What's one opinion on golf you will never change your mind upon?

PGA Tour pros take WAAAYYYY to long to play each shot. Seems like it takes them 10 minutes to figure out what freakin' club to use, on every shot. Too much information at their disposal. PGA needs to get a handle on this. Put them on a clock shen they get to their ball. Sponsors are going to get tired of paying for all the TV time. Get your distance, pick a damn club, swing!! The GAME will be better for it!!! Folks play like they are pros, and take all the time in the world to make a shot. Get on with it, we all want to get done while we are still young, or something like that. Putting too! You been up there waiting for your turn to putt, and you've been gabbing with the other players, instead of looking at your line and being ready to play. No wonder it takes 5+ hours to play a round..my .02*
Unfortunately, Jack Nicklaus won all those majors playing at an absolutely glacial pace, and people have concluded that's the way serious golfers should play. Guess what everyone, you ain't Jack Nicklaus. Hit the damn ball and move on. Why couldn't Bobby Jones have been the role model. His quote has always stuck in my mind..
Miss 'em quick.

A good short game can make up for a lot on the course, but you can't overcome penalty shots.

Unfortunately, Jack Nicklaus won all those majors playing at an absolutely glacial pace, and people have concluded that's the way serious golfers should play. Guess what everyone, you ain't Jack Nicklaus. Hit the damn ball and move on. Why couldn't Bobby Jones have been the role model. His quote has always stuck in my mind..
Miss 'em quick.
It's getting so bad, I can't watch anymore. They put baseball on a clock, let's get the PGA on a clock, too!! It's like they wait for the camera to be "on" them before they start figuring out what club to use. Get on with it...

I shouldn't have to hit from the back tees with my Fort Leavenworth group, I'm 63, I'm a grandpa!

I'd really like the tour to implement the shot clock into play. 60 seconds is plenty to prep for any shot. 1 or 2 penalties would stop offenders

Last edited:
Divots are GUR because the ground was damaged by another player and will not be “repaired” until such time as said divot is filled with divot mix and the ground returns to its original condition.
I said why I said :cool:
delete

Miss 'em quick.
Adding to the example above...So, you’re telling me that you have a game where humans need to move around acres of land, while hitting a ball, at times, very poorly, that eventually will need to be putted calmly into a cup, by some of those same people that have absolutely no respect for themselves, let alone us, drinking heavily too, and they somehow don’t follow etiquette on that very course?!? Oh, and many that are using that course as their training facility, and feel that paying a hefty amount of cabbage seems to give them the mindset to believe that they paid their dues like everyone else!!! I don’t see what can go wrong there! 😂😂😂

This is why I gave up worrying about the time it takes to golf, again, I stress that I play ready golf, don’t even begin to hunt for any ball that goes off the first cuts of rough unless I think that I saw white! Will just drop close to where I think it kinda went in, and should my 2 putt go terribly astray, will just pick up if the group behind me Is waiting in the fairway...but sometimes, those delays by others have allowed me to just enjoy the day with my son! He’s older now and has a very busy job, and when he has free time, I always prefer him to spend most of it with his wife and my grand-dogs, but when he can squeeze his old man in for some fleeting, father-son time on the links, I truly don’t care how long it takes!

But that being said, I do fully understand the angst of golfers that feel it should speed up! I do my part, but sometimes when it backs up, I just soak up this time with my son! Not sure if/when the day will come when I’m no longer here to watch my young lefty send a nice draw down the fairway...or show off his “sand-wedge” trick shot using a blade Ping putter by throwing it over his back shoulder and more times than not leaving his ball near the cup! It’s a pure joy to watch! So if we’re following your group, we’ll keep up with you, and will almost never hold up those behind us, but should you take a few extra putts or approach shots, this old guy will just roll with it! I’ve rushed around enough the past 40 years...time to soak up some “down-time” with my dude![/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Play the tee box you want. Don't succumb to peer pressure to play further back.

Adding to the example above...So, you’re telling me that you have a game where humans need to move around acres of land, while hitting a ball, at times, very poorly, that eventually will need to be putted calmly into a cup, by some of those same people that have absolutely no respect for themselves, let alone us, drinking heavily too, and they somehow don’t follow etiquette on that very course?!? Oh, and many that are using that course as their training facility, and feel that paying a hefty amount of cabbage seems to give them the mindset to believe that they paid their dues like everyone else!!! I don’t see what can go wrong there! 😂😂😂

This is why I gave up worrying about the time it takes to golf, again, I stress that I play ready golf, don’t even begin to hunt for any ball that goes off the first cuts of rough unless I think that I saw white! Will just drop close to where I think it kinda went in, and should my 2 putt go terribly astray, will just pick up if the group behind me Is waiting in the fairway...but sometimes, those delays by others have allowed me to just enjoy the day with my son! He’s older now and has a very busy job, and when he has free time, I always prefer him to spend most of it with his wife and my grand-dogs, but when he can squeeze his old man in for some fleeting, father-son time on the links, I truly don’t care how long it takes!

