Vibram Five Finger Shoes - Review Thread

Hey Checkered, what's the verdict on wearing such a minimalist shoe in cold/wet PNW weather? Do your feet stay reasonably dry and warm? Or do you think these would be a summer only shoe for us?

Curious, what shoe size are you and what size did you order? I am just wondering about sizing as other testers have felt they are close to "true" size

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I am a 9.5 and the sizing guide put me in a 42. I actually went to the local retailer for them and tried on a 42 in another style that fit perfect, the 43 was too big and so I ordered the 42. The issue I had was with my big toe and the one right next to it being against the inside of the shoe, which would have lead to discomfort when on the course.

I was told by the guy at the shoe store that some of the different styles varied in size a little from one shoe to another.

Hey Checkered, what's the verdict on wearing such a minimalist shoe in cold/wet PNW weather? Do your feet stay reasonably dry and warm? Or do you think these would be a summer only shoe for us?
This is something I am curious on. The materials feel like you'd want to stick to using them in summer (more for the rain than the warmth), but without trying it just can't say for sure. It should rain tomorrow/Friday so I'll have a chance to get my feet wet (pun intended) and give a better answer on this.

That said, they have some models specific for "watersports". The Treksport and Treksport Sandal are in both that category and the golf category, so would be solid options for fall/winters up this way.

For size, it's definitely harder in these than shoes unless you find one of the stores that carry them (not that many around here). My old KSOs were 41 and a bit big. I got my Treksports in 41 too, and they're a touch small (my big toe on my right foot is snugger than I'd like against the front, but not enough to be truly unpleasant).

For warmth, I'd say if you'd be comfortable wearing just a golf shirt out, it's warm enough to wear the V5s. If you want a sweater, you'd want socks or different shoes. Treksports are considered watersport shoes more for gripping on slippery rocks, not for warmth. And it's those grips that make them (IMO) great golf shoes.

I tested this a little bit yesterday. The Speed XC Lites handled short wet grass well. I had no issues with feet getting wet through them even in about 2 inches of grass. Much more than that though, and I started to feel the water getting through. I would definitely think that with the fall/winters up in the PNW, I wouldn't wear these then, but in summer if it had rained the night before or had light rain, I still probably would. I'll have to get out to test these thoughts one of these times as this is just from spending like 45 minutes out trodding in the grass and practicing chipping out front at my house.

Put a big time good test on these today. Will post thoughts this evening with a few pics.

Needless to say.. I am UBER impressed after walking 18.

Alright. Alright. Finally got a good testing in on the Vibram Speed XC Lite.

Snap judgement:
super duper comfortable
extremely light weight
no toe fatigue
Shot my personal best... So it has to be the shoes.

First off, let me start by saying I have been wearing these for a few days non stop to get my feet used to them. The course was dry, so I cannot comment on keeping my feet dry.

Honestly, these are one of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn. It takes time to get used to them and if they aren't for you... Then your initial reaction will not be positive. One knock is that if you do step on rocks, you will feel it. Therefore, I recommend keep an eye out for where you are walking.

Alot of people have asked about sand shots... I was in the sand twice and one was a green side bunker and one a fairway bunker... Not once did I have sand in my shoes. Another knock that I had after wearing them at first was foot sweat. Well, my feet didn't sweat much at all on the golf course. The XC's have plenty of mesh and breathable material so they actually kept my feet warm and at a good feel. Also, a lot of people mentioned did your footing stay stable and I honestly did not have one problem with footing. They made me really focus on keeping a smooth tempo and transition which is exactly what I need.

I can honestly say... When these first came in and I had some range time with them... I wasn't very optimistic, but goodness, after my first full 18 holes... I am MORE THAN IMPRESSED.

The looks make people skeptical, but if they are your cup of tea... They are very much worth the price tag. These are durable, lightweight, funky and very comfortable. I absolutely love them as an everyday shoe and I really really like them as a golf shoe. One good thing that I liked... They seemed to give me a good feel for the breaks in the greens. I had 24 putts, so maybe it was a hot putter, but I read every green perfectly and I really felt like that could be due to the Vibram's. Also, my big swing flaw is trying to swing hard and over swinging.. With theses on, it made me really slow down and focus on my tempo. I kept telling myself, you have NO spikes, so keep your footing.

Here are a few pics I snapped on the fringe and green.

20140427_124920_zpsl1s7zfby.jpg

20140427_124943_zpsnqys0xkm.jpg

20140427_124954_zpsydzccocf.jpg

That's great stuff, Sanzabar. As I said in the sign up thread, I recently played barefoot and loved it (aside from stepping on a few unpleasant things). I'll be following along but really think I'll end up with a pair of these.

Last edited:
Love it Sanzabar great write up and congrats on the great round and new PB

Fantastic write up Sanzabar! I was going to ask about the greens and feeling slope but then saw you mention that aspect.

So, aside from the performance, what has the response been by other golfers?

Fantastic write up Sanzabar! I was going to ask about the greens and feeling slope but then saw you mention that aspect.

