What Surprised You Most in Your Last Fitting

adamw238

Reaction score
Handicap
I did a fitting last week at Club Champion and was shocked to find out what club and shaft fit me best. I ended up getting fit into an MP54 with a 125g Steel Fiber shaft. It was shocking because I'd hit the MP54s before without the results I saw with the steel fibers. Also shocking was that I fit into a steel fiber over the other shafts I'd been "fit" into at Golftec, PGA Superstore and Golf Galaxy.

So, what was most shocking to you in your last fitting?

I did a fitting last week at Club Champion and was shocked to find out what club and shaft fit me best. I ended up getting fit into an MP54 with a 125g Steel Fiber shaft. It was shocking because I'd hit the MP54s before without the results I saw with the steel fibers. Also shocking was that I fit into a steel fiber over the other shafts I'd been "fit" into at Golftec, PGA Superstore and Golf Galaxy.

That the stock shaft in my current driver was the best and beat out my previous driver woth custom shaft options.

hahahahahahahaha.....

I only laugh because I wasn't the one surprised - It was the fitter trying to get me to play a black tie in X.

That I needed 7 degrees of loft on my putter. My new set up is similar to Matt Kuchar's set up with the grip resting against my left arm forearm. I've also moved the ball back a bit in my stance and the combination has created a forward press that obviously de-lofts the putter. The good news is I'm putting better than I have in 25 years and my index is headed lower because of a couple extra made putts every round.

That I have always been told to loft up with my driver due to a slower swing speed and was fit into a Nike Pro 8.5* loft.

Getting fit into a low launch and spin driver shaft and seeing just how much better the results were after getting fit by a true professional with no agenda.

8° head.

At my fitting this spring being told my current irons produced numbers as good or better than the latest models so I should stick with them.

Just went through a iron fitting (as my clubs were stolen a month or so ago) Was determined to just replace what I had with the newer Mizuno models. Ended up with the right heads, but I have played DG S300 Sensicores FOREVER. The fitter had me try the Nippon 1150 GH shafts. Immediately saw increase in accuracy and distance. I used to hit my 8 iron 150 yards, now, I hit it around 175...

Hopefully get my bag rounded out in the near future...

That I needed to stick with stiff shafts across the board instead of moving into regular flex.

Where do I start. From finding out all my shafts were wrong swing weights and flex. From finding out the was tape and glue all in the shafts.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

9° driver head. Low launch, low spin shafts. Regular sized grips.

Just went through a iron fitting (as my clubs were stolen a month or so ago) Was determined to just replace what I had with the newer Mizuno models. Ended up with the right heads, but I have played DG S300 Sensicores FOREVER. The fitter had me try the Nippon 1150 GH shafts. Immediately saw increase in accuracy and distance. I used to hit my 8 iron 150 yards, now, I hit it around 175...

Hopefully get my bag rounded out in the near future...

I might need to see that fitter! That's quite a jump in performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might need to see that fitter! That's quite a jump in performance!

I think it is more a case of being lulled into using the same shaft for years and being passed up by better technology. I always got DGs in every set as they were always "a zero learning curve". But the newer, lighter shafts obviously better suited my swing. It opened my eyes and explained why all my buddies could hit there irons longer than me, but I was always way past them with my driver.

Only issue I have now is figuring which iron to pull after years of hitting it so much shorter. The Mizuno shaft optimizer suggested 3 shafts, none of which were DG S300s. A bit of a leap of faith to try something different.

What surprises me is every time I am fit for irons the specs are ridiculously different.

I realize all manufacturers are slightly different but we're talking inch differences in lengths, etc

That I need to be 1* up on my irons

My dad just got the steelfibers in his Ap2's and it's a fantastic change for him

I loved my club champion fitting. I was most surprised by the mizuno 850 driver with a kai'li being the best.... And also that I needed D5 swing weight on my irons and D6 on my wedges. Just incredible fun at that place.

What was most surprising to me was how the fitter approached the fitting based on what I told him I wanted out of the fitting. I wanted more consistency in my ball flight, and tighter dispersion. I got that and a slight distance bump over what I thought was already a good fit. Bottom line - trust the fitter (assuming they have a decent reputation).
My dad just got the steelfibers in his Ap2's and it's a fantastic change for him

I loved my club champion fitting. I was most surprised by the mizuno 850 driver with a kai'li being the best.... And also that I needed D5 swing weight on my irons and D6 on my wedges. Just incredible fun at that place.

Your irons are like sledgehammers, but they work.

How easy to hit the Miura irons were!!! Really forgiving for a small, forged head, and they were as long as my Apex! Great clubs!!!

I've been through full fittings twice now.

Looking back at the first fitting, Club Champion in late 2013, the most surprising thing was how much improvement I saw from light stock regular flex shafts to heavy stiff shafts in my irons. They increased the swing weight with lead tape on my irons at the time and I wish I knew what they were set at just out of curiousity. Knowing what I know now, I think I can go slightly lighter than the typical heavy 130 gram shafts and still have great results if I get the swing weight right. I'm playing shafts that are around 120 grams now at D5 and am very happy.

The second fitting was at a Taylormade Performance lab right at a year later. I had been playing 712 AP2's with DG S300's and tried the SLDR irons with KBS Tour X. I was absolutely shocked at how much further I hit the SLDR irons. The 7 iron carry was in the 180's and one of the shots had a total distance of 196. I ended up getting the TM 14 TP CB's. I think those SLDR irons would have been hell to distance gap with wedges.

That I wasn't asked to try playing left handed... Or the piano.

The lack of knowledge of the people who try to do fittings.

Back