Why Are You Playing the Ball That You Do?

Played Srixxon Q-Star tour the last 2 years. It's a decent ball that will spin some and the $ is a major factor.
Buying all/most of the balls when they are on sale makes a big difference in the wallet!

He's also an expert.

Early thoughts? Leader in the clubhouse?

I find the Prov1s all the time at my course. I like the feel of the Prov1, just doesn't do what I need it to do with irons and wedges. Like the greenside spin though.

If it's keeping you in play and you like it, seems like a winner to me.

I never truly realized how much difference you could see from one model to the next until I started hitting different ones on my launch monitor at home. It's wild.
I prefer a very soft Ball, never cared about distance. Loved my Stratas and Nike Black's that left bits of outer shell in Groves. One bounce and check next to Pin... Gosh I miss that.

TM Tour Response consistently gives me the best distance. Plus it provides greenside spin for my shot game.
I have a consistent swing which makes it easy to tell the difference between balls.

Don't play tour type balls, because of too much spin off the tee. So, I play a 2-piece ball. I like soft, and I have an inconsistent swing, so it helps me to stay, for the most part, in the fairway. I can lose 1, or have lost more than a dozen in a round. So, cost is a factor. I am comfortable with this ball, off the tee, or around the green. Only playing a dozen or so rounds a year, I never know what swing is going to show up on any given day I play. Maxfli Softfli matte yellow is my ball at this time. Plays just like the Cally Supersoft. Same compression, cover, feel.. I did play the SS for about 4 seasons, and then found the Softfli, and the great value, when DSG has a flash sale. Was never fitted, but just like the feel. I keep up distance wise with my playing partners, some of whom play tour type balls. Approaches to the green come in high, so spin is not an issue. I can get this ball to check with a wedge, with some roll out. I feel good about playing this ball. If I happen to lose a few, not to worry...

I've went through a lot of balls to first choose CSX based on numbers on driver, irons and wedges. But on the course I've found the CSX LS does those things as well and stays much straighter on longer shots, in the wind and on poor strikes than the CSX. So that's where I'm at currently.

My ideal ball would be CSX LS performance with the feel of CS putting.

Shout out to the Bridgestone B XS which was also great for the dozen I played through this year.

I’m retraining my eyes/brain to see the line and aim my putter face correctly and the Triple Track 360 works the best while I go through this change. The CS X LS fits my flight and spin profile.

IMG_0042.jpeg

Last edited:
Brand: I started using because of the Callaway event.
I had never had a golf ball I’ve settled into before.
This year I’ve done tons of untechnical research with rounds of each style numerous times.
I settled into the Chrome Soft because my best rounds always happened with those. It’s been just good overall the whole second half of this season.

There are a number of very good balls I could play with. I always tend to end up back with the TP5X because I like the feel, the flight window, and they seem pretty darn stable in the wind to me. I actually had my best driving round of the year with a CS-X, very workable and accurate, but it spun too much off the irons and wedges for my liking.

TM Tour Response consistently gives me the best distance. Plus it provides greenside spin for my shot game.
I have a consistent swing which makes it easy to tell the difference between balls.
I believe that Ball is replacement of my Project a if I remember correctly. Still have a few boxes left that I'm using up back when I played. Love the feel but I lose distance compared to XV where I have feel and distance.

With all the leaves on the ground I'll experiment with another ball for the first few holes and then go back to the Tour Response to finish up the last four holes out of nine.

I think the Supersoft is too soft for my swing speed and the Pro V1 is too hard so TR just matches my swing.
There may be other factors but I'm reaching places that I can't with other balls.
I'm one of those slow swingers who know exactly how far my ball will go. No excessive waiting for the group in front of me before I tee off.

Last edited:
I just finished playing a season with the ProV1X. I liked it a lot. Very good hold on the summer greens and nice high ball flight when I was striking it well.

Std. Chrome Soft. With driver it launches high with low spin and it does not curve off line as much on bad swings. It tames my spin with irons and keeps the ball close to the ball mark without spinning back off of greens. And the pillow soft feel is quite lovely.

White is harder to track in flight off the tee against cloudy/overcast skies for my eyes. I Tried a few color options and settled on green as the best compromise. During the color experiments I also found that looking down on a matte ball at address felt better to the eyes and, possibly but not for certain, seemed to feel better off the putter face. Separately, I decided I wanted more check in the short game, which meant urethane.

