Which would you play?

Your on the bookends of how far I will accept for a 7 iron. Hmmm this is tough I like the higher flight but give me club #1.

My scepticism leads me to club #2. My belief is club #1 will be more inconsistent with regards to distance control. More research will be required with regards to club #1 because I like high launch.

I would like to say 1, but the reality is I might have chose something closer to 2.

Speedblade 7 iron 30.5º 37"
TP CB 7 iron 32.5º 36.75"

I can hit the speedblade 10 yards further. It doesn't match your hypothetical though as they are only 2 degrees different instead of 3, and they don't have the same profile or lateral retention.

My scepticism leads me to club #2. My belief is club #1 will be more inconsistent with regards to distance control. More research will be required with regards to club #1 because I like high launch.

Just wondering why you think it would offer inconsistent distance?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If anybody says #2, they're lying. pants on fire lying.

What makes you believe there will be distance inconsistencies? Just assume that both clubs have the same level of forgiveness and equal distance loss on miss hits.

Your on the bookends of how far I will accept for a 7 iron. Hmmm this is tough I like the higher flight but give me club #1.

#1 has the higher flight.

I have a feeling that this is a way of letting people know that they should be playing more hybrids in their bag. Those are the specs off of a 7 hybrid and a 7 iron.
I think you're overthinking.

I would say club 1 because the extra distance but I personally struggle when my ball gets to high and playing on a windy day. I would choose club 2 for a more all season clubs.

What makes you believe there will be distance inconsistencies? Just assume that both clubs have the same level of forgiveness and equal distance loss on miss hits.

#1 has the higher flight.

Oops, well this is a no brainer for me.

I would say club 1 because the extra distance but I personally struggle when my ball gets to high and playing on a windy day. I would choose club 2 for a more all season clubs.

We have a lot of wind here as well. I'd rather take the extra height and learn to hit the ball low than have a low ball flight and have to try and launch the ball when it's a fine day.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Club 1. BTW, it exactly matches the specs of my 2-day-old Callaway XR Pro 7 iron with KBS Tour V110 shaft. Exact distance is not dialed yet but I'm confident it will be +/- 3 yards of the 175 yards figure in the description.

Club 1, but only because of the higher launch. I can tell you the 1/4" longer shaft will bug me for awhile. There's no logical reason it would bug me, it just would.

~Rock

Club 1, given the turf interaction is the same .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think 10 more yards for me will lower my scores. I do believe a higher ball flight will cause my scores to go up.

Yep, for this lets say all things are equal outside of what is stated.

Club 1 all day every day. Just made pretty much that exact switch recently actually.

Depends on if I'm trying to hit the ball 165 yards or 175 yards, haha.

In theory though, it's obvious that club 1 gives the better stats.

Alright, I'm curious, theoretically here which would you play? Why or why not?

Club 1: 31* loft, 37", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 175 yards for you
Club 2: 34* loft, 36.75", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 165 yards for you

Details: Club 1 launches HIGHER than Club 2, with a higher apex, and lower spin as well. Lets say for this that the lateral retention of ball-speed is the same on both clubs.

If I'm carrying it higher with an extra ten yards, and assuming the spin is where I need it to be (10+ yards would suggest it would be), I'm all for it. At this point, I am completely over launch. It's all about optimal spin and carry for me now.

If club 1's height is such that its descent angle overcomes its lower spin, then club 1.

Bascially I'd take club 1 as long as I can still hold a green with it. Of course if the next club up in club 2's set has similar launch to club 1, then it's something of a wash aside from the number on the sole.

If club 1's height is such that its descent angle overcomes its lower spin, then club 1.

Bascially I'd take club 1 as long as I can still hold a green with it. Of course if the next club up in club 2's set has similar launch to club 1, then it's something of a wash aside from the number on the sole.
From the OP
Details: Club 1 launches HIGHER than Club 2, with a higher apex, and lower spin as well. Lets say for this that the lateral retention of ball-speed is the same on both clubs.

Club #1, mainly due to the carry.

Club 2 (sick of jacked lofts - jkjk:D). Probably club 1.

Alright, I'm curious, theoretically here which would you play? Why or why not?

Club 1: 31* loft, 37", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 175 yards for you
Club 2: 34* loft, 36.75", minimal offset, smaller profile - Carries 165 yards for you

I am going with the Kobayashi Maru scenario and pick both clubs.
Club 1 is almost identical to my 7 iron in specs and club 2 is very similar to my 8 iron.
In my bag and for my game, both clubs are needed for different shots.

Club 1 and it's not even a question for me.

#1, now what's the catch?

Back