But that being said, I do fully understand the angst of golfers that feel it should speed up! I do my part, but sometimes when it backs up, I just soak up this time with my son! Not sure if/when the day will come when I’m no longer here to watch my young lefty send a nice draw down the fairway...or show off his “sand-wedge” trick shot using a blade Ping putter by throwing it over his back shoulder and more times than not leaving his ball near the cup! It’s a pure joy to watch! So if we’re following your group, we’ll keep up with you, and will almost never hold up those behind us, but should you take a few extra putts or approach shots, this old guy will just roll with it! I’ve rushed around enough the past 40 years...time to soak up some “down-time” with my dude!
[/QUOTE]
I get it! The problem is, most don't. Not saying run down the fairway, but keep a decent pace. If someone in your group is struggling, have them pick up, and move up with those that are moving the ball well. Prime time Saturday, or Sunday is NOT the day to bring on a beginner! Just be ready to play is what I am saying. No reason one cart can't be over on the other side of the fairway if that is where their balls are, and wait for the other pair to finish. Same with putting! As long as you are not standing in someone's line of sight, go stand behind your ball, ready to play. The PGA pros have a lot to do with this, as people see the time it takes them to play a hole.

Last edited:
A bad day on the course is better than a good day at work.

That is for me. A good day of work is different for me than say saving a life or changing the world.

Every golfer has to start somewhere. Don't crack on the guy shanking them on the range or on the course. Though, if pace of play becomes an issue, I fully support offering friendly guidance for some etiquette.

1. Your playing partner being pissed the entire round is no fun at all. Just walk back to the clubhouse.
2. Tiger is the greatest of all time.

Traditionalists in golf don’t want it to be inclusive.

Disagree on this one. I'm certainly on the traditionalist side. I want everyone who wants to get out and enjoy the game. I just want them to do so with manners, sportsmanship, and at least a little respect for the game itself. No different than what you ask of people who participate on your son's baseball team.

Disagree on this one. I'm certainly on the traditionalist side. I want everyone who wants to get out and enjoy the game. I just want them to do so with manners, sportsmanship, and at least a little respect for the game itself. No different than what you ask of people who participate on your son's baseball team.
You disagree on my opinion that no one will ever change my mind on? Interesting. 🤣

The PGA Tour fields in th 60s were orders of magnitudes weaker than fields now.
Based on what? Back then, the equipment sucked, the balls sucked! It's amazing that they could play under par back then. You try hitting a persimmon wood, and see how you do! A lot of the science in today's equipment was not even a thing back then..Balls were all rocks back then, and no layers. Balata was the best ball back then, and not sure when that became a thing. TopFlite and Spaulding were at the top of the golf world, as far as equipment, and balls concerned. Fitness for players back then was not even a consideration, and sure as hell did not make the money they do today, and have a private jet to get to their tournament destinations. Most of them drove their cars to these places, cross country. Or, they had to fly economy on commercial planes. Drive for a couple of days, and then play a qualifier, if needed, then play for the weekend, and do it all again the next week. Life was not so easy for those pros back then. Pros today don't appreciate what they have, and are a bunch of crybabies...

Based on what? Back then, the equipment sucked, the balls sucked! It's amazing that they could play under par back then. You try hitting a persimmon wood, and see how you do! A lot of the science in today's equipment was not even a thing back then..Balls were all rocks back then, and no layers. Balata was the best ball back then, and not sure when that became a thing. TopFlite and Spaulding were at the top of the golf world, as far as equipment, and balls concerned. Fitness for players back then was not even a consideration, and sure as hell did not make the money they do today, and have a private jet to get to their tournament destinations. Most of them drove their cars to these places, cross country. Or, they had to fly economy on commercial planes. Drive for a couple of days, and then play a qualifier, if needed, then play for the weekend, and do it all again the next week. Life was not so easy for those pros back then. Pros today don't appreciate what they have, and are a bunch of crybabies...
Skill level.

It's the hardest game/sport to become reasonably and consistently good at.

Back