What area of the US is the holy land for Golf?

where's that? can we get on? when do you want to play?
Probably courtesy of a Google search a couple years ago :LOL: but if we find out where and if we can get on, I’m in!

Probably courtesy of a Google search a couple years ago :LOL: but if we find out where and if we can get on, I’m in!
ha! just saw the date....

anything you like in the western part of the state?

ha! just saw the date....

anything you like in the western part of the state?
I actually haven’t played west of Harrisburg, but I know of and have heard good things about Omni Bedford, Olde stonewall, and Nemacolin

holy land could mean many things to different people

Myrtle is near my top because it is relatively low cost, frequently great weather and over 100 choices. I like the Scottsdale area as well in certain seasons. I've not done Northern Michigan but i'm told by friends I'm missing out

lots of choices, courses for all budgets, courses for all Handi's and nice weather is my driver

Any place that doesn't have year round golf is automatically disqualified from "Holy Land" consideration, IMO. There are a lot of places with great courses, but if I can only play them 5 or 6 months out of the year I'm missing a lot of golf.

Any place that doesn't have year round golf is automatically disqualified from "Holy Land" consideration, IMO. There are a lot of places with great courses, but if I can only play them 5 or 6 months out of the year I'm missing a lot of golf.
My thoughts exactly. I need to be able to tee it up 12 months a year in Golf Mecca.

I sorta agree if truely the place is under snow for extended periods of time but some would argue that the valley of the sun is not playable June thru Oct. I would disagree but clearly this is the off season. Then we have the home of golf and my father described for me the daily weather he had and such weather in my area and virtually no one is playing.

For me I’d have to see Pinehurst area. A crazy amount of good courses in such a small area and a pretty rich history.

In the US, Florida has to be the golf holy land, but Augusta GA is Mecca for golf in the US for me.
Outside the US it is St. Andrews

Bandon/Central Oregon has to be #1 on my list but I have always wanted to hit Carolina and agree that Wisconsin is generally pretty nice.
Love them both but they are two different geographic regions of the state. Not sure it’s fair to lump them together.

I am a little surprised there hasn’t been more love for Florida

I would say the Sandhills on NC all the way to the coast/Myrtle Beach. The amount of top tier courses in a 2+ hour drive is staggering.
IMG_0346.png

Love them both but they are two different geographic regions of the state. Not sure it’s fair to lump them together.
Probably not fair to lump Bandon with Bend/SunRiver but that part of Oregon is pretty awesome too.

I think it's Oregon, Wisconsin or Myrtle Beach depending on your preferences and location.

Living in the NYC area I would say there is no way this area or long Island can be considered the mecca of golf. There is great golf here but it is extremely inaccessible (unless you are a hedge fund manager or have many friends in high places). Factor in the terrible traffic during the warmer months and lack of reasonable resort accommodations, and this area in my opinion should be avoided.

Are people really selecting areas that are covered with snow half the year? That’s a tough holy land. 🤣

I am a little surprised there hasn’t been more love for Florida

I'm a fan of Florida but not so much Florida golf courses. don't like the fairways much or the greens vs other parts of the country. when I try and play during the winter, the courses like everything else can be very crowded. We do play but when I talk to my friends I tell them about the fishing I did that week not so much the golf.

So true @RealPretendPsychic! What course is that

As far as the original question goes, there are really a ton, but a few places come to mind for me. Budgets vary wildly, but all have at least 3 or 4 world class courses in close proximity...

Monterey, CA
San Diego, CA
Bandon, OR
Kohler, WI
Pinehurst area, NC
Ozarks, MO
Scottsdale, AZ
Las Vegas, NV/St George, UT
Myrtle Beach to Charleston, SC
West Palm Beach, FL

I'm definitely missing some. There are a lot.
Agree with Monterey

Monterey Peninsula / Carmel, CA:

Public/Resort
  • Pebble Beach
  • Spyglass Hill
  • Links at Spanish Bay
  • Poppy Hills
  • Pacific Grove
  • Black Horse
  • Bayonet
  • Del Monte
  • Quail Lodge
Private
  • Cypress Point
  • Monterey Peninsula Dunes
  • Monterey Peninsula Shores
I know there are more, but that's what I could come up with.

This is the answer

Back