What is your biggest pet peeve in a playing partner?

Someone who needs to play great to have a good time. Nothing worse than a debbie downer partner who can't just enjoy a round once and awhile.

Painfully slow people when there is no reason to be and they end up playing a 4 hour 15 minute round and think that is fine even though the course is empty in front of us,

Scramble partners who leave putts short. Like I care you hit it to 1 foot short to lock up a ****ing par, you really think all 4 of us are going to miss a 4 foot come backer? GTFO and put your purse down before your next putt.

It is funny though reading some others. Club throwing doesn't even bug me in the slightest. Sometimes the club just needs to be put in its place.

Playing slow, constantly screaming at themselves for poor play, and hitting extra balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Talking when I'm swinging or about to start my swing.

As listed, negative attitude, slow play, the unsolicited swing instructor are pretty much all that actually irritate.

Along the lines of slow play, the inefficient use of time mildly irks me too. I repeat, mildly, but it does register.

If someone wants to read a putt from the other side of the hole, go for it. Just starting from over there is a good idea.

When riding in a cart and using laser (I do too) don't just walk out to you ball empty-handed, eye up the shot, then retrieve your rangefinder afterward. Multi-task.

Repeated improper cart placement too. Adding up/assessing score near green rather than next tee. Routinely leaving extra clubs far side of green.

Streamline, people!

Someone with a higher HDCP than mine trying to tell me what corrections I need to make

I have one work buddy who I play with often and he is always scattered. He can't find his tee or his glove. He was running late so he could not stop and grab anything to drink. I mean it's always something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone that doesn't play ready golf and ISN'T a newbie. I enjoy talking during a round but not as I'm lining up for a shot. Blatant disregard for replacing divots, fixing ball marks, or raking bunkers.

1) People who just do everything slowly and without purpose. This leads to senseless slow play.
2) People who are super sensitive on the course. Have some fun, take a joke, be able to laugh at yourself.

I have a few but 'negative attitude guy' is by far the worst, they ruin it for everyone. Confession; I've passed out probably 100 THP logo'd Epoch tees (like business cards) to golfers I'd just met, yet I've never told my own little brother about this site. He's a decent golfer, a good guy, and hilarious too in any other setting. But he's a just such a negative PITA on the course that I just can't invite him 'in' and risk him ever ruining a round for any of my THP brothers.

Not surprisingly, slow play seems like the most common response. So, let's expand on that.......what do you really mean by slow play?

I don't really mind the deliberate golfer who is trying to maintain a good round, or 'fix' a swing issue, or something like that. Heck, I'm that guy a lot of the time. I'm not trying to finish in 2 hours. I'll line up my shot, take a practice swing (maybe 2 if the first one didn't feel right), and then go.

For me, it comes down to just be ready when it's your turn. Don't spend multiple minutes looking for your errant shot. Don't wait until everyone else has putted before you start lining yours up. Don't sit in the cart waiting for your partner to hit, instead of walking 20-30 feet to your ball and being ready to go after he swings. Don't text or take a phone call and expect us to wait until you're done. Don't drop another ball when you hit a ****** shot, just to prove something....especially when there's a group behind us. Don't go hit out of the bunker when you just hit shot #9 into said bunker; pick up and let's go to the next one.

This one doesn't happen often, but I'm not a fan of the guy who insists on honors on every tee box. I couldn't care less who tees off first, and in what order thereafter. (I'm talking about recreational rounds, FYI, not match play tournaments). If you DO really care about honors, that's fine.....just be ready to go. If you're low man on the last hole, then be the first guy walking up to the next tee. Don't make the rest of us stand around leaning on our drivers while you take your time.

Cell phone usage - it drives me crazy!

Unsolicited advice golfer.

Slowness. Get your ass moving or we are leaving you behind.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk

I don't get riled up easily but I can't stand the guy who takes 37 swings to get the ball in the hole and never considers picking up their ball. I was paired with a guy who topped his first drive six times soooooo badly that the ball jumped forward twelve inches and he just teed it up again. There were two groups behind us and we're on the blues. I suggested he drop his ball where my drive ended up so we can get going but nope, he kept reloading until he got one airborne.

I didn't say another word. Drove to my ball, picked it up and skipped the hole to get away. Another single in the group called out if he could come with me and we had a looovely round.

One who stands behind the hole so he can watch my putt. I seriously have had this happen more than a couple of times.

Tie for 1st

Slow play and someone that is disengaged and just plays on their phone the whole time (including sitting in the cart and playing on phone while everyone else is standing out on the tee box etc).

The disengaged guy is number 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "Mr. Know it all" person.
This is life in general. People who thinks they know it all... just annoys me.

The guy that creeps on cart girl, the negative Nancy, and the guy who doesn't pay attention to where his ball finished.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I would say my pet leave is a bad attitude and Mr Excuse. Other than that I’m pretty easy to get along with. On the flip side I enjoy playing with older people. They are typically in a good mood and just enjoy being out. They usually have a lot of good stories to tell also.

The guy with a severe lack of situational awareness. Be ready, walk to your ball or take the cart while I hit. Please, let's not fall any further behind the group in front of us.

JM

Back