, Crenshaw, Jose Maria and others. Heck, maybe they can add Charlie to Jack, Arnie and Player in hitting the opening shots. These two are Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.

Oh, mah lawd. That's weapons-grade stupid right there.

The Masters is NOT run for the benefit of pro golfers, particularly them. They include the ams because they WANT to, and they can. Don't like it? Don't come.
It was started by Bobby Jones....an AMATEUR. The US Amateur champ plays with the defending champion.

These two would be well advised to recall that the Masters is an INVITATIONAL tournament. Yes, most invitiations are handed out more or less automatically, but the club (NOT the Tour) can invite whomever they wish. Or NOT, should they be giant dumba**es.

Those two are just upset cause they didn't get invited as pro's or Ams. I like watching how the Ams do. I actually hope neither of them ever get an invite for acting like two cry babies.

Boo hoo. There's just all sorts of stupid in that article. I think the ams are fantastic and absolutely deserve to be there. What an experience. Cry cry

Beljan looks to be regretting his Tweets. He has since deactivated his Twitter account. Every apologized.

As was stated in one of the comments on the article page, The Masters is The Masters because one of the greatest amateur players of all time. These two should probably shut up in regards to blasting the amateurs.
You that perfectly right!

Beljan looks to be regretting his Tweets. He has since deactivated his Twitter account. Every apologized.

Beljan must have been getting hammered in order for him to result in deactivating his account. What did they expect by making such stupid comments against the most revered club and tournament in the U.S.?

Oh, mah lawd. That's weapons-grade stupid right there.

The Masters is NOT run for the benefit of pro golfers, particularly them. They include the ams because they WANT to, and they can. Don't like it? Don't come.
It was started by Bobby Jones....an AMATEUR. The US Amateur champ plays with the defending champion.

These two would be well advised to recall that the Masters is an INVITATIONAL tournament. Yes, most invitiations are handed out more or less automatically, but the club (NOT the Tour) can invite whomever they wish. Or NOT, should they be giant dumba**es.

First off, the bolded part had me ROFL, so thank you for that. As for the rest, I could not have said it any better. 100% agree with you jmatt.

There ya go! That's what happens when you mouth of on social media and realize that you were an idiot for doing so. The Am's are deserving. I mean how many people on THP would love to play well enough to qualify for the Masters? I would assume everyone. It's the most exclusive golf tournament in the world that every golfer knows about and I don't know anyone who would turn down a chance for one round there no matter what time of year it was offered. I would pull my credit card, swipe and worry about the details later if I was given the chance. Get on a plane tonight to play tomorrow? Hmm, $800 round trip flight, unknown green fee cost...sounds good!

I've heard Every is a self serving whiner...this just goes on to prove what I've heard. I'll take Bobby Jones' vision over these guys haha.

First off, the bolded part had me ROFL, so thank you for that. As for the rest, I could not have said it any better. 100% agree with you jmatt.

I liked the Weapons Grade Stupid comment as well!

Back