I sort of feel like the bourbon world might be coming back to earth.

I've been to Northern KY the last 2 Saturdays and came back home with the best hauls I've had in years. I've never met a Russell's Reserve Barrel Pick that I've not wanted to buy and I've acquired 5 of them in the last 2 weeks. I also scored an Old Forester Barrel Strength pick, a Four Roses OBSF barrel strength, An Eagle Rare for retail and a Blanton's for a bit above retail but not for the the massive overcharge that most stores in KY want.

I'll be back in KY in 3 weeks for my Maker's Mark Ambassador tour. I'll try to keep myself under control that weekend because my wallet is about to start yelling at me.

It's a different experience. Adding a little water opens up the flavors in different ways. I typically add water in the form of a large clear ice cube but will also try a new bottle of taster neat, with a drop of water, and ice. There are some whiskeys I would only ever drink neat and others only with water. Figuring it all out is half the fun (and an excuse to pour just a bit more)
Interestingly enough, I only add a drop or two of water to scotch but very rarely ever bourbon.

I think the only times I've ever added water to bourbon was when something was a really high proof and drank really hot. I only added the couple of drops to take the edge off and try to get some more flavors to come out. it could be all in my mind but I feel like water actually changes scotch more. Maybe its because a lot of those seem to have more complexity from the used barrels they come from.

I never add ice. It's not for me but I don't judge people who do. I always relate a story I have sitting next to an owner of the Peju Winery at a dinner at the vineyard. She put ice in her glass of her own wine and leaned over to me in her eastern European accept and said "Don't ever let anyone tell you how to drink your wine. You drink it however you want to."

I sort of feel like the bourbon world might be coming back to earth.

I've been to Northern KY the last 2 Saturdays and came back home with the best hauls I've had in years. I've never met a Russell's Reserve Barrel Pick that I've not wanted to buy and I've acquired 5 of them in the last 2 weeks. I also scored an Old Forester Barrel Strength pick, a Four Roses OBSF barrel strength, An Eagle Rare for retail and a Blanton's for a bit above retail but not for the the massive overcharge that most stores in KY want.

I'll be back in KY in 3 weeks for my Maker's Mark Ambassador tour. I'll try to keep myself under control that weekend because my wallet is about to start yelling at me.
That is one reason I'm staying away from Kentucky. My wallet and my car would be unhappy with me.

Buddy gave this to me as a thank you gift:
View attachment 9245503
Bardstown has some good stuff. I really want to get the latest version of their Discovery Series that seems amazing. It is 73% a 13 yr KY bourbon that has the exact same mash bill as Russell's/Wild Turkey for anyone to draw their own conclusions.

It doesn't look like it's around Ohio so that might be something to search for on my next trip down in a few weeks.

That is one reason I'm staying away from Kentucky. My wallet and my car would be unhappy with me.
it's dangerous when I can be across the river in under 2 hours.

I also discovered this place the last time I was down there.

A very reasonable price for samples of bottles they open. I got to try a jim Beam from 1981 in a bowling pin decanter, a Maker's Mark from 1996, and a Woodford Reserve from 1998 and my bill was around $30 bucks. They were all great. The bourbon world is getting diluted today due to increased production. Getting a chance to try stuff made in a time where mass production and demand wasn't the king give a whole new perspective.

That being said. I just love the variety of single barrel selections common today and how 1 barrel can taste so different than another. Ohio is sort of terrible with that but I can go into KY and find tons of options I can't get here.

I go some Bourbon Themed gifts for my birthday:
IMG_2187.jpegIMG_2188.jpeg

Has anyone ever had Leftcross Bourbon got a bottle for retirement gift ?

Lottery win. I hope it is good.

IMG_2375.jpeg

Looks like a trip to the store is in order.
IMG_2961.jpeg

Last edited:
IMG_9855.jpegIMG_9856.jpeg

Sarcastic Comedy GIF by Amazon miniTV

I had this for the first time tonight and it is fantastic. Very soft smooth notes of cherry and cinnamon. My first impression was of a smooth red hot candy.

IMG_0372.jpeg

With my job....one never knows what I'll do most day. Today....I got to research this:

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 2.26.06 PM.png

yes @KY Golfer that is the NMR spectra from multiple barrels of Blanton's. :love: :love: :love: If only I got to "sample the data".

*not my work, reference is at the top of image.

With my job....one never knows what I'll do most day. Today....I got to research this:

View attachment 9251999

yes @KY Golfer that is the NMR spectra from multiple barrels of Blanton's. :love: :love: :love: If only I got to "sample the data".

Curious the backstory of this lol interesting nonetheless. Things I could have done with my chem degree…. Maybe a second career 😅

Curious the backstory of this lol interesting nonetheless. Things I could have done with my chem degree…. Maybe a second career 😅
back story..... we got a random email asking about ways to research Bourbon and Whiskey and if a facility at ASU could help them. I knew that NMR could help, so I did a little digging and found some references, and explained what it would take for my facility to provide that level of detail to them.

back story..... we got a random email asking about ways to research Bourbon and Whiskey and if a facility at ASU could help them. I knew that NMR could help, so I did a little digging and found some references, and explained what it would take for my facility to provide that level of detail to them.
Oh fascinating. Any chance it could lead to actual bourbon testing opportunities?

View attachment 9251999

Well we both had exciting days then. You got to study Blanton's and I got to shelter in place for an HF cloud :D. Gotta love chemicals.

Well we both had exciting days then. You got to study Blanton's and I got to shelter in place for an HF cloud :D. Gotta love chemicals.
Yikes. HF is SERIOUS chemicals. Glad no one’s bones turned to jelly.

Finishing off the last pour of Eagle Rare tonight while watching college basketball.

Back