What Makes Clubs Sell vs Not Sell?

Can't argue that, they've done seemingly nothing to help ME understand why this product would help MY game.
Its the same technology as the M1. And the M1 advertisement has been nothing about what the sliding weights do and only about the fact that theyre there. Oh and that they dont use metal in their metal woods. Even though they arent the first to do so. So what makes those two drivers so insanely different when it comes to sales? Is it because Jason Day went on a terror at the end of the year and TM used that as part of their marketing?

Marketing and brand perception. Take JB's Cobra for example. You don't see many tour users game Cobra, but you see Taylormade everywhere. If it weren't for the fact that I knew Fowler games Cobra, I would not know what he was gaming mainly because I see Puma decked out on him.
One of the reasons why I don't try out Tour Exotics, XXIO, or other lesser known brands is just that, they are not well known. TM and Callaway are huge when it comes to showing off their brand, both on tour pros and in advertising.

Price
Marketing

The last time I was at the local PGA Superstore, hitting bay 1 was "reserved" for demoing Callaway drivers, which got you entered into a drawing for Callaway stuff. Plus, you got a 2-ball sleeve of balls. In that bay, was fitting carts for Callaway, TM and Nike. If you wanted to hit other OEM's you had to go find them in the demo rack, or move to another bay. And, the store staff was telling everyone to go to the 1st bay because of the contest and free golf balls.

At my local facility, I don't think Cobra has very much floor space. And, you would have to walk past Titleist, Nike, Callaway and Ping to get to it.

I know Fowler is a Cobra guy. And, Fowler moves the needle. But, Cobra ads seem to be about flash, color, swagger, etc and not about distance and scoring.

Marketing and brand perception. Take JB's Cobra for example. You don't see many tour users game Cobra, but you see Taylormade everywhere. If it weren't for the fact that I knew Fowler games Cobra, I would not know what he was gaming mainly because I see Puma decked out on him.
One of the reasons why I don't try out Tour Exotics, XXIO, or other lesser known brands is just that, they are not well known. TM and Callaway are huge when it comes to showing off their brand, both on tour pros and in advertising.
Then how is Nike still at the middle of the pack and not at the top?

I also wanted to point out Im talking about the average consumer, not the educated ones that you would find where for example which is in reality a VERY small % of the overall market

Depends on the audience.

For me it's Performance 100%. Luckily I have a local shop that allows you to borrow clubs. Also a couple of outdoor door demo days are nice for testing as well. If it's not better than something currently in the bag it doesn't go in.

For example I play one fairway wood.

Tried them all and the K15 keeps winning out. Just bought my 5th one and it's back in the bag.

For the THP community there seems to be a lot of purchases based on "Group Think". Not saying its right or wrong, just an observation. If the leaders of the flock play it then the followers will try it. Right now it's Callaway getting the hype. When I joined this forum Cleveland was the "it" brand.

For the Masses its marketing for sure.
I heard more "that's Rocketballz" after a good tee shot 3 years ago than any other phrase muttered. I still see more TM drivers being demo'd in stores than any other.

I see "brand" at the top of the list, including recognition, perception, and prior experience. The last one being something that weighs very heavily when I am looking at new equipment, thus some of my "homer" tendencies. Performance would (or maybe should) be high on the list as well. Effective marketing tactics also are becoming even more important, because prices don't seem to be coming down, so there is a need to educate/sell the consumer on why spending a little bit more, for the new set, will be worth it.

Marketing and brand placement along brand perception are somethings that I think affect sales.

many of the avg consumers aren't full educated and do t do a lot of research before buying so the market campaigns will draw them in, what they see and where they see it in stores will have an affect and if a brand is perceived to be bad in the past it will probably hold that reputation for awhile.

Brand perception/history
marketing
success on tour
word of mouth
availability

Taking THP'ers out of the equation I think it falls somewhere in this order

1. Brand Loyalty- By this I mean most of the general public have a brand they like and will probably give that OEM "First Crack" at the spot in their bag. TM is a great example, because while the past few years they have flop after flop on their hands in terms of drivers, many will always go to them first out of loyalty IMO and then move one realizing the offering isnt best for their game.

2. Marketing - not just online or via social media, i'm talking about in the store the flashy display or the one that is right in front when you walk in will get the most looks based on positioning within the store.

3. Cost/Price Point - with so many OEM's offering 150% trade in value and loyalty bonuses, the cost of a new golf club(s) isnt as hard on the pocket book as it previously was. Price still matters and people want value, i just dont think this is the biggest factor as to why something doesnt sell

4. Tour validation/Identity- by this i mean who is playing what gear. Take Cobra for example, up until recently they were as flashy as they could get trying to attract the younger golfer. While i agree with that idea, the golfer with the disposable income is not their target audience and I think the "traditional golfer" might have been put off with the flash and spent their dollars elsewhere.

Taking THP'ers out of the equation I think it falls somewhere in this order

1. Brand Loyalty- By this I mean most of the general public have a brand they like and will probably give that OEM "First Crack" at the spot in their bag. TM is a great example, because while the past few years they have flop after flop on their hands in terms of drivers, many will always go to them first out of loyalty IMO and then move one realizing the offering isnt best for their game.

