Why hasn’t the yellow golf ball caught on?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Speaking specifically on Tour, why do you think it hasn’t caught on? Tennis used to use white tennis balls but the visibility benefits of yellow took over, why has it just never quite happened in professional golf?

Because they perform worse.. or so I have heard.. 🤷🤷

• Staff
  • Staff
The fact that people really do believe this blows my mind still hahaha
I think because like lots of false theories. There I an aspect that could make logical sense. They are a different color, there is a dye or process difference that “could” result in performance differences.. it makes sense. Even if it is false..

• Staff
I think because like lots of false theories. There I an aspect that could make logical sense. They are a different color, there is a dye or process difference that “could” result in performance differences.. it makes sense. Even if it is false..
Entirely false haha

Entirely false haha
I agree it’s false. But someone says it and it makes sense. So it permeates.. just like rust causes more spin..

I agree it’s false. But someone says it and it makes sense. So it permeates.. just like rust causes more spin..
It doesn't?
Imshocked GIF by Luke Guy

I'd say that most people fall into comfort zones and just use what they've always used.

True, but the rust one at least was based on truth…they just gave credit to the rust instead of the lack of plating on the grooves hahaha! But true!

Yellows 1000% feel firmer. Not sure if there is any kind of performance difference but there is absolutely a feel difference.

It’s a stigma …
Players are loathe to change , and also some would claim visibility issues ..
Where there is none .

I can recall some years ago , when coloured balls first were introduced , including the 50/50 colour
Similar attitudes ,

If it performs it performs

There are players using them …

Because golf is a game of staunch tradition.

And because players don't like fun things.

Yellows 1000% feel firmer. Not sure if there is any kind of performance difference but there is absolutely a feel difference.
I’ve never experienced this, ever. That’s wild.

Visibility isn’t really an issue when you have a caddy and a gallery that will help you track and find your ball for you.

I'd say that most people fall into comfort zones and just use what they've always used.
I immediately thought the same. Just what they’ve all been playing and are used to. I’d think in tennis, with the ball moving, the better visibility helps. Not as much of an issue in golf and familiarity is more important.

This is fantastic question @Jman and I don’t have an answer BUT I have been toying with the idea of playing yellow this year

I don't know. I used the divides and really enjoyed them.

The ball I picked up going for 2024 is white though - so maybe I'm just an old kurmudgin?

This is fantastic question @Jman and I don’t have an answer BUT I have been toying with the idea of playing yellow this year
I mean at your….

Nevermind.

😜❤️

Back