Wet compacted bunkers

So Freddie, the one time I came in steep on hardpan the results were decent but I thought I was going to snap the clubhead and I hurt my wrist.
I've been thinking hardpan this whole time as well.

So are you also playing fried-eggs with an open face (using the bounce) and swinging fast and steep??

Yesterday I played a miserable 7 holes. So miserable that I walked off after 7 after paying for 9.
Anyway, I found myself in a green side bunker that was compacted and with wet sand. My lie was good and I felt my stance was good. Ball forward in stance to get the lift, 60/40 weight on lead leg, 58* in hand with an open face.

First swing I got it up, hit the lip, and rolled back down in the same exact spot I originally hit it in. Second hit, lip, back down. Third hit lip and back down. It wasn't until the fourth hit did I finally get out of that mess.

How would I play this ball. Did I plan right but had a poor execution? Or was everything wrong and I set myself up for failure?

I open my face as wide as possible.
Bend quite a bit with both knees with a wider than normal stance, open to my target.
Break my wrists quickly in the backswing and get steep.
Drive into the sand flinging the head through as fast as possible.

Assuming I haven't just skulled the ball, this usually works great out of wet sand.

Ditto... I've had my club bounce into the ball when trying to use the club face open several times on hard bunkers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I open my face as wide as possible.
Bend quite a bit with both knees with a wider than normal stance, open to my target.
Break my wrists quickly in the backswing and get steep.
Drive into the sand flinging the head through as fast as possible.

Assuming I haven't just skulled the ball, this usually works great out of wet sand.
Same plan for hardpan lies?

Wet compact sand is complete differnt then hard pan. The OP titled the thread 'wet compact sand', where is the confusion?

So Freddie, the one time I came in steep on hardpan the results were decent but I thought I was going to snap the clubhead and I hurt my wrist.
Thought? Did you injure yourself or did you pull off the shot?

Wet compact sand is complete differnt then hard pan. The OP titled the thread 'wet compact sand', where is the confusion?
On my end. I read "wet and compact" and thought hardpan

Thought? Did you injure yourself or did you pull off the shot?
Both, I got good results but the sand was so packed down it was jarring, hurt my wrist a little. Luckily it was #17.

Don't open the face. Keep it square. The bounce of the wedge was causing the leading edge to come into the ball, not under it.

I agree.

I didn't pull off and I got good results but the sand was so packed down it was jarring, hurt my wrist a little. Luckily it was #17.
Ok, there is a vast difference between hard pan which is hard, dried sand. It's like cement. I've never played out of a bunker like that. I have played off hard pan and I take a very shallow pass and nip the legs out from under.

Wet compact sand requires a steep descending blow.

Ok, there is a vast difference between hard pan which is hard, dried sand. It's like cement. I've never played out of a bunker like that. I have played off hard pan and I take a very shallow pass and nip the legs out from under.

Thanks Freddie, and that's exactly what it was although it looked wet and I didn't realize how hard it was. Ever since then I do exactly what you described.

Freddie, should the swing speed change at all out of wet sand? I find with wet sand where the ball is sitting right on the top, I try to take the same amount of sand, but there is less resistance from the wet sand than dry fluffy sand, so I don't need as much speed to get the ball out.

Every once in a while, I come across hard pan lies in bunkers. It makes me sad.

Freddie, should the swing speed change at all out of wet sand? I find with wet sand where the ball is sitting right on the top, I try to take the same amount of sand, but there is less resistance from the wet sand than dry fluffy sand, so I don't need as much speed to get the ball out.
I like to cut the legs out from under the ball but that is learned through trial and errors. The club should move away from the ball outside the line. And cut across to get max height and spin.

I like to cut the legs out from under the ball but that is learned through trial and errors. The club should move away from the ball outside the line. And cut across to get max height and spin.
Ah the good old trial and error. I still try to cut across the ball like you do.

Ah the good old trial and error. I still try to cut across the ball like you do.
It's a very short, quick swing. All speed and hitting under the ball. The ball spin, shoots forward and stops. The sand has a very shallow divot. Speed is everything in this shot.

It's a very short, quick swing. All speed and hitting under the ball. The ball spin, shoots forward and stops. The sand has a very shallow divot. Speed is everything in this shot.
That's a better description of what I try to do. Still fast just shorter.

I struggled with this the last two rounds, I play very early in the AM and I'm usually the first one in the trap after the GK have raked and watered the trap - Glad there is an archive of great information on this site.
Now I have to find away to save it or print it out so that I can go back and refer to it.

Yesterday I played a miserable 7 holes. So miserable that I walked off after 7 after paying for 9.
Anyway, I found myself in a green side bunker that was compacted and with wet sand. My lie was good and I felt my stance was good. Ball forward in stance to get the lift, 60/40 weight on lead leg, 58* in hand with an open face.

First swing I got it up, hit the lip, and rolled back down in the same exact spot I originally hit it in. Second hit, lip, back down. Third hit lip and back down. It wasn't until the fourth hit did I finally get out of that mess.

How would I play this ball. Did I plan right but had a poor execution? Or was everything wrong and I set myself up for failure?

You just had me relive the 11th Hole on Friday. Thanks for that. :banghead: :D

Back