Who are the most under achieving pros?

Lee Westwood puts em all to shame

I'm going different (and because I'm from Australia) - Jason Day.

This guy bombs it off the tee, has one of the most amazing short games around, and is one of the best putters in the world. And, after getting to no. 1 in the world, has put the cue back in the rack.

Sergio and Adam Scott

The two that get me is describing Graeme McDowell (4 wins since 2002) and Ian Poulter (3 wins since 1995) as big game players. Ha!

Sergio and Fowler. Both should have had multiple majors and a lot more wins.

I’d go with JDay and Scott before any of the others. They’ve been #1, so has Westwood. Day and Scott have beaucoup game - I’d argue more than Fowler, Garcia and others mentioned here - but little show for it.

The point about Poulter and McDowell is strong.

Based on talent, Rickie Fowler.

Just underperforming alone, Smylie Kaufman.

I’m not sure how you can call Justin Rose an under achiever. I wouldn’t class Rahm or Fleetwood as under achievers yet.From the OP’s list I’d go Fowler, but the greatest under achiever for me is, and probably always will be Colin Montgomery. That guy was the best iron striker in the world for years. Yes, he was up against Tiger in his prime, but he still should have knocked out 3 or 4 majors. The dominance that guy showed on the European Tour in the last 90’s, early 2000’s won’t be seen again for along time. He ranks as the greatest under achiever because the sole reason he never won a major was mental. Hearing noises in the gallery no one else could hear, reacting to the US crowds. He had the 2006 US Open won. But duffed an easy chip to hand the trophy to Geoff Ogilvy. Now the pressure is off on the Champions Tour, he has 3 majors. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I going with Phil, second most 2nd places in majors, in his career (37) 2nd place (27) 3rd place in 621 tourneys - over 10% close but no cigar. I bet the dudes missed more putts inside of 3 feet than half the pro's have for total putts in their career.
Can’t blame Phil, during his prime years he was competing against many who would consider the GOAT in Tiger Woods. Yet, he achieved over 40 PGA wins with 5 majors.

I’d say both Paul Casey & Rickie. Too really likeable guys, just don’t know if too nice and lack the intensity to walk over their fellow competitors. I’m hoping Rickie gets a major soon, would love it to be the Masters (when Tiger take a year off).

Charles Howell III, just never seemed to reach his potential.

Ty Tryon

Fowler/Scott in my book

It's Fowler.
I think he'll peak in his mid to late 40's, with a little less testosterone.

Right now it has to be Rickie

It’s ironic Fowler is the most underachieving, but if the question was. Who is the best player without a major. Fowler would also be #1.

Phil didn’t win his 1st major at the Masters until 34, but he did have 19 tour wins by age 31.

Last edited:
Thomas Pieters? Seems like he has so much talent.

Under-achieving pro - sounds like an oxymoron to me. I’d give my left nut to be considered an under-achieving pro.?

A guy that should win more is DJ. He admitted as much in a recent article I believe.

Under-achieving pro - sounds like an oxymoron to me. I’d give my left nut to be considered an under-achieving pro.?

A guy that should win more is DJ. He admitted as much in a recent article I believe.
Ricky has so many endorsement deals, thus making millions more than his golf winnings. I wonder if it factors into his performances record when contending on Sundays.

Westwood picked up his 25th European Tour win today. Add his US Tour win in his first ten starts. He gets up to 40 wins worldwide. Under achieving? His lack of a Major is his weakness, although he was in the top 3 many times.

Fleetwood is 29 today, so his under achievement has come early.:confused2:

Fowler and Spieth seem to be competing for the PGA under achiever of the year award.

I think Jon Rahm is the most underperforming. He has the length, the approach, and the short game. He is also a fantastic putter. His head gets in his way of winning big.

Fowler and Spieth seem to be competing for the PGA under achiever of the year award.
I think Spieth just had a stretch where he played way above his skill level.

Ricky Fowler. Should quit hitting a draw as he is a fader.

Back