what kind of dog do you have?

Tucker is a Rottweiler, Lab and Collie mix aka 100% good boy.

A425A754-B82E-4C8F-961D-5EC39DCD34A2.jpeg

Weber is our lab/newfie, he's a slim 162lbs. :eek:

Attachments

• 20190826_203832.jpg
    20190826_203832.jpg
    995.3 KB · Views: 15
Definitely agree with you. I would look at getting one if my kids were teenagers but having younger kids that sometimes just don't know how to tone it down around a dog, the risk isn't worth it.
Get them as pups, raise them right and you have nothing to worry about. When you see something negative online it is in large part due to the fact the dog was put in a sh***y situation. A lot of smaller breeds are the aggressor, but you don’t hear that part...only that the Pit or Rotti came out on top. Don’t let the stereotype steer you away!!

Attachments

• 27BDB3E0-6FE0-45DD-BC6A-D68CCCE1B5F7.jpeg
    27BDB3E0-6FE0-45DD-BC6A-D68CCCE1B5F7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • C88D3630-1DBC-4CE0-81ED-BE4F0267D3BD.jpeg
    C88D3630-1DBC-4CE0-81ED-BE4F0267D3BD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
All that's left is our Shiloh Shepherd (softer temperament than typical German Shepherd but... they're BIGGER and shed a TON).

We lost our Cane Corso in August and our Chocolate Lab on New Year's Eve. 2019 has been a tough year on the doggie front. ☹
791b064d6b9af8ea2450361b91529fab.jpg

I have a 10-year-old Rat Heeler(rat terrier X blue heeler) that my 6-year-old teethed on. She has been a great dog. Got her as a rescue at 8 weeks old and other than getting crabby in her old age she is still a great dog. Also, I have an almost 1-year-old black lab, got her as a rescue at 10 weeks old. Other than typical puppy stuff, she has been a great dog with my 3-year-old. He climbs all over both dogs.

20191017_205209.jpg20191017_205027.jpg

All that's left is our Shiloh Shepherd (softer temperament than typical German Shepherd but... they're BIGGER and shed a TON).

We lost our Cane Corso in August and our Chocolate Lab on New Year's Eve. 2019 has been a tough year on the doggie front. ☹
791b064d6b9af8ea2450361b91529fab.jpg
Always wanted a Cane Corso, sorry for loses!

Always wanted a Cane Corso, sorry for loses!
Thanks, he was our best dog ever. As much as we've loved all the others, as great as they are and were, every family member and close friend agrees. Clyde was the very best.

Must be tirelessly socialized throughout the first year and regularly from there too. Following that, a well balanced Cane Corso, IMHO, is the world's best dog breed.

We have 3 doggos, all rescues. We just got our 3rd again after our Bassett passed last year just before the MC.
Yankee......a terrier mix, enjoys watching tv with any human. He is now 10 and best friends with @jdtox
Charlie.....a miniature schnauzer mix was homeless his whole life until he found us. He enjoys pillows and blankets and thinks he is human now more than anything. He is 6
Daisy.....our most recent addition is half black lab and half Great Dane. She thinks she is a 15 lb lap dog not her 95 lbs. she’s is 1.5 yrs old and loves @McLovin

Attachments

• 215CCC6D-E643-4649-8CDE-D9BBA08916F3.jpeg
    215CCC6D-E643-4649-8CDE-D9BBA08916F3.jpeg
    833.7 KB · Views: 5
  • F8BAC6C5-3013-417C-AFA3-59E2526DBD12.jpeg
    F8BAC6C5-3013-417C-AFA3-59E2526DBD12.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 55B0539B-32B7-451F-8B89-DAF16B32638B.jpeg
    55B0539B-32B7-451F-8B89-DAF16B32638B.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 4
We have a disaster and a sausage.
Their papers both say Black Lab, but their both shelter dogs. Who knows what they actually are, besides good dogs.

Love shelter dogs, we got both them at somewhere near a year old, though we got them about 7 years apart.

the old lady is mellow and laid back as can be, loves people and peace and quiet.

the disaster on the other hand is very active and is a huge cuddler. He’s had some trauma in his life, and he lives stressed out enough that he’s on doggie Prozac, which helps a lot.

I always tell anyone looking for a dog to go to a shelter, there’s tons of dogs there that need good homes, and will love you as long as they live.

Cisco is a 6 year old Chihuahua & Jack Russel mix without the Jack Russel chewing & digging. Got him from SPCA Las Vegas 3 years agol

Attachments

• 3 19 19 Cisco a.jpg
    3 19 19 Cisco a.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 8 12 17 Cisco.jpg
    8 12 17 Cisco.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4
We are on our third rescue cocker spaniel. They are a great breed with young children. We have four grandchildren who interact regularly with Lady. Several other children in our neighborhood make it a point to play and interact with her. I think they are a great breed for what you are looking for.

