What chipping technique do you use?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
With the massive short game clinic that I'm going through right now, I have spent a lot of time on chipping. I was originally taught to chip with an open stance, ball back and use almost a putting motion but beyond that, I really had no idea how to gauge what club I should be using and relied on feel a lot. As you can tell by my handicap and the fact that I'm going through a short game clinic, that hasn't worked out for me very well.

My instructor took me out and had me walk around the green a bit and dropped a few balls in different lies and at different distances and just took me around and explained theory behind chipping, what club should be used in different situations and really stressed aimpoints instead of looking at the flag. We spent a good 15 minutes just talking about chipping, but I was learning a lot.

When it came time to actually hit balls, he had me take a more neutral stance, barely open with the feet, but shoulders square and instead of trying to putt the ball, he had me use body rotation instead. It was very odd at first, but I noticed a different ballflight immediately. Even with lower lofted clubs (I would have never chipped with a 6 iron before today) contact sounded and felt very different to me and the ball actually got higher than I was used to. This produced a much more consistent distance with each club. We ran through every club from SW to 6 iron and I chipped with each one to gauge the ballflight and distances. I believe that this is going to make me much better at chipping as long as I put the work in.

So what kind of chipping technique works for you?

Are you an open stance guy like I used to be? A square guy like I'm trying to become? Use a putting motion? Handsy? How would you describe your chips and is it working for you?

Somewhat open, ball back and turn back and through to have chest facing target at finish. I pick my target area as close to me as I can and then pick the club that will land the ball in that target area and roll all the way to the pin. I enjoy big breaking chips as they are the most fun to me.

I always open my stance and use what you would probably call more of a putting stroke. One thing my Father-n-Law always tells me is to get the ball on the putting surface as soon as you can.

I always open my stance and use what you would probably call more of a putting stroke. One thing my Father-n-Law always tells me is to get the ball on the putting surface as soon as you can.

Yeah, the goal for me was 3 yards on the green, no matter what the shot was. Varying the club to get the necessary rollout distance. I never realized how tough it was to land the ball 3 yards on the green until he put a club at 2 yards that I had to make it over.

I follow Stockton's techniques and it's works great for me

​Determining roll out is the hardest part for me.

What chipping technique do you use?

Depends on the shot. Sometimes open sometimes square. How much wrist and hands I use is also determined by the type of shot and distance needed. I would describe myself as very proficient with chipping around the greens and it works very well for me. Not sure what kind of style that would be.

Typically a slightly open stance. The main thing I think about when chipping is hitting down on the ball and "clipping" it off the turf. Depending on what kind of roll action I want and the turf conditions, sometimes I'll use a square face and sometimes I'll open it slightly (either to minimize digging or to get it to stop quicker). If I really want an aggressive roll, I'll club up to a PW or 8 iron to get it moving.

Open stance with feet/hips but square shoulders. Ball placement is dependent on type of shot I want to hit (back for low, forward for high and just off inside of back foot normally). Club selection will depend on the type of shot as well, 9i or pw for most longer chips and 50 or 54 for shorter ones. Will use 58 if I need to carry something. Goal is to get ball on the green as quickly as possible and let it roll out like a putt. I find 1/3 of the way to the hole and hit whatever club will land there and roll out

I play a little open but not much, ball position has more to do with the type of pitch I want to hit. Back in the stance for a little more rollout or towards the front for a higher drop and stop.

I have always played for the roll out. This year though, I have started to pinch the ball better under the right conditions, so I can sometimes get it back to the pin. Percentages are with the roll out for me though.

JM

On a chip I am usually middle/back of my stance so not quite all the way back on my back foot. I am open and will usually make a modified putting motion to get some rollout. Usually chip with my 7iron or my gap wedge depending on lie and distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually set up just slightly open, and play for the rollout as much as I can. Very little wrist action.

Pro told me to use a putter or 5 iron for all shots 20 yards or less.Use a putting stance and stroke

I use more of a feet closer together slightly open and use the rotation of my body for the shot. My heels have about 8" between them and inner foot about 10". Obviously it depends on the lie but that is what I try to accomplish and has worked quite well for me. Its how I was taught when i was younger so it what I have still been doing.

Open stance with feet/hips but square shoulders. Ball placement is dependent on type of shot I want to hit (back for low, forward for high and just off inside of back foot normally). Club selection will depend on the type of shot as well, 9i or pw for most longer chips and 50 or 54 for shorter ones. Will use 58 if I need to carry something. Goal is to get ball on the green as quickly as possible and let it roll out like a putt. I find 1/3 of the way to the hole and hit whatever club will land there and roll out

This is what I do as well, everyone situation is different but stroke is pretty similar

A little body is a good thing.

I'll use anything from a hybrid to a wedge around the green. Each lie is different. The lower you can keep it, the better off you are. I only go high when I have to.

I like to bump and run when I can with my 9i and use a putting motion. When I need to chip over something or am to far to bump and run I use my 60 and play the ball in the center of my stance or a tad towards my right foot. But if I am not to far off the green I will simply putt. I do very well at it and often better than the chip would have ended.

I use a square stance, weight on lead foot, ball center of the stance, and I use the body to swing with very little wrist cock. I've tried every method but this works the best for my abilities.

I try to use the bounce of the club as much as possible, mostly chip with a 54 or 58 depending on how wet/dry the course is.

I use the method in James Sieckmann book.

I use open stance, hands forward, 8i and let the ball do the work.

Open stance,choke down to the shaft and put a putting stroke on it

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Open stance, ball back and hands forward. I'm very inconsistent right now, I have a bad habit of decelerating at impact sometimes and I'm working hard to correct it.

Back