What area of the US is the holy land for Golf?

I’ll take myrtle from my life experience.

there’s certainly some great golf, but there’s also a lot of decent golf in a very small area that makes it fun to trip there

But the NY area has the quality.
Are there many populated areas in the US that don’t have quality?

and to add to this question, is the quality in NY accessible to public play at a price that doesn’t rival some mortgages?

Holy land is a tough choice but MB is the best bang for the bucks.

Every single one of those courses listed for CT are private. I've never played one of them.
When I'm asked why I have made 27 trips to GB&I to play golf.....Because they let you play their very best courses without knowing a member. The question was where is the Holy Land...Not where is the Holy Land of public golf. Playing Maidstone on Wednesday. But gotta be first off at 7:30 and it's a 4 hour drive. Be a long day.

When I'm asked why I have made 27 trips to GB&I to play golf.....Because they let you play their very best courses without knowing a member. The question was where is the Holy Land...Not where is the Holy Land of public golf. Playing Maidstone on Wednesday. But gotta be first off at 7:30 and it's a 4 hour drive. Be a long day.

When I think of a literal "holy land" eg mecca, Jerusalem it has to be accessible to the masses of that particular faith (in this case the devoted practitioners of golf).

If a place is only available to and accessed by a privileged few then it cannot be a holy land. Would be more of a mythical place...

Just my opinion of course.

Just to be different I think I’ll go with Branson, Missouri.

The golf holy land is the Villages
More golf than anyplace else
Completely free for residents for life
and people go and never leave

Myrtle beach. if not then Cal or FL.

Wish I could have talked Julie into moving there in 2019 ;)

I'm a fan of Florida but not so much Florida golf courses. don't like the fairways much or the greens vs other parts of the country. when I try and play during the winter, the courses like everything else can be very crowded. We do play but when I talk to my friends I tell them about the fishing I did that week not so much the golf.

Agree, I probably fish and boat/kayaking more than I play golf and I can do all year round.

Global warming

Come correct, sir! It is no longer called that! The disciples insist upon "climate change"!

Oh, they leave eventually. It's just feet first.

• Eye Roll
Reactions: JB
Myrtle, Bandon, NC maybe with Dormie, Pinehurst and TR all close.

Eye of the beholder: Mississippi Gulf Coast. Lots of good to great golf courses in close proximity. Gets a lot of Snowbirds and they are welcomed.

Last edited:
I am going to say The Carolinas. Awesome golf there.

If you like very old golf courses, the wider Boston area is tough to beat. I've played a couple that were built in the 1890s, that Francis Ouimet played.

On a side note, when Royal Governor William Dummer arrived in Massachusetts in 1728, he brought along nine "goffe clubs".

and to add to this question, is the quality in NY accessible to public play at a price that doesn’t rival some mortgages?

I took the question as to the"holy land" not necessarily where the average Joe can play.

I took the question as to the"holy land" not necessarily where the average Joe can play.
I took it as "your holy land" a bit more than "the" holy land (which I thought was the UK haha)

Just surprised at the NY comments considering how inaccessible a lot of that golf seems to be.

Back