Why Are You NOT Scheduling Lessons

I'm not that serious about anything other than enjoying time on the golf course with buddies.

wish I would have gotten lessons in 1984!!

Got my son lessons his freshmen year of HS and he's got a great swing!

I never had lessons growing up but my son is 23 and took a series of lessons last summer and really has a pretty, powerful swing that certainly looks better than mine. If he gets serious about the game he could be a single digit in just a few months I think. He’s got that rare effortless power and great balance. it’s fun to see him finally get excited about golf after my failed attempt to get him to play it when he was younger. I’m jealous of how his flexibility and how quickly he can clear his hips. ;)

E7A2AB58-782B-480A-A853-736896BCC69E.jpeg

5CC0F241-A7A6-4CBF-81FF-0A1E43EEE783.jpegA0F6441F-5939-4FA0-9F6D-C4F12508A29F.jpeg

Last edited:
I never had lessons growing up but my son is 23 and took a series of lessons last summer and really has a pretty, powerful swing that certainly looks better than mine. If he gets serious about the game he could be a single digit in just a few months I think. He’s got that rare effortless power and great balance. it’s fun to see him finally get excited about golf after my failed attempt to get him to play it when he was younger.

View attachment 8987254View attachment 8987255

that's so great. Glad your son is getting the itch too!

My son is 27 and just getting into playing more! He'll stomp me when he is able to put time in, and I look forward to that!

I’ve stayed on the 2-3 lessons per year track for the last 3 years. Looking to do the same again this year.

That said, lessons are a big commitment. Some of the swing changes we have made are grinding slow and incremental with times of two steps back for one forward. And looking at swing video with detailed feedback can be deflating. Maybe others figure this stuff out faster than me — or have a more solid foundation from youth/hs/college golf — but I have found the improvement path to be a challenging one that in retrospect would be easy to pass on for recreation ball spanking around a course. There is simething to be said for ignorance is bliss. That OT move I started with and ever present slice I called a fade was playable.

But I am one who never gives up once I set my intention. I am committed 100% to at least trying to improve. Lessons are a necessary part of that.

Time and Money. i just don't have the time to practice what i am being taught, so why waste the money.

I am not scheduling just due to golf season being like 4 months away (at least).

Covid restrictions also have everything shut down. Lessons are deemed non-essential, and are not permitted (along with like everything else).

Just canceled golf school for the 2nd straight year because of Covid. Not willing to risk 3 days of close interaction until after I get the vaccine.

Had lessons from two different pros last year. The conflicting information concerns me. Also, until my wrist heals, just not thinking about it.

I actually just reached out to the Academy where I have taken all of my lessons last week to inquire about a winter program once the pandemic restrictions are lifted and discovered that the pro I took lessons from is no longer with them. Past experiences tell me that it could be a challenge to find another pro like him.

We're currently in lockdown, so lessons are not currently available. Also the inability to practice any of the points learned during the off-season is definitely a disadvantage. My goal for the offseason this year was to swing a club at least 2 or 3 times a month so the "rust" doesn't have a chance to creep in, but then everything shut down so that plan went out the window.

My swing has evolved into what it is today (for better or worse) over the past 60 years. It has changed as I've gotten older, and it has changed due to some physical ailments. I don't think lessons could change it for the better.

Oh I am. Had a playing lesson yesterday, and I'm setting up a sided training circuit with my pro in a week.

For those on the fence, just do it, you won't regret it!

Great Post @Canadan Interesting to hear different thoughts on the 'why?' I went through the posts and tallied all of the 'whys' so far....nerdy, I know, but think it's fascinating:

#1 Reason: What's the Point? - 14 Tallies - This also included: "I suck, Don't want to try, Too old, or too far gone, Not disciplined, Buying Equipment is more fun" 😂
#2 Reason: Time - 13 Tallies - Most people just don't have time to schedule a lesson, drive to the lesson site, sit with the instructor AND THEN spend time at range or course practicing. We get it, it's hard to find the time, but if you just have 15-20 mins a day, you can get better.
#3 Reason: Winter/Season/COVID - 12 Tallies - How can I practice when it's terrible weather outside? This one is different for us because most of the practice we give our players is for them to do at home. 🤷‍♂️
#4 Reason: Find Right Person - 10 Tallies - No one is close to me, or I might light the person...Totally get this, you need to find someone you can get along with and knows what they're doing.
#5 Reason: Expensive: 6 Tallies - Self explanatory, totally get paying $100 or so every time you go see a coach is up there, this is why we made all the instructional videos up front (saves us on a big time part of instruction), and spend our time giving Feedback. We are more efficient, so we can only charge $50 a month for unlimited Feedback.
#6 Reason: I'm planning on it - 10 Tallies - 👍💪
#7 Reason: Already on it, signed up for Lessons - 7 Tallies 💪💪 👊
#8 Reason: I don't want to Retool my whole swing - 1 Tally...This is a bit of a paradox. Changing one thing will likely send you into needing to adjust other parts of your swing that won't match the new swing part, AND realistically, you can never just change ONE aspect or add a band aide and expect to get better. Maybe this should be counted in Reason #2

Again, great post, thanks for starting
Matt

I have enough time and money to play golf once per week.