However, with any dog you as the owner have as much to do with how they act around children as the innate characteristics of the breed. Lady for example, understands that they are young kids and not adults and adjusts her expectations accordingly on many levels. But we had to train her not to greet people by jumping up on them as this overwhelms most young children.

We've had the pleasure of introducing many youngsters to a dog for the first time with Lady. Many of them really unsure, but curious. That's quite common. Sometimes that is amplified by a grandparent or parent with the child who themselves is unsure. It's really great to help them all have a great experience.

IMG_0058.JPG

Sophie

F1B Goldendoodle

Yeah, I think we would have the same problem, but we live on a golf course and have 2 huge trees at the end of our lot and after that is open course so the squirrels run up those trees and she can bark at them from inside the collar radius ?. One day I was on the course and she was on the side of the tree closest to our house barking and on the other side of the tree facing me about 10' up was a squirrel just frozen in place in fear ?. I love dogs!!!

Edited to add a picture of her sleeping. Never seen a dog sleep like this.

View attachment 8911372

My in-laws labradoodle ALWAYS slept upside down like that. Until then, I never saw it in other dogs. Zeke was a great dog - loved kids, friendly as hell, would play fetch all day long if you wanted. Tragically he died at 3 years old - had uncontrollable seizures & had to be put down. I still miss him.

I have a Bernese Mountain Dog (8 years old) and a Golden Retriever (2 years old) Both are fantastic with children. The Berner is much more protective but not as aggressive as a German Shepherd. Our golden is just plain dumb lol!

Im a big fan of the Gentle Giant breeds but they tend to have short lifespans and bone/cancer issues.

Cant go wrong with a Lab/Golden/Flat Coat retriever for a family dog! More important than compatibility with young ones is what the dog's needs are. Some need a more active lifestyle, some are content to be couch potatoes, some cant be left alone for long hours etc. what dog fits your lifestyle the best and is good with children and can behave in every typical social setting you will expose your pet to?

We have to be careful bringing new friends to our house because our Berner tends to be unwelcoming to strangers into her territory and it can be an intimidating experience. However, she is completely friendly in public spaces.

We have 2 dogs currently.
Roxy is a 9 year old Chiweenie that we rescued from the shelter. She runs the house, but loves to cuddle up.
Romeo is a 4 year old Puggle that we also rescued. He is such a great dog. I don't know how we got so lucky with him. He was an owner turn in. Turns out the owners had a baby, and the baby was deathly allergic to dogs.

We got Romeo to keep Roxy company after Cheech passed away last May. Cheech was a 13 year old pure bred Applehead Chihuahua. Poor little guy was completely blind and Diabetic. We had to give him 8 units of insulin twice a day. Through all his struggles and pain, that little tail never stopped wagging. He was my little buddy.

Some great pups here! I’m always amazed at the number of people who have dogs in the family.

We have three dogs; an Alaskan Husky who is a retired sled dog, a Husky-Pointer cross who is also a retired sled dog, and a working Belgian Malinios.

E6CFBF8F-F8F6-47F9-B7D8-85B85C69BB32.jpeg
08E197EB-CADC-4A6C-AF5E-73B5770DE0C1.jpeg
89C1581F-EE88-4084-8C77-6F4658D7385A.jpeg01D514F1-5323-4369-8D98-C8D4DC1386AF.jpegBED3CA6F-1EB8-4F1F-94BB-2D0E5D8B2ECD.jpeg

By the way, here is my German Shepherd, Kai. He is eight years old, we got him from a German Shepherd Rescue organization when he was five. Kai is a full German Shepherd, went to the rescue because he is a divorce dog (wife got him in the divorce, but then decided she couldn't care for him properly), and has a few Police/Sheriff K9 dogs in his family tree. He is my current "Best Dog I've Ever Had", is super smart, really well trained (some by the previous owner and some by us), and is great with my Grandkids (ages 2 and 5).

Kai.jpg

Datadude - I had a Gordon Setter, black and tan version of the Irish who slept in exactly the same position, only setters do it.

I have had a black lab, golden retriever and Gordon Setter.....and a daughter. We got the lab when she was 6 and they were devoted to one another. The lab and the retriever were perfect for young girls and she loved them both. We got the Gordon after she went off to college , to fill the holes left by her and the retriever.

I strongly advise going to a rescue centre and getting a dog. I got my retriever from there and he was marvellous. He had been in an abusive house where the man was violent to all. At first. if I laughed loudly, the dog would put himself between me and the girls to protect them. I took him to old people's homes as a PAT dog. He loved the attention and the biscuits. People with dementia who could not remember their son's name remembered Benny . It calmed him down and relaxed him so I could laugh again!

Go rescue or Golden Retriever...….or lab.....or shepherd………...or boxer........love a pit bull...…...…….Australian Sheep dogs look nice.........are you sure one is enough ?

Get your daughter to choose.

Bailey the boxer/lab mix. Shes crazy but shes the cutest, sweetest, most wonderful dog ever.
488c8617acc7878353238c1670599be8.jpg
c31b15df8ce7875db14a1e9fce14eb61.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back