What golf achievement were you the most proud of in 2019?

Simply taking up the game. I played a little back in my early 20’s but had not touched a club for 30 years. Never thought I’d enjoy the game so much.

For me it was playing as much as I did. It was definitely fun & I once again found a spark for the game I love so much!

I come away pretty happy that despite my complete lack of practice, and playing less in 2019 - I feel like my ceiling as a player is higher. Sure I find a way to crap the bed most rounds, but man am I hitting some great shots and putting some great runs together.
I used to feel like I was a 7 cap who could never get any lower, but now I feel like I'm an 8 cap who really could be a 4 if I ever got my ish together.

I come away pretty happy that despite my complete lack of practice, and playing less in 2019 - I feel like my ceiling as a player is higher. Sure I find a way to crap the bed most rounds, but man am I hitting some great shots and putting some great runs together.
I used to feel like I was a 7 cap who could never get any lower, but now I feel like I'm an 8 cap who really could be a 4 if I ever got my ish together.

Lower than a 4 is in there!

THP Ship in CAD of course. Always enjoy traveling to play golf!

2019 was a great year for me. I broke 40 a few times on 9 holes. My cap has come down to a 13.8 and was a 24 in May. I have worked really hard and played as much as possible To achieve that.

I surpassed the goals I set for myself. A couple times. I was pretty excited to get to scratch, so I'll go with that.

For me it was playing as much as I did. It was definitely fun & I once again found a spark for the game I love so much!

Quoting for truth. It was great just to be playing more often and loving the heck out of it.

Played a lights out back 9 at a course that absolutely would eat my lunch.
3 under on the back, throwing absolute darts.

Highlight of my year!

I was with 11 other guys playing the par 3 course The Sand Box at Sand Valley. I ended up shooting the best round out of everyone and had the most birdies.

Shot my age for the first time, 66.

Finally joining some meetup groups which will hopefully enable me to get out and meet some new people and play more this year as I still don't have that many friends after moving country a few years ago.

2019 will always be remembered as the year I fell in love with golf. Like REALLY fell in love.

I played a lot in my early 20s (15 years ago) but life and being a touring musician took over. In early 2019 I played my first round in 15 years and it’s the 2nd best thing I did all year..... the only thing that tops my new found love for golf is the birth of our first daughter. I’d say that’s “high praise.” I never thought I’d love a game so much, but I know that golf will forever be a HUGE part of my life from now on. I could make a whole thread on why, but I’m sure you all understand....

As for my best achievement? There have been quite a few....

1) Driving the green on a short 270 yard par 4 to 10 feet and sinking the eagle putt. I still get exited thinking about that tee shot typing this.

2) Making birdie on the #1 handicap hole at my favorite muni.

041B7899-2E5C-48A8-AAEE-B31643295369.png
As you can see it’s a tough tight hole. Water left, trees and a bunker right, and quite long for a high handicap player. Not to mention the bunkers guarding the front of the green and long is dead. Hit my drive right where the “target” is and then hit a soft 6 iron to within inches of the cup. Boom birdie!

3) finishing + 5 over 9 holes just last week on New Year’s Eve. It was 40 degrees out and 15-20mph winds. I got out at 8am and played the best round of my life. I won’t play that well for a while.... it was magical.

2019 was easily my best year on earth .... man it was a hell of a year. Thank you THP for helping fuel my obsession for golf.

2019 will always be remembered as the year I fell in love with golf. Like REALLY fell in love.

As you can see it’s a tough tight hole.
Congrats on that hole! Great work.

Can I ask what app that screenshot is from?

Congrats on that hole! Great work.

Can I ask what app that screenshot is from?
18 birdies. It’s such a good app IMO. can track stats, take notes on holes, do all sorts of stuff. It’s free but I pay for the premium version to support them. Not sure what the difference is honestly.

I am not good at math but that seems like a net 56! :oops: Wow! That is awesome
It was so thrilling, bro. Like a lot of us I grew up playing any sport that I could (especially early). There have only been three times in all of the times that I've played a sport that I was in what we would call "the zone" (at least as far as our playing capabilities).

The first was when I was 11 playing baseball. I was, typically, the SS on that team but I used to practice pitching like no one's business in my front yard. I had my step dad build up a make shift mound in our front yard and my "strike zone" was a pole on our fence with two horizontal lines spray painted on it. If I hit the pole it was a strike. If I missed the pole it was a ball (so my strike zone was literally about 20 inches tall and about 3 inches wide). I would do this for hours and (not so) coincidentally my coach had to drive past our house everyday to get to his. He never mentioned it to me and I never mentioned it to him but he saw me "putting in the work". We were in the semifinal game to see who would go to the City Championship and youth pitchers at that time (I have no idea how they do it now) were on a pitch count. All of our starting pitchers (three) would have been ineligible to play the championship game if they threw another pitch. We were up by one run in the bottom of the 9th with two battters on base and no outs and my coach called timeout to make the pitching change and walked straight out to me at SS asked if I thought I could handle the mound for 3 outs. I was freaking the f**k out. I'd never pitched in a game before. I'd never pitched against a batter before. But I told him that I thought I could do it. He said I know you can. For the first two batters I didn't miss a single pitch. Struck them both out with six pitches. The last batter was known throughout Little League as "The Babe". He held the home run record for all three years that I played in Little League. I don't remember his last name but his first name was Mike. I got nervous but I was still pitching pretty damned solid. My first two pitches were solid, solid strikes and he was swinging out of his shoes to send one over the fence. I got cocky trying to get him to chase the pitch. Too cocky, as it turned out because before I knew it we were at a full count. The guy playing catcher was our star pitcher and he gave the signal to pitch high and outside. I did just that except it was high and just a tad INSIDE. I just knew I was going to tag the kid and I was going to have to pitch to loaded bases and all of my teammates' season on the line. It was like life in slow motion. He stared that pitch down and took a Casey Jones swing at it. He missed. My team actually carried my punk ass off the field. Still one of the most thrilling moments of my life. My step dad told me after the game that the coach had asked how my pitch was looking before the game. My step dad, of course, said I'd be ready if he needed me. Neither one of them said a word to me about it before the game. It's a good thing because I would have psyched myself out.