2. Marketing - not just online or via social media, i'm talking about in the store the flashy display or the one that is right in front when you walk in will get the most looks based on positioning within the store.

3. Cost/Price Point - with so many OEM's offering 150% trade in value and loyalty bonuses, the cost of a new golf club(s) isnt as hard on the pocket book as it previously was. Price still matters and people want value, i just dont think this is the biggest factor as to why something doesnt sell

4. Tour validation/Identity- by this i mean who is playing what gear. Take Cobra for example, up until recently they were as flashy as they could get trying to attract the younger golfer. While i agree with that idea, the golfer with the disposable income is not their target audience and I think the "traditional golfer" might have been put off with the flash and spent their dollars elsewhere.

I'm just going to agree with Mike completely...specifically with his take on Cobra which is exactly my feeling on why they haven't been more accepted by the golf consumer as a whole.

IMO because Nike gears itself towards younger golfers, who aren't in the game as much and don't have the money to buy new clubs every year.

IMO because Nike gears itself towards younger golfers, who aren't in the game as much and don't have the money to buy new clubs every year.
Seems like a really poor (pardon the pun) demographic to put your faith (and business model) in.

Seems like a really poor (pardon the pun) demographic to put your faith (and business model) in.

I don't disagree. But just look at how many people in the 40+ age range you see with Nike clubs...because I can't think of a single one. On the flip side, the people that seem to be buying clubs every year or at least way more often, almost always have TM, Callaway, or Titleist clubs.

Edit: For some reason I feel I need to say this, but I want to clarify that I'm not calling 40+ old. I'm just picking that age group out of people who tend to have settled into their financial lives and have more expendable income to spend on something like golf.

Brand name (this ties in with perception).
Price Point
Marketing
Aesthetics
Tour Use
Results

There are other factors, but for the majority of clubs being sold, that is my guess.
I agree with you and your factors. On a personal note, I don't let Tour Use add much weight in my decision, I know my clubhead speed is much less than all Tour Players. I do like to see Tour Use though, just don't use it as a reason to buy.

I agree with many things said above, I think local availability factors in as well

I completely agree with my fellow SW Missourian. Sure you can get anything on the internet, but if you want to try something, even just to touch it, certain things are not available in all markets. Especially our market. Lots of things simply aren't easily available so distribution usually wins out

I can remember 25-30 years ago at my small town golf course, 50% of the clubs you saw were Ping. Why? Ping only sold to golf courses at that time so they flooded our market with gear. Always demos to hit and new models to try. When you found something you like, you ordered direct. Not only were they great clubs for the time, but easy to get and you didn't have to go anywhere to get them.

Its the same technology as the M1. And the M1 advertisement has been nothing about what the sliding weights do and only about the fact that theyre there. Oh and that they dont use metal in their metal woods. Even though they arent the first to do so. So what makes those two drivers so insanely different when it comes to sales? Is it because Jason Day went on a terror at the end of the year and TM used that as part of their marketing?

I wasn't inferring that M1 has done anything for me either. The forum feedback on M1 has me intrigued.

The Cobra offering has zero marketing (IMO) and very little chatter here on the forum.

Callaway has everything going for it with the GBB. AND their trade-in program was a HUGE part of me acquiring that club.

In my opinion they do a terrible job of marketing their clubs while their apparel more than makes up for their lack of club sales. They also haven't hit a home run with any club that makes it that much better than a club that someone uses from a brand they are already loyal to.

It's not just marketing, it's the right marketing. Sometimes with so many innovations and technology sometimes things get lost.

The Cleveland wedge groove thing we discussed at Up & Down was huge for me. I think their method of protecting the grooves to maintain stricter tolerances is something I would have responded to in the past.

Marketing and tour use.

1. Marketing and how it looks - Taylormade is the king of this.

2. Pricepoint - If the club(s) are way out of the average persons price range they will not buy - not in todays day and age with clubs reaching their limits - there will be a club with similarish numbers at a lower price point

3. Tour Use - What is Rory, Spieth and Day using? Also, Dustin Johnson - hes a long ball hitter - average player will think whatever driver he uses will help their game.

the question as i read it is "what makes club sell?" which is a different question than "what makes you consider buying a club?"

to me, the question is asking about how consumers respond. so i'll go with marketing first and foremost, then price, then aesthetics, then performance. if you walk into a retailer, i think you're more likely to mosey over to the products you know about than the products you don't, hence marketing. if you see that product and it's too expensive, you'll start looking around for something in your price range, hence price. if the driver looks horrible to you or doesn't fit our eye for some reason, i think you're going to put it down, hence aesthetics. and finally, if you're in the what, 5-10% of golfers who care to compare before buying, you'll get in line for the launch monitor and test it.

edit: i don't think tour use matters by itself; i think tour use matters as a component of marketing.

Ego! The 6 inches between the ears plays a powerful role in whether a club gets purchased or demoed.

I didn't see it mentioned specifically, but how much the brand pays for floor space in the retailers.

I walk into most of the big box retailers here and the first thing I see are gigantic Ping, Taylormade, and Callaway displays. The Cobra, Nike, and Cleveland displays are smaller or moved back off of the main aisle. If I was a novice golfer equipment shopper, I would stop at the biggest, brightest, and closest displays to me as I walked through the door.

Back