Visiting Briggs Ranch

I will test and get back to the thread for ranch water vs margarita sometime Sunday or Monday.

Those of us going to the Riverwalk Saturday evening can make this happen. It's right there.
Where are y'all eating?

Where are y'all eating?
Don’t think we’ve decided. I think the crew was up for anything. We’ve got Tex max and bbq at Briggs but I don’t think most of us can get good versions of either regularly so doubling and tripling up probably is in the cards.

Definitely a riverwalk tourist trap. :D

unless we can use @Wildcat 's VIP pass at Coyote Ugly
I was going to recommend walking around the Pearl (Hotel Emma). That's where we used to love hanging out during law school. But I think its at least 2 miles from the Alamo.

Don’t think we’ve decided. I think the crew was up for anything. We’ve got Tex max and bbq at Briggs but I don’t think most of us can get good versions of either regularly so doubling and tripling up probably is in the cards.
We tended to hang out around the Pearl (Hotel Emma) when I was down there for law school but that area is 2ish miles from the Alamo.

The one place we did love going to was the Bier Garten Riverwalk. Don't really recall the food all that much, but the beer was good.

The group is heading to the river walk Saturday night so you may get a bunch of us. Pretty sure it’s right there if my research is correct.

The one place we did love going to was the Bier Garten Riverwalk. Don't really recall the food all that much, but the beer was good.
The Bier Garten is directly across from the Alamo. They have a small German menu but real German Bier on tap!

The Riverwalk is probably a must, especially for those who've never been here. However, there is better food and entertainment at other locations.

I will highly suggest The Cove, check it out online.
Some say that Rosarios downtown has the best margaritas in town, it is personal preference though.
The food at the Pearl (insert any restaurant here) is all good/great.

The Bier Garten is directly across from the Alamo. They have a small German menu but real German Bier on tap!

The Riverwalk is probably a must, especially for those who've never been here. However, there is better food and entertainment at other locations.

I will highly suggest The Cove, check it out online.
Some say that Rosarios downtown has the best margaritas in town, it is personal preference though.
The food at the Pearl (insert any restaurant here) is all good/great.

yeah, we really only have a few hours saturday night and with a vast majority never visiting before, the riverwalk makes sense. There will be plenty of good food the rest of the trip.

Need to keep this thread focused on briggs ranch though

yeah, we really only have a few hours saturday night and with a vast majority never visiting before, the riverwalk makes sense. There will be plenty of good food the rest of the trip.

Need to keep this thread focused on briggs ranch though
Of course, I was only making suggestions for Saturday after Quarry pre-round.

Just reviewed the first 4 holes of the Youtube flyover. CANNOT wait!!! Will continue to watch throughout day.

Going to be such a fun course for the big competition events coming here next year.

Putting will be a necessity. Lots of strategy plays off the tee. Great setting around 18 for matches that get there.

@JB you have something to plan for the Morgan Cup

Miss U GIF

I really love this place as whole. I've had a lot of time to think about it since coming back. I mean, is there any other way to fall asleep than reliving golf courses?

Keep in mind, I've only been to Ballyhack and Briggs, so my evaluation in comparison to all of the Dormie Network's properties is going to be kind of incomplete.

The amount of things to do here is really staggering compared to somewhere like Bally. While the 18th green at Bally is a fun way to spend an evening, it's really nothing in comparison to what Briggs has going on. Aside from the practice green being massive, it's varied in slope/elevation and presents the opportunity for so many different ways to practice. You can work on chips and greenside pitches, multiple types of bunkers shots, 50-75 yard pitches to flags on a relatively flat surface. Uphill, downhill and flat lies. It's just impressive.

Then, you have a really nice range, though it doesn't seem to photograph that well. Other than this one, of course.
IMG_7688.JPG

Then, if you're totally not into golf-related activities, you have access to so many different fun things to do. Golden Tee, axes, corn hole, ping pong, pool, etc. It's like the ultimate guys trip facility.

I really love this place as whole. I've had a lot of time to think about it since coming back. I mean, is there any other way to fall asleep than reliving golf courses?

Keep in mind, I've only been to Ballyhack and Briggs, so my evaluation in comparison to all of the Dormie Network's properties is going to be kind of incomplete.

