What do you look for when buying a new putter?

Howzat

I'd Rather Be At The Hideaway
Reaction score
What draws you in and caused you to buy the putter that is now in your bag or you are currently pondering?

- Brand?
- THP reviews?
- Finish?
- Shape?
- Insert?
- Paint Fill?
- Tech Story?
- Tour Usage?

- Brand? Nope
- THP reviews? Nope
- Finish? Nope
- Shape? Nope
- Insert? Nope
- Paint Fill? Nope
- Tech Story? Nope
- Tour Usage? Nope

I appreciate the art aspect of putters and I am a sucker for a good looking putter. For me it is about performance and fitting my stroke type. The putter that is in my bag is there because it gives me the best chance to start the ball on my intended line.

- Brand? Nope
- THP reviews? Nope
- Finish? Nope
- Shape? Nope
- Insert? Nope
- Paint Fill? Nope
- Tech Story? Nope
- Tour Usage? Nope

I appreciate the art aspect of putters and I am a sucker for a good looking putter. For me it is about performance and fitting my stroke type. The putter that is in my bag is there because it gives me the best chance to start the ball on my intended line.

With so many putters on the market, how does one even start the search without narrowing it down with non-performance related factors?

Putters are just so much fun and for me no one or two things can dictate what I buy. I own some beautiful pieces of craftsmanship, I own some botched works of art, and I own some flat out ugly putters that just plain work. If something about it appeals to me I may just buy it and keep it in the backup bag for no good reason.

Ultimately though a putter has to make putts if it's going to be in the gamer bag. Missing putts with a $4000 Scameron is less fun than making putts with a $50 Odyssey.

- Brand? No
- THP reviews? Yes, to a degree
- Finish? Not a deal breaker but can put it on my radar
- Shape? Yes. this is usually a big deal to me.
- Insert? Don't really care
- Paint Fill? No, although if it doesn't resonate with me it can be a deal breaker
- Tech Story? Not usually, but i guess sometimes it can catch my eye if thp brings it to my attention
- Tour Usage? not consciously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it fit my eye. Does it sound/feel good. Does it roll quickly. Does it look good.

That's it.

With so many putters on the market, how does one even start the search without narrowing it down with non-performance related factors?

I don't narrow it down. I am willing to try anything that I see regardless of any of those items. If I am in a store or playing with someone that has something I haven't tied I will give it a chance. There are some easy ways to evaluate performance. I also have someone that I consider a really good putting instructor that has helped me understand putting design and how the putting stroke works which also makes it easier.

Also your question is about what caused me to buy or is influencing me on a putter I might be pondering. That answer is performance.

Finish
Shape
It's made in Canada
Price

I don't narrow it down. I am willing to try anything that I see regardless of any of those items. If I am in a store or playing with someone that has something I haven't tied I will give it a chance. There are some easy ways to evaluate performance. I also have someone that I consider a really good putting instructor that has helped me understand putting design and how the putting stroke works which also makes it easier.

Also your question is about what caused me to buy or is influencing me on a putter I might be pondering. That answer is performance.

I get the performance being the #1 factor for you. I just don't have the time or patience to try everything on the market. Therefore I end up narrowing it down my looks, reviews, etc. and then test out the performance to see if it will find it's way into the bag.

Feel
Shape
Eye appeal
Sound

Does it fit my eye. Does it sound/feel good. Does it roll quickly. Does it look good.

That's it.
Yep i like this. Short and simple and exactly how i choose.

Now sometimes all the boxes are checked and i just putt like crap with it, was the case with the #9 for me. So ive tried to look at all those things Jman mentioned and then see if im actually making putts with it. Moving from the #9 which i liked to the face balanced Queen Bee, im making soooo many more putts. Could be mental idk but its working well.

I get the performance being the #1 factor for you. I just don't have the time or patience to try everything on the market. Therefore I end up narrowing it down my looks, reviews, etc. and then test out the performance to see if it will find it's way into the bag.

In my mind it doesn't take that long. If you are looking at putter just for looks or reviews, you might miss the ideal putter for your game. While I play golf for fun, I want to be able to play the best golf I can and I pick my equipment to help me. I used to change putters constantly and chose based on brand or looks or what someone else said then I learned that might not help me play better and may cause me to play worse.

As per the other Putter thread, I only care how it rolls the ball in the hole. Everything else is just secondary and may lead me to the Putter only.

If I'm ever in the market for a putter I approach things with more of an open mind than perhaps any other club. I'll try anything, absolutely anything. Ugly, shiny, dark, sexy. No one factor means most to me, weight, balance, feel appearance, they all factor in but it's just one of those when I know, I know moments.

only bought a putter once but went completely off what felt good. I should probably try some others, currently pondering going and trying out a 2 ball i saw at the pawn shop

What draws you in and caused you to buy the putter that is now in your bag or you are currently pondering?

- Brand?
- THP reviews?
- Finish?
- Shape?
- Insert?
- Paint Fill?
- Tech Story?
- Tour Usage?

All of it. Seriously, all of it. For instance I just finished writing a piece for the home page tomorrow on putters and I can't wait to read the reviews from THPers on it. What brought me in to that line was looks, tech story, shape, etc.

With Cure it was tech story and watching a couple of tour pros personally on the putting green drain 10 ten foot putts in a row with it and then putting it in my hands. I think the total package brings it all for me.

Head shape, neck, finish, type of steel and face milling. The head shape draws me in then I immediately look to see if it has a flow neck.

Overall looks (finish/shape/paintfill), brand, and hosel style.

Shape, overall look and feel.

Shape, (it is going to be a blade putter) feel (read weight) I don't like a really heavy putter, and it just works/feels comfortable to me. I love my 2135 and have no plans to replace it.

I got my last one on how it felt in hand. It gave me the smooth stroke I was looking for. I really want to try an even roll but they are currently way out of my budget

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

- Brand?
- THP reviews?
- Finish?
- Shape?
- Insert?
- Paint Fill?
- Tech Story?
- Tour Usage?

Engagement with THP.
Partnership/Acquisition by a company I'm fond of.
Great review on THP.
Shape.
Finish.

Post acquisition why it remains in the bag..
Tech story.
Shape.
THP engagement.
Brand rep.
Birdies.

5%Brand
7.5% THP reviews
20% Finish
50% Shape
0% Insert (No inserts please)
10% Paint Fill
7.5 % Tech Story
0% Tour Usage?

For the most important factor is the shape. If I don't find the design appealing....no way.I need to like the finish as well.

I like to roll and demo putters before trying them. Looks are key, I have to be attracted to it before I roll it unless it's recommended. Then feel and weight is crucial for me.

I stuck with Odyssey for years but got turned on to a Yes putter recently and like the roll. Price is a factor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back