USGA and R&A - Distance Rollback Proposals

how crazy would it sound if each pitcher used a different ball in baseball?
This isn’t baseball. Let’s not compare apples and kiwi’s.

So is this something that the USGA and R&A would do while the season is underway? Or is this their "we're going to do something about distance... sometime in the future" answer and they'll drag their feet?

#Idiots

87195F62-BF08-4994-80AC-89D1D9366D1E.gif

What is an appropriate distance for players to hit, and how is that determined? Players are hitting it only marginally further than the last 50 years historically.

I fail to understand what the ‘problem’ is, as it has not been well defined. I don’t understand how it is a problem for golf, or how this actually helps the game.

What is an appropriate distance for players to hit, and how is that determined? Players are hitting it only marginally further than the last 50 years historically.

I fail to understand what the ‘problem’ is, as it has not been well defined. I don’t understand how it is a problem for golf, or how this actually helps the game.
I’ll be honest, I think they’re being #olds and they’re simply afraid of how far Bryson is going to take this. Which even as a non Bryson fan is total abs absolute horse ****. They’re so out of touch it’s insane.

All of this ^^^^^, but particularly the first: Can somebody explain, in twenty-five words or less, just what is the "problem" they're trying to solve?

Oh, answered even before I hit the "Post" button.

I’ll be honest, I think they’re being #olds and they’re simply afraid of how far Bryson is going to take this. Which even as a non Bryson fan is total abs absolute horse ****. They’re so out of touch it’s insane.
Srsly?
coocoo.gif
So, in two words: Bryson DeChambeau? Good grief
rolleyes.gif

This is the direct consequence of a bunch of uppity old men being outdriven by their sons and son-in-law’s.

how crazy would it sound if each pitcher used a different ball in baseball?
This isn’t baseball. Let’s not compare apples and kiwi’s.
I mean we can compare the two, in similar scenarios (where a ball is shared). In alt-shot, players are not allowed to alter the ball for their shot - they must use the one that has been put into play.

And, if we really want to get granular, players are required to use the same ball once it is put in play. Which is actually quite a bit different from baseball, where they change balls after every dirt ball, foul ball, etc.

So technically, the rules are the same (with probably tighter tolerances).

The USGA is just doing the PGA Tour's dirty work and it's pathetic.

I mean we can compare the two, in similar scenarios (where a ball is shared). In alt-shot, players are not allowed to alter the ball for their shot - they must use the one that has been put into play.

And, if we really want to get granular, players are required to use the same ball once it is put in play. Which is actually quite a bit different from baseball, where they change balls after every dirt ball, foul ball, etc.

You’re a smart man.

The USGA is just doing the PGA Tour's dirty work and it's pathetic.
They’re so out of touch and afraid of change it’s staggering.

So is this something that the USGA and R&A would do while the season is underway? Or is this their "we're going to do something about distance... sometime in the future" answer and they'll drag their feet?
That is my hope, and if history serves, it should take them YEARS to actually change anything.

Which probably means we'll see it at a tournament next month.

Well, it looks like it’s coming.

It’s being reported that the sanctioning bodies are floating changing ball and driver testing as well as limiting driver length to 46”.

Of note, it’s being said it would be up to the events to decide to enforce or not? Local rules?

Thougts? Who sues first?

I dont really mind the 46 in max length. I think it is dumb but I don't mind it. The rest we will see what happens with the proposal. Will the run with it or will the industry and game as a whole say no..

Huh?

You lost me at alt-shot is more like baseball

Huh?

You lost me at alt-shot is more like baseball
Because that’s the instance where the same ball is in play for golf. Though with baseball any time the ball hits the ground and has a “scuff” they replace it, so it’s still apples to kiwi.

Also, what grounds could you possibly sue on?

Why haven't metal bat manufacturers bankrupted MLB?

Amateur baseball allows the use of different clubs (bats) than the pros so I don't see a problem doing the same in golf, not that I'd be in favor of that.

What I don't understand is why we were OK with making holes longer to compensate for length but for some reason we can't make holes where driving the ball over 300 yards is a disadvantage. I'll admit to knowing very little about course design but it seems like with the use of pot bunkers, water, doglegs or whatever, you could redesign a course so that outside of a few exceptions, hitting a very precise 290 yard tee short leads to the best score. It would kill the distance battle on tour, keep equipment manufacturers happy, prevent bifurcation, and not have the side effect of also harming amateurs.

Sort of related, it was nice not seeing the pros get 30 to 50 yards of roll with the driver this past weekend. It's beating a dead horse at this point, but eliminating the crazy roll would help.

Because that’s the instance where the same ball is in play for golf. Though with baseball any time the ball hits the ground and has a “scuff” they replace it, so it’s still apples to kiwi.
Sorry, I didn't realize baseball players got on base and continued to hit until they scored a run.

hitting a baseball is nothing like golf.
obviously baseball is a different sport than golf.

pitching at least has some of the same fundamental. One dude, one ball, trying to control speed/spin/location. That was the comparison.....every pitcher uses the same ball. I'd bet changing the cover, stitching, internals could suit some pitchers much better.

hitting a baseball is nothing like golf.
obviously baseball is a different sport than golf.

pitching at least has some of the same fundamental. One dude, one ball, trying to control speed/spin/location. That was the comparison.....every pitcher uses the same ball. I'd bet changing the cover, stitching, internals could suit some pitchers much better.
At least we agree on something: baseball is nothing like golf

Back