The amount of things to do here is really staggering compared to somewhere like Bally. While the 18th green at Bally is a fun way to spend an evening, it's really nothing in comparison to what Briggs has going on. Aside from the practice green being massive, it's varied in slope/elevation and presents the opportunity for so many different ways to practice. You can work on chips and greenside pitches, multiple types of bunkers shots, 50-75 yard pitches to flags on a relatively flat surface. Uphill, downhill and flat lies. It's just impressive.

Then, you have a really nice range, though it doesn't seem to photograph that well. Other than this one, of course.
View attachment 9221660

Then, if you're totally not into golf-related activities, you have access to so many different fun things to do. Golden Tee, axes, corn hole, ping pong, pool, etc. It's like the ultimate guys trip facility.
Nice photo there showing off the brilliance of headwear.
I am not sure I have been to a course that photographs less intrigue and want than Briggs Ranch.
I still believe ArborLinks offers the most "other things" with their basement featuring Table Tennis and Billiards indoors, but Briggs is right there with it.
Its also extremely playable for all skill levels. Its just not as visually stunning as other properties.

As for the actual golf course, my feelings on it go back and forth. It's not as visually impressive as Ballyhack and maybe lacks some of the very interesting holes that Bally is full of. Compared to Bally, that starts off with a couples views that just blow your mind, Briggs begins a little slow and a little hard. The first two holes are tough. It really starts to open up with the stretch between 3 and 7. I'd say 4 is one of the best holes on the course. So easy, so hard. 6 is wonderful as well.

The back starts off almost the opposite. The tee shot on 10 looks amazing and the same theme repeats itself a handful of times until 18, which again is very nice visually.

Not all that hard. Shorter hitters can keep up with longer hitters (to some extent) because of speed slots and firm/tight fairways. Putting will challenge you, and I personally think the bunkering is a big challenge. Great course for a competition, offering tons of different options for varying skill levels and abilities. Going to be a fun year seeing THP'rs tackle it.

Nice photo there showing off the brilliance of headwear.
I am not sure I have been to a course that photographs less intrigue and want than Briggs Ranch.
I still believe ArborLinks offers the most "other things" with their basement featuring Table Tennis and Billiards indoors, but Briggs is right there with it.
Its also extremely playable for all skill levels. Its just not as visually stunning as other properties.
Arbor is big on my list of places I hope to see in 24.

As for the actual golf course, my feelings on it go back and forth. It's not as visually impressive as Ballyhack and maybe lacks some of the very interesting holes that Bally is full of. Compared to Bally, that starts off with a couples views that just blow your mind, Briggs begins a little slow and a little hard. The first two holes are tough. It really starts to open up with the stretch between 3 and 7. I'd say 4 is one of the best holes on the course. So easy, so hard. 6 is wonderful as well.

The back starts off almost the opposite. The tee shot on 10 looks amazing and the same theme repeats itself a handful of times until 18, which again is very nice visually.

Not all that hard. Shorter hitters can keep up with longer hitters (to some extent) because of speed slots and firm/tight fairways. Putting will challenge you, and I personally think the bunkering is a big challenge. Great course for a competition, offering tons of different options for varying skill levels and abilities. Going to be a fun year seeing THP'rs tackle it.
Outside of #10, It does lack the elevation changes that central Texas/hill country is known for. Along with the native scrub brush areas it Definitely makes it less photogenic.

Defense is definitely in the green complexes.

Agree about the back 9, visually it's much better with a great stretch of holes. I wish they would have done something different with #1 and #2. It's kind of a clunker of a start that doesn't flow with the rest of the course. Somehow starting off at #3 or 4 would really change the mindset.

Outside of #10, It does lack the elevation changes that central Texas/hill country is known for. Along with the native scrub brush areas it Definitely makes it less photogenic.

Defense is definitely in the green complexes.

Agree about the back 9, visually it's much better with a great stretch of holes. I wish they would have done something different with #1 and #2. It's kind of a clunker of a start that doesn't flow with the rest of the course

My thought on the evolution is that quite a few holes have the elevation in spots you are hitting over, so you don't notice it as much. Conversely, Ballyhack will have the bottom of a big hill as a landing area, forcing you hit the ball to a very elevated green or hit a giant downhill tee shot.

I do think 1&2 need something, especially 1.

Back