Why does everyone want to change my swing?

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been playing golf for a while now and I have recently gotten to a point where I'm comfortable with my swing, my equipment, and my game. I use vintage clubs and I'm constantly encouraged by just about every playing partner to upgrade to newer technology. Every time I play a round of golf, there is someone trying to give me swing tips. My last round of last season I shot a 79 on a decently difficult course, so I'm not that bad. It just bothers me that people won't let me be and always have some critique about my swing or my equipment.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Have someone video your swing, and that may tell you something.

But if it works, it works. I've seen a lot of unusual swings on the course and range, but I'd never say anything unless they asked. I had guys laugh at my swing, but over the last two years, with a good instructor, and me working hard, it looks in good form and more speed. I feel ya' though.

Most of those guys are trying to be helpful I bet. Still I imagine it gets annoying. Especially if they can’t play as well as you.

And there’s no doubt that modern equipment is easier to use. Again, for some people, playing shiny and new is the biggest attraction to playing, so they can’t imagine someone that’s not always upgrading.

I remember an article in a golf magazine back when Nick Price was a top player. They had a high, mid, and low handicap player and Price all play a round with antique hickory shaft clubs. I recall that Price shot par or better and actually liked how they felt, while everyone else struggled. Ultimately if you’re talented enough you can play anything.

Have someone video your swing, and that may tell you something.

But if it works, it works. I've seen a lot of unusual swings on the course and range, but I'd never say anything unless they asked. I had guys laugh at my swing, but over the last two years, with a good instructor, and me working hard, it looks in good form and more speed. I feel ya' though.
That's my point. I don't want to film my swing. I'm perfectly happy with it. I play 15-20 rounds a year. I don't do leagues. I just like swinging the club and playing my own game. I'm not a long hitter, but that's ok with me because I like to use all of the clubs in my bag. Hitting driver and short irons all day sounds boring and a waste of a full set of clubs.

You only need to look at the Tour to see that you don't have to have a textbook swing
Matt Wolff and Jim Furyk are prime examples - I would like to see all these people try and give them tips about their swing

If you are happy with your swing and how it gets you around the course, then just go with it and don't let the tips bother you

You only need to look at the Tour to see that you don't have to have a textbook swing
Matt Wolff and Jim Furyk are prime examples - I would like to see all these people try and give them tips about their swing

If you are happy with your swing and how it gets you around the course, then just go with it and don't let the tips bother you
But it's disturbing my peace. I went to an indoor driving range just to hit some balls and some stranger interrupted me to give me swing tips. He actually wanted me to try what he was proposing. I just glared at him in annoyance. Then he walked away. Do I need to carry a sign with me that says "please don't offer me your misguided swing tips"?

But it's disturbing my peace. I went to an indoor driving range just to hit some balls and some stranger interrupted me to give me swing tips. He actually wanted me to try what he was proposing. I just glared at him in annoyance. Then he walked away. Do I need to carry a sign with me that says "please don't offer me your misguided swing tips"?

I see your point, and to me, that is completely out of order, but unfortunately I don't think there is much you can do if people are stopping to give you unsolicited advice
Regardless of what I may see when I go to the range, the last thing I would even think of is offering advice to a stranger, and even if someone asked me for advice I would be hesitant to give them as I am not qualified to diagnose swing issues and I would tell them
The only person I would help is my wife as I have been present when she has had the few lessons so I know what her instructor wants her to do, so I can prompt her with his instructions when she hits a bad shot

I've been playing golf for a while now and I have recently gotten to a point where I'm comfortable with my swing, my equipment, and my game. I use vintage clubs and I'm constantly encouraged by just about every playing partner to upgrade to newer technology. Every time I play a round of golf, there is someone trying to give me swing tips. My last round of last season I shot a 79 on a decently difficult course, so I'm not that bad. It just bothers me that people won't let me be and always have some critique about my swing or my equipment.

You should play with guys that don't tell you that. j/k :p If the folks are trying to be helpful and don't tell you too much that would be ok for me, but if it was a lot I would wonder what their purpose was. There are always some that will critique no matter what. I usually ignore those by zoning their critiques out.

My buddy will sometimes say something about my swing, but it is rare and usually he is simply trying to help because I had a bad shot. He should know that I don't focus on bad shots or mishits, etc. I quickly move on from those as dwelling on those is useless for me.

The thing is he has never beat me once and I probably out swing him the majority of the time, so I am not as prone to taking a lot of advice about my swing unless I know for sure it is helpful.

Have you tried just telling people no thanks? It’s usually the most simple solution.

Have you tried just telling people no thanks? It’s usually the most simple solution.
Every time. But it's not about telling them I'm not interested in their advice. It is the unusual number of times I have to ward off critiques and unsolicited advice. It becomes a distraction for me when I'm playing a round or just hitting some balls at the range. For some reason, guys feel compelled to want to give me lessons.