So, aside from the performance, what has the response been by other golfers?

The first thing I get when I walk up to the golf course is... "What the funk is on your feet?" It honestly has been more of the laughing at them then complimenting.

Great write up, and congrats on your PB! I've been pretty skeptical of these, but reading something like your post really makes me wonder.

Awesome write up Sanzabar. They seem to be working out well and the PB proves it! :act-up:

I'm also interested to hear what others you may have been paired up with or your regular group thought of them.

JM

Great review! I tried the Vibrams in the past and they hurt my pinky toe being so far from my ring toe. I had to switch to the Fila version because it kept those two toes together.

Great job guys. You all are hitting everything I want to know about these.

Great review! I tried the Vibrams in the past and they hurt my pinky toe being so far from my ring toe. I had to switch to the Fila version because it kept those two toes together.

That is the exact area that took me some time to get used to. After wearing them ALOT for like 3-4 days, it felt natural.

I got my V-Classic's n white/grey on Monday and wore them around the house to get used to them for a couple hours. I had a little difficulty getting them on due to my toes not being straight(thanks to soccer shoes and pointy boots), this wasn't a big deal just took a little messing about to get my toes in the right spot. The shoes are super comfortable just like I expected them to be for me.

The quality of the shoe at first inspection is top notch. The top fabric is really soft against the foot and no seems were noticed/felt while sock-less. The softness of the fabric used is something I wish that more barefoot/minimalist shoes used. The printing on the shoe to look like the classic winged tip shoes is really cool and a great addition IMO that adds a nice style to the shoe.

The sole is very flexible and thin enough that you will feel anything you step on, yet thick enough to provide you with protection from sticks, rocks and just about anything you would run into on the course, obviously it will not protect you from boards with nails/screws stick up or metal spikes through landscape timber. The pattern, varying sizes and depth of the bumps on the bottom appear more than adequate for good traction on the course.

Others Reactions

The wife thinks these are pretty cool and likes the look and style of these. The guys at the course were quite intrigued last night by these while we stood around the club house and watched mother nature pummel us with sideways rain. The conversation and comments about them were very accepting from the mostly retired crowd that plays in the league. Almost everyone was curious about the style and how comfortable they were to wear. When the rain finally subsided and I could get out to walk the course was so drenched that there was quite a bit of puddling and the what wasn't was very spongy, so in the interest of keeping my feet warm and dry I didn't get these on the course. I will however get to the range this week and hopefully weather permitting get some time on the course.

Here is a pic from Monday night as I wore them around the house.

E5AC97E5-3D5E-4381-8693-2BCE20557B70.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

These look much better on feet than I would have initially expected. Interesting

Great reviews guys, enjoy hearing all about these!

the white and grey look good.

These look much better on feet than I would have initially expected. Interesting

That they do and like all minimalist/barefoot shoes they make the ball area of you feet look wide if your not used to the look. I have several different pairs and they all give the same appearance, do to the lack of padding on the sides of them. This look is diminished when wearing pants although have the proper length pants is crucial with these.

I have been wearing mine a little bit each day to get used to them. I still struggle with my pinky toe getting them on, but I can get them on much easier than when I got them now. I really do feel like these help me get reads on the greens better by being able to feel the contours more. Every time I've been putting with these I notice it, and really like that. one thing I have noticed, is that wearing pants with these, I need to roll the pants up a little bit, as it puts me enough lower to the ground the back of my pants tend to drag and either get stepped on, or wet/dirty. It is something I don't think about until it's too late so it's been kind of annoying so far. Otherwise, I'm really liking the feel of them both walking and while swinging the clubs.

I am finding myself putting these things on every time I leave the house.

I got out to the range today and hit a medium bucket and had zero traction issues while on the mat. I felt very grounded through out the swing.

I also walked 9 holes this evening, the course was mostly dry with a few soggy/squishy spots, most of our cart paths are gravel and they are only around tee boxes and along 3 holes that are wooded and can have water issues.

Traction- was not a concern even on full driver/3wd swings, normal iron swings no problems, I even stepped on a couple iron shots and had no issue there either

Comfort- The temp was around 50* and breezy but my feet stayed warm, a couple times when I stepped into the soggy areas I could feel a little moisture seep into the side of the shoes not a big deal as it seemed to leave just as quickly. I didn't have any issues with sticks or rocks poking the bottom or sides of my feet even with the little hike i took through the wood chasing a ball.

Even though I wear shoes that have zero to 4mm heel/toe drop a bunch and am used to them. I am not used to having my toes separated/spread apart and this has left my feet a little tired in the toe/ball area of the foot.

Looks- I wore these with pants today due to the temps and the looked really good and at first glance you wouldn't even notice that they weren't regular shoes, but when someone noticed they asked about them and were really curious to hear what I thought about them.

As someone who embraced barefoot shoes as part of a rehabilitation process, it's awesome to see people get to know some of the benefits of barefoot shoes and sort of reintroducing your feet to mother Earth through their golf shoes. Thanks for the reviews, gents. Keep it rocking!

Back