So it was down to finding a matte green urethane ball. Not a lot of options check those boxes, but Oncore has Elixr 2020 and Vero X1 in that category. I tried and liked both of them, but they ran out of stock of the green Elixr, so it's been Vero X1 for the last year. They got Elixr green back in stock not too long ago, but I've got a few dozen Vero X1 on hand now. Once I run out I'll re-visit.

I’m on the lower end of things spin-wise, so my fitter suggested switching to the ProV1X to get that little bit of a boost. Love it off the tee, and it’s been great for me on approach.

I’m on the lower end of things spin-wise, so my fitter suggested switching to the ProV1X to get that little bit of a boost. Love it off the tee, and it’s been great for me on approach.
Yeah it's kind of an underrated tee ball. People think of it as a control ball, but it really gets out the with the big sticks.

Yeah it's kind of an underrated tee ball. People think of it as a control ball, but it really gets out the with the big sticks.
I flip-flopped back and forth between that and the Z-Star XV, and saw equally good results off the tee. I may try to slip a 3rd option into the mix next season, but I’ll have to do some reading on others in that segment. Could use a bit of spin with the driver too apparently 🤷

If you don't have a regular ball that you play, why not?
My home course is littered with hazards, narrow fairways, not much rough and small greens. You can hit a shot in the fairway and still end up in a hazard. As a result, I find a lot of golf balls, a good third of which are premium balls (mostly ProV's). So, I haven't purchased golf balls in over a decade. I would like to play one ball all the time, but it would get too expensive. I rarely see anyone play a round without losing at least one golf ball, myself included.

Played Bridgestone e6 earlier this year and trying to finish up some PXGs my wife bought me since they have the Marine Corps logo…terrible ball, hard and unpleasant. Other than that, whatever ball I find while looking for the ball I lost 😂. Will need to give the CS a try after the positive reviews on this thread.

I was a tester for Sugar Golf's generation 2 golf balls, so I was sent a "cube" of 27 balls. That was back in June. I still am using that ball as it performs extremely well in all categories. I still have over a dozen left from that original 27.

I've went through a lot of balls to first choose CSX based on numbers on driver, irons and wedges. But on the course I've found the CSX LS does those things as well and stays much straighter on longer shots, in the wind and on poor strikes than the CSX. So that's where I'm at currently.

My ideal ball would be CSX LS performance with the feel of CS putting.

Shout out to the Bridgestone B XS which was also great for the dozen I played through this year.
I couldn’t play the XS because I spin it too much. I played the Tour B RX last year. I would say it’s pretty similar to the CSX LS for me.
I’m retraining my eyes/brain to see the line and aim my putter face correctly and the Triple Track 360 works the best while I go through this change. The CS X LS fits my flight and spin profile.

View attachment 9222256
I am a huge fan of the different alignment options Callaway offers. Currently playing the TruTrack.
I just finished playing a season with the ProV1X. I liked it a lot. Very good hold on the summer greens and nice high ball flight when I was striking it well.
A fitter showed my Dad the ProV1x would help him with launch, which he needed and give him more spin, also needed. He’s put it in play and it’s been a good move for him. We will ignore the fact I suggested the same thing to him before.

The plan is to stay all Srixon once I work through my current stash, Z star in warm weather, soft feel for the cooler weather and qst in between. Great yellow color, decent price and good feel.

I kind of stick to Srixon because I can get them at a great price. So it’s been XV in the summer and QStar Tour when it gets cooler and the XVs start feeling harsh. I do like how the ProV1x plays for me. But with all of the CS love here I may have to try them out.

I am in Chrome Soft right. Primary reason is getting ready for The Grandaddy, and have gone through all of the Chrome Soft lineup over the season.

The main reason I settled on Chrome Soft is the feel. At my speed, I don't notice very much (if any) difference between the balls. I enjoy the feel of the ball in all aspects of the game, especially around and on the greens.

Playing rhe TruTrack version right now, and I love lining the ball up and seeing how the ball tracks to the hole with the markings on the ball.

My home course is littered with hazards, narrow fairways, not much rough and small greens. You can hit a shot in the fairway and still end up in a hazard. As a result, I find a lot of golf balls, a good third of which are premium balls (mostly ProV's). So, I haven't purchased golf balls in over a decade. I would like to play one ball all the time, but it would get too expensive. I rarely see anyone play a round without losing at least one golf ball, myself included.
That sounds brutal.

Back