The second was as a sophomore in high school playing football. I was on the JV team. On that team it didn't matter how good your were. If you weren't a Jr. or a Sr., you played JV. I played both RB and CB. I was never a big dude (quite the opposite, in fact) but I was quick as ****. I wasn't the fastest guy on the field but more often than not, the quickest. At the high school level that usually affords you some space to make some big plays (especially at RB). There was nothing really of significance about the game (as far as championships or playoffs on the line). In fact it was only about 4 games into the season. The Varsity team lost their starting RB in the second game to a broken leg. about two weeks later they lost their second string guy to an ankle sprain. They had a third guy in line but he was slow as the day is long and did nothing but plow into the middle of the line. The varsity coach pulled me aside after practice early in the week and asked if I "wanted to play with the big dogs". f**k yeah, I do! I'm actually surprised that he let me play in the game, to be honest. I had a less than stellar week of practice and thought for sure he'd pull the plug come game time. But he stayed the course and I played.............really damned well. I rushed for 263 yards and 3 TDs. We threw the ball 8 times total in that game. I carried the ball 36 out of 42 rushes. We actually lost that game by a field goal but that whole night it just seemed like the holes to run through were like highways. I felt unstoppable. Next week I was back on the JV squad. :ROFLMAO:

And the last, of course being the 82. Believe it or not, I could feel it coming. I had shot my previous PB at The Legacy a few weeks earlier (88) and actually shot a pair of 82s at one of our executive courses (par 61) back to back the week before. I knew after each of those rounds that I was "leaving something out there". That's a bit of a brash attitude to have for a guy of my handicap but I could just feel it. When I hit the range that morning everything just felt "right" except the driver. I couldn't hit that thing to save my life. So I made the decision that I was going to move up a box to the blacks (whites on most courses) and tee off with the 4i. I started off pretty decent but nothing super special (par, bogey, par, bogey). I got to the 5th and just went on a run. I shot par the next six holes. The most impressive was on the Par3 10th. I pushed my tee shot waaaay left (I'm a lefty) into an impossible jail shot in the trees. I grabbed my 50*, shut the face down hoping to hit it through about a 4 foot window, catch the greenside slope and trickle on to a short sided pin placement. No problem, right?:ROFLMAO: Well, I actually pulled it off. I left myself about an 8 footer for par and drained it. It was only my second round out with the Stroke Lab 1 and that putter was MONEY the whole day. I drained so many putts for par and bogey that I had no real business making. The course tightens up from 11-18 and my game didn't really keep the pace that it did from 5-10. I stopped tallying my score during the round last season but I knew I was playing a "special round". When I walked off of 18 and sat in the cart to tally my score I was in complete disbelief. I added it up 3 times to make sure I didn't make a mistake. I was walking on air, man. I only hit the driver twice that day (both on holes where it's almost impossible to hit OB) fortunately they were both actually decent drives. but the two things I remember most about that day (as far as "the zone") was how soft my hands were in the short game and the insane day of watching putts just drop. I've tried to replicate the hands in the short game to disastrous results. I think I'm overdoing the softness (if that makes sense). Unfortunately, haven't played anywhere near that well since. I think the closest I've shot since then is a 91. Not long after that had to have colon surgery and that wiped out over a month of playing time. I think I got one or two more rounds in at the end of the season up at y home course (Oct. 13th IIRC) before I teed it up with the guys at the Unofficial Arizona Golf Outing. My game wasn't horrible that weekend but it certainly wasn't good. On to next year (and hopefully a couple of rounds with some THPers down in the Valley before spring).

Not entirely sure which one would be my achievement for the year as I have a couple

Shooting a PB of 74 (+2) at my home course
Getting my handicap down to single figures (9.2)
Shooting sub-80 on a number of different courses during the year

I birdied the stroke index 1 hole at the West Sussex. As a 24 handicapper, I got 2 shots, so it was my first (and only!) 5 point hole.

I managed a 5-point hole once - an eagle on a hole where I got a shot as well
Never managed it since and very much doubt I will manage it again any time soon

Shooting even par on the back 9 of my home course. It was the only time I have been even par for 9 holes.

although it was only one round, my biggest accomplishment was how well i bounced back for one single round in my club championship. It just showed me some things i didnt know i could do.

Doesn't get much better than teaming up with @PETE379 and taking the W in Akron during the Bridgestone event. Our games blended perfectly.

Not much to get excited about. The only thing that comes to mind is I was able to get out and play over 130 times this year.

Not entirely sure which one would be my achievement for the year as I have a couple

Not sure I will ever to do it again. I hit an average drive and then hit a fairway wood which ran and ran as the ground was rick hard. The ball ended on the edge if the green and I hit a 30 foot putt. The combination of t

It arose due to a fortuitous combination of a second shot which ran and ran due to the rock hard ground in the summer and a 30 foot putt. As a high handicapper, I get the occasional four pointer, but I can’t ever see me getting a 5 pointer again.

Back