What golf stuff did you learn today?

Tadashi70

Reaction score
Handicap
I thought a thread that houses all the we know, just found out about, learned about, forgot about golf was needed.

Today was a great day for learning, thanks to JMan. So please share knowledge you have in this thread about golf and all golf things related.

I don't mind some debate but if it gets too big I'll start a thread for that topic. I want people to be able to come in and share with the group. Maybe we will all get a little smarter or dumber.

I'll start:

Sound is directly related to the feel we experience when hitting golf clubs. R&D is behind it and companies invest in it.

Last edited:
I learned that "Play It Forward" also applies to the pro's. They were interviewing Tom Watson after his PGA round today, and he admitted that the course was too long for him, as he was hitting long irons, hybrids and even 3-woods into some of the par 4's. This happens to me and some of my buddies when we play a lot of courses from the white, or middle tees. We normally stick to the senior or "gold" tees.

I learned that "playing through" golfer's elbow is a bad, bad idea.

I learned that playing without keeping score when you're having a bad swing day removes some frustration. Haha

Today I learned that to get my golf game where I want it to be I need to work on my body as much as I work on my game. Tomorrow Trout and I begin the journey. #dropping40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I learned that flaring out the front/lead foot allows weight transition in the downswing to happen more easily and naturally as you are essentially riding your joints instead of going against them like you would be with your foot perpendicular to your target line. This in turn resists over rotation by allowing for the weight transfer.

This combined with pre-setting my hips slightly forward (reverse-k), and dropping my rear foot back slightly has been the key for me to hitting a consistent draw with my driver. Something I've been struggling with for a long time now, despite doing well in other areas.

Love this thread Panda.

I learned most think like I do about "training blades", it just doesn't make much sense.

I also did some research on the effects of bounce with wedges to further my understanding.

I learned that Tiger had no business in attempting to play in the PGA Championship and whoever told him he was ready to return needs to seriously have an integrity check.

I learned the Sarasota/Bradenton area has a lot more golf courses than I thought

Taking the club away low is very important.

Easiest drill ever. Drop a towel a 2 feet behind the ball and try to hit it on your takeaway.

Same concept, but use a water bottle placed on its side more like a foot behind the ball. Try to stay low and come into contact with the bottle so that it rolls straight back away from the ball.

I need to get outside of myself and look at things that can help me with my game instead of being so damn bull headed and chugging along like it's ok...

I learned that 11 under in a scramble is not even close to winning.

I learned I should stop switching putters and just stick with my trusty ol Odyssey DFX. Had only 29 putts today which is a low for me.

Today I stuck a 15 degree #3 fairway wood in my bag and played a practice round teeing off with it as often as possible.
I found that I hit it straighter, and even got better roll out in many cases.....FYI: This may not be your experience as I am a senior player with slower swing speed; I game a 11.5 loft driver with senior flex shaft....so there's not a whole lot of difference between my driver and a 15 degree FW....except in my experience today it was usually at least as long as my driver - with more dead center fairway splitting action....def. going to keep that puppy in me bag!! LOL

I learned that golf giveth and it taketh away.

I learned about using the bounce in pitch shots, and how this will likely help my sand game.

I learnt that no matter how good my approach play, if I can't make 8-10 footers then I won't make birdies

Same concept, but use a water bottle placed on its side more like a foot behind the ball. Try to stay low and come into contact with the bottle so that it rolls straight back away from the ball.

Easiest drill ever. Drop a towel a 2 feet behind the ball and try to hit it on your takeaway.
Hold the V created at address until it gets past the right foot. I preach it til I'm blue in the face

I learned about using the bounce in pitch shots, and how this will likely help my sand game.
Why are you using bounce on pitch shots. Why are you not hitting ball first?

Why are you using bounce on pitch shots. Why are you not hitting ball first?

If I could answer that question, I probably wouldn't suck so much with my wedges. I've had some very poor results with my wedges lately, and my confidence is shot, primarily out of the sand, so looking around for some ideas, using the bounce more was one that stuck out and one that so far seems to be a way to be more consistent. Have yet to actually try it on the course though, so it could be just a flash in the pan.

If I could answer that question, I probably wouldn't suck so much with my wedges. I've had some very poor results with my wedges lately, and my confidence is shot, primarily out of the sand, so looking around for some ideas, using the bounce more was one that stuck out and one that so far seems to be a way to be more consistent. Have yet to actually try it on the course though, so it could be just a flash in the pan.

Are you saying use bounce on pitch shots or out of the sand?

Back