Any lessons I book/pay for would mean less rounds played. No thanks.

Back in the day I took clients twice to golf school and participated also. Have a strong understanding of what my current needs are and reached out to a guy who seems to have a great rep in the area. That was 2 months ago. The dude get back and advised he was having back surgery and was shutting down for a little while. Hope to connect with him early spring here. I'm just not feeling motivated to put the work in while it is so cold out.

$$$$$.

I am torn, because I know it would be a good investment for something I love. Lessons are just very expensive.

Access to teach professionals in rural communities would be my reason.

I am currently waffling between scheduling lessons at the driving range near my house (which has a big golf school) and waiting for spring to work with the director of instruction at my club. The issue with both is availability. Both places get booked well in advance. Historically I have booked lessons mostly when I am struggling but I am thinking of making a bit of a shift for next year.

The question is simple.

Why aren't you scheduling lessons for 2021 yet (or at all)?

I've been asking myself that all day long today and I genuinely do not have a good answer.
You mean besides COVID? I personally dont do lessons because of time and because I dont want someone to try to remake my swing. Finding a good coach who you gel with is huge and can be the difference between getting better or losing the swing you already have.

Had a swing evaluation in November and the guy was very nice. Said he can tweak a few things. I told him I'd let the holidays pass and schedule up with him.

I'm apprehensive on getting a lesson, it's been probably about 2 years since I've had one when I used to be on a grind of lesson plans, I don't miss those days at all. Anyway, I'm happy with what I have but know the right coach can unlock a little more, whether it be distance or more consistency. I just don't want to change anything that isn't necessary.

Every time I see this thread I think to myself....Should I?

$$$$

Great Post @Canadan Interesting to hear different thoughts on the 'why?' I went through the posts and tallied all of the 'whys' so far....nerdy, I know, but think it's fascinating:

#1 Reason: What's the Point? - 14 Tallies - This also included: "I suck, Don't want to try, Too old, or too far gone, Not disciplined, Buying Equipment is more fun" 😂
#2 Reason: Time - 13 Tallies - Most people just don't have time to schedule a lesson, drive to the lesson site, sit with the instructor AND THEN spend time at range or course practicing. We get it, it's hard to find the time, but if you just have 15-20 mins a day, you can get better.
#3 Reason: Winter/Season/COVID - 12 Tallies - How can I practice when it's terrible weather outside? This one is different for us because most of the practice we give our players is for them to do at home. 🤷‍♂️
#4 Reason: Find Right Person - 10 Tallies - No one is close to me, or I might light the person...Totally get this, you need to find someone you can get along with and knows what they're doing.
#5 Reason: Expensive: 6 Tallies - Self explanatory, totally get paying $100 or so every time you go see a coach is up there, this is why we made all the instructional videos up front (saves us on a big time part of instruction), and spend our time giving Feedback. We are more efficient, so we can only charge $50 a month for unlimited Feedback.
#6 Reason: I'm planning on it - 10 Tallies - 👍💪
#7 Reason: Already on it, signed up for Lessons - 7 Tallies 💪💪 👊
#8 Reason: I don't want to Retool my whole swing - 1 Tally...This is a bit of a paradox. Changing one thing will likely send you into needing to adjust other parts of your swing that won't match the new swing part, AND realistically, you can never just change ONE aspect or add a band aide and expect to get better. Maybe this should be counted in Reason #2

Again, great post, thanks for starting
Matt

quick question about y’all’s service. I am someone that would love to take advantage of the pricing true motion has for unlimited feedback. My worry is I am a hands on learner when it comes to golf. I need someone putting my hands in the correct positions. Sometimes I “feel” like I am correcting something that I picked up on in a YouTube video that might pertain to my swing. But in all actuality I’m not changing the correct thing at all and may have me create bad habits.

how do y’all work through someone who isn’t correcting something the way you intend when you provide feedback?

I haven't found a coach I like since my coach moved away a couple years ago. I think lessons could help for sure and I'm not ruling them out, but my initial goals for this year are to actually go practice (weather and covid permitting) and get myself to a more consistent swing. After that, I can start the search again. I'm also not a huge range rat, so I need to be ready for the commitment if I think my swing needs significant work. I honestly think I'd probably be better off just getting short game and playing lessons.

Now that we joined a club, I will probably take a few lessons. Having easy access to practice facilities and pros will help me a bunch.

Even before taking lessons for my swing, I would love to get a playing lesson.

Basically because of Covid. Otherwise I would be. Although I do know what I need to work on from last year's lessons, and am working on it myself.

I can't find a decent teacher/PGA Pro :banghead: in my area

Back