And this never happens to me in any other sport. When I play basketball, no matter if I have a poor shooting day or not, no one ever tried to tell me how to adjust my shooting form. Never has happened in any other sport I have ever played. But for some reason in golf, it happens all the time. Even with equipment I get advice. I went to the Goodwill to see what they had in the golf bins. While I was looking through I saw a MacGregor persimmon wood. It was 99¢ so I thought I would buy it and try it out. A guy comes by and tells me I shouldn't buy it. It was old technology and I would be happier with something else. Why does he feel qualified in saying such things to a stranger? It's beyond me.

No idea. Majority of folks I play with never say anything unless I ask. My swing is no thing of beauty so maybe they think I’m a lost cause. :D I enjoy playing and I have fun so I’m good with it.

if you have a repeatable swing who cares how it looks play your game. ( now if you ask i may give a comment)

if you have a repeatable swing who cares how it looks play your game. ( now if you ask i may give a comment)
It is repeatable. And like I said, I am fine with my swing. I don't personally see anything wrong with it. I just don't like the distractions of others critiques. It's turning me off to the game.

well make it a game then if they open there mouth on your game its only fair to point out all there mistakes ( I know it sounds childish, but maybe they don't know it bothers you.) They will quicky get the hint.......... thou

We play with edict we don't give pointers/ tips until after the round(s) played unless they ask for help. Its just another distraction if your trying to switch things up in the middle of the course

It is repeatable. And like I said, I am fine with my swing. I don't personally see anything wrong with it. I just don't like the distractions of others critiques. It's turning me off to the game.

Only thing I can think of is try to use this as an exercise in maintaining your state of inner peace. Wayne Dyer used to talk about the universe sending people like this into your life as a way to test your ability to deal with them. I'd keep saying "No thanks" politely and learn to tune them out. Focus on what makes the game fun for you. If you focus on the positive stuff, the negative stuff will go away.

I know it's easier said than done, but it's a worthwhile practice. And nothing is more annoying to people who love to annoy others than to run into someone they can't bother.:devilish:

People are trying to be helpful because it's hard to imagine someone not wishing to play better. OP can take it as an insult I suppose but I've found unsolicited advice to be a pretty good conversation starter. I don't offer it but I've always been a sponge when it comes to hearing from others. That's just me I guess but what's confusing is that OP lists his cap at 36 but then boasts a 79. 36 cappers don't shoot 79s. If they did, they'd be 8 cappers. Not that it can't happen on a given day.

I'd like to see the swing he's comfortable with as he plays to a 36 and is constantly nagged to change.

That's my point. I don't want to film my swing. I'm perfectly happy with it. I play 15-20 rounds a year. I don't do leagues. I just like swinging the club and playing my own game. I'm not a long hitter, but that's ok with me because I like to use all of the clubs in my bag. Hitting driver and short irons all day sounds boring and a waste of a full set of clubs.

Okay, so you don't want to know what the guys are talking about?

I'd do it just to say, "yes, I know, now move along." lol

Sounds like you have a unique swing If that many people are giving you unsolicited advice. I can only think of one or two instances where I have been given advice unsolicited and I just said no thanks. Use some AirPods in your ears, that is a good deterrent.

Sounds like an unfortunate situation. None of us can control the behavior of others. If it keeps happening, about all you can do is grin and bear it. You sound confident and happy with your swing and game. Just ignore that background “noise” if you can.

Sounds like an unfortunate situation. None of us can control the behavior of others. If it keeps happening, about all you can do is grin and bear it. You sound confident and happy with your swing and game. Just ignore that background “noise” if you can.
One thing I have learned in life and work as well. There is what I call "noise" much like you quoted. I have what I call a zone out switch. I simply pay no attention to that noise and have learned to glean the gold nuggets from others' pointers when they come, which is not all that often. It takes some practice but it has served me well. :cool:

People are trying to be helpful because it's hard to imagine someone not wishing to play better. OP can take it as an insult I suppose but I've found unsolicited advice to be a pretty good conversation starter. I don't offer it but I've always been a sponge when it comes to hearing from others. That's just me I guess but what's confusing is that OP lists his cap at 36 but then boasts a 79. 36 cappers don't shoot 79s. If they did, they'd be 8 cappers. Not that it can't happen on a given day.

I'd like to see the swing he's comfortable with as he plays to a 36 and is constantly nagged to change.

36 is the default handicap that appears on your profile, so unless you change it, that is what people will see
I do think you can elect not to display it in your profile, but not 100% certain on that?

If you are shooting that well, I wouldn't change anything. Politely tell them your fine with your swing, and if they persist then just ask them is they would like to gamble a bit and take there money. :)

36 is the default handicap that appears on your profile, so unless you change it, that is what people will see
I do think you can elect not to display it in your profile, but not 100% certain on that?

Oh, well that clears that up. If OP is a single digit player, then yes, stfu everyone. ;)

Back