Added another couple to the collection….. the Auchentoshan as it’s a little leery, just to compare to the Port Charlotte which is heavily peated and my redemption just to compare the Nulu
FCA9F3DB-27FB-49CD-B8B6-179D8C4F2C8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Holy crap had a Cherry wood smoke Old Fashioned and damn was it good!!!
36B1DC4E-CC19-419A-8D16-63405C4D6E39.jpeg04ACEFD3-8BA6-4A12-B765-5E4E7EEADF52.jpeg

Tasting is complete. Best to worst left to right. Both me and my mate were super surprised to put the Port Charlotte heavily peated at the best overall. It’s a bloody superb whisky!
99A0EB77-622A-4563-86A1-0F3DEF9EC246.jpeg

Did Walmart think it hit its expiration date? :)
Not sure, to be honest. Typically when they heavily discount like that it means that product is being taken out of the set.

Not sure, to be honest. Typically when they heavily discount like that it means that product is being taken out of the set.
Lucky dog(y)

Some whisky tasting tonight with a buddy. Starting with the Glenfiddich which is my go to. Finishing with the bourbon just to see the difference between bourbons and whisky View attachment 9123073
This is kind of a shame since you are comparing whiskeys to whiskys! Bourbons and Scotches are NOT the only definitions of whiskey, although the language was born in the Scottish!

True that!

Last edited:
A couple of new ones to try
8F187D26-23C1-4F81-9F75-AF9A13259C63.jpeg

Buffalo trace is the cornerstone affordable bourbon, would 100% be my go to if it wasn't so hard to find.

Did not like 1792 small batch. The full proof version wasn't bad.
The more I drink BT, the more fond I grow of it.

Opened Caol Ila 12 the other day. It's Islay but it's a little more delicate - has apple and honey notes once the peat and iodine subside. Nothing is too aggressive though, it's nicely in balance IMO. A nice change from the typical super bold Islay.
PXL_20220928_011129289.jpg

Buffalo trace is the cornerstone affordable bourbon, would 100% be my go to if it wasn't so hard to find.

Did not like 1792 small batch. The full proof version wasn't bad.

Total Wine by me had the Buffalo Trace for 19.99 a bottle. Completely ridiculous. No wonder they had a sign that said 1 per customer LOL. My mate who I’ve been doing the whisky tasting with told me I should try bourbons. He was right.

Total Wine by me had the Buffalo Trace for 19.99 a bottle. Completely ridiculous. No wonder they had a sign that said 1 per customer LOL. My mate who I’ve been doing the whisky tasting with told me I should try bourbons. He was right.
$27 here, but always on the shelf. This is the bourbon I give friends that aren't into bourbons but know I am a bourbon guy.
I keep it in a decanter and they all think it is high end.:ROFLMAO:
I am not wasting one of my harder to get bottles on someone that can't tell the difference between EH Taylor and JD #7.

A couple of new ones to try
View attachment 9124167

Two excellent daily drinkers! I get apple pie on the nose from that Buffalo Trace. The 1792 small batch give me some fruity notes and a sweetness on the palate. The full proof version is better imo but both are solid choices. I did not care for the bottled in bond though, too grassy.

Didn’t get a pic of bottle at the rehearsal dinner. Got to have a few drinks of Rock Hill Farms at my sons rehearsal dinner last week. Mighty fine pour. 1B1F1CF0-4760-4869-88CB-5336AA3B0950.png

I looked for Buffalo Trace up here… not available.

It's available here, but might as well not be. I found a bottle at my local liquor store exactly one time, about 6 months ago! 25 bucks for a really good Bourbon! What I've found out since is that a little cottage industry has risen up around certain bourbons. The Ohio Liquor Control has a website where you can see the inventory of every state liquor agency that exists, and what is being delivered. Retired guys have learned the delivery days for these stores, and will wait outside before the store opens to get their hands on these bottles. They then go to certain on premise outlets that they have struck up deals with and will sell them bottles at inflated prices. This is how they make extra money in retirement.

My Brother has the exact opposite opinion. He thinks that Bourbons are just OK, but you should drink Scotch for some real flavor complexity! I tried that, but I just couldn't get past the smoky "peatiness" of Scotch. I'll stick with Bourbon.

So I’m on a cruise with a drink package that allows me to have any drink up to $15. Anything over that and I have to pay the difference. Always order doubles as each drink is 1 shot. In fact the waiters just asked “Do you want a double?”

I’ve paid $2.50 more for Bulleit. Had Chivas and wasn’t impressed. Never had Black Label. The bartender says Whistling Pig is the bomb. $35 seems rich. Anything I should try?
84AEE35C-2F39-4A59-A855-2E26E63B36B7.jpeg

So I’m on a cruise with a drink package that allows me to have any drink up to $15. Anything over that and I have to pay the difference. Always order doubles as each drink is 1 shot. In fact the waiters just asked “Do you want a double?”

I’ve paid $2.50 more for Bulleit. Had Chivas and wasn’t impressed. Never had Black Label. The bartender says Whistling Pig is the bomb. $35 seems rich. Anything I should try?
View attachment 9126261

wouldn't pay the extra for whistle pig. I'm always a bit underwhelmed.

I'd be living on jameson and Dewars on that trip. (dewars is a favorite of mine if it's going to be a long day of drinking as it tastes better with some water/ice)
Jack if I'm mixing.

would prefer woodford or gentleman jack, but not paying the upcharge consistently.

View attachment 9126261
Seems the best options are for Scotch. Iam not a scotch drinker so I would be drinking the bulleit. Nothing on the list is anything special for bourbons.

Bulleitt just went on sale around here for $25.99/liter. Not a bad price for a decent bourbon.

Back