White socks only?

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Handicap
I was reading a post on Facebook where people were naming the dumbest etiquette rules at golf courses and there seemed to be a recurring theme of private clubs that only allow members to wear white socks. I had never even heard of that rule anywhere before and I've had the blessing to play some exclusive places.

Has anyone ever run into that before? Just sounds odd to me. Maybe it's more prevalent overseas?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
New one on me. I only wear white no show socks but not because anybody told me I had to.

Hadn't heard of that one before

With pants, rule should be never white socks...

Haven't heard of that one myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I hear that the rule there is that IF you want to wear black socks, then you must wear them with sandals and shorts.

New one for me. White socks with white shoes and black socks with black shoes is how I roll. I like short socks as well, just above the top of the shoe.

New one for me. White socks with white shoes and black socks with black shoes is how I roll. I like short socks as well, just above the top of the shoe.

So what about brown shoes? Gray shoes? Orange? The custom fitted Brooks running shoes that I wear for golf (because of foot problems) are mostly gray, but I wear black, white, beige... whatever socks I grab that day. They only show about 1/2" above the shoe, so I'm not that concerned about it being a fashion faux pas.

I would have to buy some white sox if I were to play there. Stupid rule imo.

Seems like a strange rule to me, I wear only black socks. No way I would buy new socks to play a course unless it was one of the top courses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only wear black socks so I'd be in trouble lol

I suppose it's their place, they can make the rules. That seems like an odd one, though.
If that's a rule somewhere, I can use it to identify a course that doesn't need my money if nothing else.

By the responses that the post on Facebook got, it seems to be a hated rule at many places, but one that I had never even heard of before. I'm glad I'm not alone, I thought that maybe I was clueless and that more exclusive clubs may have that rule.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I only wear black socks be it shorts or pants. It's the old high school Goth in me. If a course required white socks I don't even own a pair.

White sox with white shoes and black sox with black shoes. That's how I roll on the course.

Until recently I have always worn white socks while golfing. Can't imagine being told I had to.

I learned in our endless debate before #TheGrandaddy that socks are supposed to pair with your pants, not shoes. Thanks LordByron!

That being said, white socks with black pants make you look like Michael Jackson. If that's what a golf course wants then I question their morals and taste.

Any rule beyond "golf attire" is stupid IMO.

Never heard this rule and is kind of crazy.

I learned in our endless debate before #TheGrandaddy that socks are supposed to pair with your pants, not shoes. Thanks LordByron!

That being said, white socks with black pants make you look like Michael Jackson. If that's what a golf course wants then I question their morals and taste.

Any rule beyond "golf attire" is stupid IMO.

That works for me if they want me moonwalking on the greens.

With pants, rule should be never white socks...

Haven't heard of that one myself.

Light pants and lighter colored shoes would lead me to white socks.

I generally wear shorts so my sock color usually depends on my belt and shoe color.

Light pants and lighter colored shoes would lead me to white socks.

I generally wear shorts so my sock color usually depends on my belt and shoe color.

Unless it's white pants, you won't catch me in white socks. Unless I'm in gym clothing.

White socks look good on some golfers.

The course I play in Brazil has a white, mid (I guess normal) length sock rule. But everyone seemed to ignore it, I wore black no show and had no problems. Seems like an old school type of thing.

So what about brown shoes? Gray shoes? Orange? The custom fitted Brooks running shoes that I wear for golf (because of foot problems) are mostly gray, but I wear black, white, beige... whatever socks I grab that day. They only show about 1/2" above the shoe, so I'm not that concerned about it being a fashion faux pas.

Don't know, I only own white and black and rarely wear the white ones, and I play 99% of my golf in shorts.

That's a strange rule. Do those clubs do the members laundry or something? Wow. I'd be in trouble. I don't think I have any socks that are strictly white.

~Rock

Back